This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dato View Post
    FIBA allows having one naturalized guy in a roster. Therefore, we do not need to seek Georgian roots or some mystic spiritual connections to add the player. The fact that it is legal and equally applies to all countries is the best argument for me. Explanations like ,,he already lives in a country for years", "he is dating local girl", ,,his grandfather's close friend's neighbor was the national of my country" and etc. is less convincing.

P.S. Hope Hickman will at least partially compensate absence of Zaza.
    Dato, the thing is that rule has been totally twisted. The fact that FIBA allows one foreigner does not equal finding a foreigner at all costs just because you need a stronger player, even if he doesn't know where your country is. That's a club, not an NT. There's a difference. The rule, like in any other sport, was made to allow foreign players with some kind of attachment to a country to be able to play for that country. What we're seeing is totally unacceptable and it's even criminal, as even country rules regarding naturalisation are bypassed. It's a shameful, criminal and unfair behaviour. FIBA is to blame.
    More, mercenaries come to mind: we pay you, you are one of us, regardless of anything. Just money. Ridiculous.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
      Dato, the thing is that rule has been totally twisted. The fact that FIBA allows one foreigner does not equal finding a foreigner at all costs just because you need a stronger player, even if he doesn't know where your country is. That's a club, not an NT. There's a difference. The rule, like in any other sport, was made to allow foreign players with some kind of attachment to a country to be able to play for that country. What we're seeing is totally unacceptable and it's even criminal, as even country rules regarding naturalisation are bypassed. It's a shameful, criminal and unfair behaviour. FIBA is to blame.
      More, mercenaries come to mind: we pay you, you are one of us, regardless of anything. Just money. Ridiculous.
      Totally agree with you. I hope FIBA gets a wake-up call soon and alters this rule. Things have already gotten out of hand - it's time to clean up the mess.

Comment

I am sure that this rule was made originally with intentions in mind ,especially knowing that migration and assimilation is a real thing ,and happens quite often nowadays- but as every exception,it can be exploited. Fiba,as an non political organization,should stay away from judging eligibility and vetoing who might or might not so be suitable candidate to obtain one's countries citizenship.No guidelines can cover all nuances too.
        So my understanding is this - it is either get rid of this rule altogether(no naturalized players at all),or to introduce some damage control -like age/time limitations.
        Like no player older than 25 can obtain the right to play for nt team(unlikely),or to introduce time limits like in other sports (2 years or so from obtaining citizenship).
        Maybe introducing some quotas too - like no more than two players every 5 years.
        But i am sure all the lawyers would have a field day with my propositions
        So all in all ,it sucks
        And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
          Perhaps, my understanding of naturalization is different. I believe, that reason for it was raising competitiveness of tier 2 teams and to make basketball even more popular globally. To this end, I think this rule was successful. Moreover, even elite basketball nations started naturalization. Georgia, which is not most successful basketball country plays only one naturalized player, while stronger teams sometimes have 2-3 in their squad.
          P.S. Georgian basketball Federation has never paid for naturalization.

Comment

Working...
          X

Debug Information