Thread: Language barriers in basketball

Default Language barriers in basketball

Is this a huge problem in Europe? This sounds ignorant, but I really don't know. Do all European coaches speak English? Do teams hire interpreters? So if a Spanish club has French players, American players and Serbian players do they need to hire 3 different interpreters? How many players speak English and where do they learn it at?
    aim low, score high

Quote Originally Posted by sinobball View Post
    Is this a huge problem in Europe? This sounds ignorant, but I really don't know. Do all European coaches speak English? Do teams hire interpreters? So if a Spanish club has French players, American players and Serbian players do they need to hire 3 different interpreters? How many players speak English and where do they learn it at?
    Can only answer about Our team Maccabi TA... The coach always speaks English and I guess all the players ( Israeli,American And All types of Europeans) understand , at least I hope so
    30 years in the Yad

Quote Originally Posted by Farfiman View Post
    Can only answer about Our team Maccabi TA... The coach always speaks English and I guess all the players ( Israeli,American And All types of Europeans) understand , at least I hope so
    Well your coach is an American, at least by birth... what about the other Israeli clubs? But I guess Israel probably doesn't have a huge problem, as ~90% of the population can speak English... I was thinking more of countries like Russia, Turkey...

Also this is posted in the FIBA section so other members (Americas, Asia) can chime in. I can tell you in East Asia almost nobody speaks English so interpreters are always needed in teams. Most West Asian players (at least those from Jordan, Lebanon that played in China) seem to speak English well. There is a Chinese team whose coach is Korean and the team hired 2 interpreters, and I'm almost sure things got lost in translation in the middle
    aim low, score high

There's no problem in Europe. Almost all coaches speak English except just a few. Players also..these times every player at least can understand what others are saying..and you know, how people say, basketball is one and same language in every place.

So, do all coaches speak English to their players, even if the majority of the players speak another language?
    aim low, score high

So, do all coaches speak English to their players, even if the majority of the players speak another language?
    In Lithuania there aren't many foreigners. If team has few foreigners they usually speak Lithuanian and foreigners easily get to know main Lithuanian words which are "must to learn" in basketball. If coach want to give individual orders to player then he tell that way how player could understand.

Well your coach is an American, at least by birth... what about the other Israeli clubs? But I guess Israel probably doesn't have a huge problem, as ~90% of the population can speak English... I was thinking more of countries like Russia, Turkey...
    All Israeli clubs' coaches speak English during time-outs. There are cases when a coach wants to explain something to some specific player , so he can switch to Hebrew for a few phrases.

Knowing basic English basketball terminology is a must in Europe. Luckily it isn't such a huge challenge . I think 200-300 words/phrases can cover most of basketball situations, no one demand from player to be able to declaim Shakespeare.

Although it differs from one country to another. In Spain , for example, the majority of the coaches speak Spanish during time-outs . Translator stands next to him & tries to say something to non-Spanish without interrupting the coach. The only one ACB coach who I've heard speaking English is Pesic from Valencia.

All the coaches in the 1st league have to coach in English because all the teams have foreign players
    30 years in the Yad

So, Iceland NT is playing in China and I noticed their coach speaks English to their players during timeouts. I doubt they have any naturalized players or foreign coach. Is this normal for European NTs without naturalized players?
    aim low, score high

So, Iceland NT is playing in China and I noticed their coach speaks English to their players during timeouts. I doubt they have any naturalized players or foreign coach. Is this normal for European NTs without naturalized players?
    Is the coach Icelandic?
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur View Post
    Is the coach Icelandic?
    Oh OK right on. I thought the name "Peter qvist" looked Icelandic but it's actually Swedish.
    aim low, score high

If in the French team, they were to speak English, there would be something wrong for me.

but for clubs, whatever works
    Messina in madrid was speaking Spanish i think.
    It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Oh OK right on. I thought the name "Peter qvist" looked Icelandic but it's actually Swedish.
    Surnames ending -qvist, -kvist or -quist point to Sweden
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Default Re:

He's known as a spot up shooter right, so I wasn't expecting him to be creating a lot of offense anyway.