Lithuania could miss the World Championship for Women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithuania could miss the World Championship for Women

it would be nice to have a new sub-forum or something (for the World championship - it starts tommorow).. nothing's happening anyways..

anyways, I'll start with something unusual (edit: it appears something's been going on already, so no need for new forums)
    Lithuania is in a desparate position and could miss the tournament (hopefully not, but it's more interesting this way )

believe it or not, they are stuck in French Guiana. the team was travelling to Brazil (town of Belen) from Martinique (where they were training) and, believe it or not, "French Airlines" decided to cancel the flight (and did not inform our team for two whole days) and instead promtly offered the team a different flight to their destination (on the "Air Caribean" flight). anyways, what's the big deal you would ask. well, it appears this new flight went through French Guiana, a small department of France in the north of South America (EU teritory, would you believe it). in Guiana a certain disease was spreading (don't know the name in English). the team was not told they shouldn't leave the plain. as soon as they left it to the Airport, they got into a zone of quarantine. surprise, surprise, but Brazil is one of the countries which does not accept anyone from Frenc Guiana at the moment. the only way to get in is to have a medical prove that you've taken a shot from that disease. not surprisingly geting a shot during the weekend was problematic. but the problems do not end with the shot - it appears you have to wait 10 days after the shot in quarantine. and pay 5000 Euros fine from each person. so no way our team can have shots in Guiana coz then they would have to stay there for at least ten days.
    now, as all interested bodies have been informed about this misfortune, maybe Brazill will let our team in. under such scenario, all players would take shots in San Paulo, where the Championchip will take place (because you have to stay put for ten days after the shot). as I write this various autrhorities are trying to arrange this, while the tam is in a state of shock. as I said, the tournament starts tommorow.

what's more, players can catch the disease as well. it appears in the case of extreme conditions 5-25% of all cases are fatal.

(the story is on the first pages of our largest papers today, btw - retold from there)

k
    Last edited by kestas; 09-11-2006, 04:23 PM.
    stop russia

i dont like girls play basketball , too tall , even taller than me ,
    faith in PAOK 06-07
    PAOK WILL WIN!!!!!!WAIT assoyo JOIN!!!!!!!

Comment

problem solved, they should reach Brazil today.

the match against Australia could be moved to Friday though..
      stop russia

Comment

Originally posted by kestas
        problem solved, they should reach Brazil today.

the match against Australia could be moved to Friday though..
        As LNK news said: LT NT reached Brazil and was asked to leave it, so nothing changed. Our girls can miss this champ

If our team will not be able to play against Australia, they will get technical lost 0:20 and if our team miss the game against Canada, we will not be able to continue it.
        Very sad...

Comment

so all this time (how much time exactly ???) where was Lithuanian team ?? in the airport hotels ?? planes ? or sealed in airport special facilities for quarantine ??

Comment

Originally posted by Algaxy
            As LNK news said: LT NT reached Brazil and was asked to leave it, so nothing changed. Our girls can miss this champ
            wait i don't understand. they did came to Brasil but then they were asked to leave the country?
            "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

As Kestas has stated the events have had nothing to do with the team and I blame these airlines for such a ridiculous and unprofessional array of mistakes.

The team basically was training in Martinique and were on their way to Sao Paulo for the tournament. The airline cancelled the flight without notifying the team (2 days prior to flight!). They were then put on another flight and ended up in some infested country without them even knowing it. Brazil does not accept people from this country unless they have been innoculated and in quarantine for 10 days.

Who to blame??? The airlines?? FIBA?? The managers of the team???

WHAT A SCAM. This makes me so mad..How can such a tournament be held in such a location....

Originally posted by FIBA
              São Paulo/Brazil - Due to unforeseen circumstances connected to their travel itinerary, the women’s national team of Lithuania was not able to enter the host country of the FIBA World Championship for Women in Brazil. The team from Lithuania was forced to travel, due to the cancellation of the flight originally scheduled, on their way to Brazil via French Guyana. Brazilian law foresees that anybody who wishes to enter Brazil from French Guyana needs a vaccination, which the Lithuanian team, not originally planning to travel through French Guyana, did not have.

The Brazilian authorities are currently exploring every possible means with the ministry of foreign affairs and ministry of health to enable the Lithuanian team to enter Brazil. Unfortunately up to 18:00 hours Brazilian time on Monday, 11th September this has not yet been possible.

During today’s Technical Meeting with all teams, the FIBA Sports Director Lubomir Kotleba gave the following information to all participating teams on the possible scenarios:

If Lithuania arrives before their first game against Australia on 12th September at 17:30, they can participate in the FIBA World Championship for Women without any further consequences.

If Lithuania are not able to appear on the court for their first game against Australia on 12th September up until 17:45 they will lose this game by default with the score of 0:2 and one classification point (a win counts 2 classification points, a loss/default 1 classification point).

If Lithuania arrives for their second game against Canada on 13th September at 17:30 they will be able to continue to participate in the FIBA World Championship without any further consequences.

If Lithuania are not be able to appear on the court for their second game against Canada on 13th September up until 17:45 they will lose this game by default with the score of 0:2 and one classification point and will be eliminated from the tournament. All further games of Lithuania will be counted as a loss by default for Lithuania and a win for their opponents.

All the teams present at the Technical Meeting including the Lithuanian representative unanimously accepted the above mentioned scenarios and expressed their hope that Lithuania will be able to participate at the championship.

Lithuania was drawn into Group B of the FIBA World Championship for Women together with Australia, Canada and Senegal. The three first-placed teams earn a spot in the Eighth Final Round, which will be played in two groups of six.
              Last edited by Lietuvis; 09-11-2006, 10:49 PM.

Comment

This just posted on FIBA. Is it correct?

The Brazilian authorities made the necessary arrangements and got an autorization to let Lithuanian team to enter Brazil.
                Last edited by stuart; 09-12-2006, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Picek
                  wait i don't understand. they did came to Brasil but then they were asked to leave the country?
                  Yes, our girls come to Brazil, but was asked to go back to the same plane and then they were send back to French Guyana....

Till now there is no any good or bad news...

Comment

I will tell only one thing - I hate it when the world-level events take place in the regions with all these crazy deceases, unreliable airlines and bureaucratic governments! Are they kids in the Brazilian sports and political elite so they cannot solve the problem of allowing all the WC participants enter their country?????

These are not terrorists, these are nice blond girls!... The last time anyone died from this decease we talk about was 1994..... Simply ridiculous! Brazil shows that it is totally a third world country...

Comment

Originally posted by Civilis

These are not terrorists, these are nice blond girls!...
                      do you have any pictures

Comment

Sure, here are those infected sex bombs the Brazilian government risks letting into their country:

I'm afraid the Brazilian guys would make them stay for the Rio carnival Don't those bloody Brazilians let them in!

Comment

Originally posted by Civilis
                          Sure, here are those infected sex bombs the Brazilian

I'm afraid the Brazilian guys would make them stay for the Rio carnival Don't those bloody Brazilians let them in!
                          nice
                          my fiancee also played bball so I kind of like women bball players
                          Last edited by Picek; 09-12-2006, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Holy Cow! These Lithuanian women sure like to put out! What on earth made the basketball team to model lingerie??? Not that I'm complaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemesis 11 (aka Sabas 11)
                              Holy Cow! These Lithuanian women sure like to put out! What on earth made the basketball team to model lingerie??? Not that I'm complaining.
                              players are those in full clothing..

btw, imagine it was team USA in our team's place.. right now we have a scandal, but no one cares.. oh well
                              stop russia

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information