View Poll Results: Will Manu Ginobili Make the Hall of Fame?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

15 71.43%
  • NO

2 9.52%
  • MAYBE

1 4.76%
  • EVENTUALLY

3 14.29%

Thread: Will Manu Ginobili Make the Hall of Fame?

Default Will Manu Ginobili Make the Hall of Fame?

San Antonio Spurs: Will Manu Ginobili Make the Hall of Fame?

By Dan Schultz (Featured Columnist) on March 24, 2011

During his decorated, nine-year NBA career, Manu Ginobili has grown to become a polarizing figure in the world of sports.

You either love his unique drives to the hoop, big heart and winning resume, or you dismiss him as just another flopper on a “boring” Spurs team that complains too much. In a weird way, this is undoubtedly a sign that a player has risen to greatness, as evidenced by the many fans that adore him (Spurs fans and the natives of Manu’s home country Argentina, in this case) and those that despise him (a lot of Lakers and Suns fans, I’m sure).

Now, much like teammate Tim Duncan, Manu is unquestionably in the midst of his last few years of his career, and many analysts and commentators will begin to bring up the question as to if Manu should be an instant lock for the Hall of Fame like Timmy.

Consider this right off the bat—he is one of two basketball players (the other being Bill Bradley) in history to win a Euroleague championship, an NBA championship and an Olympic gold medal. This is an immense feat and one that should not be taken lightly. That stat in a nutshell shows what kind of player Manu is; a true winner who has proven to be competent on every level of basketball.

Not only has he won just one NBA championship, he has won three. Not the “Oh, hey guys. I’ll just tag along for the ride” kind of rings that Adam Morrison won twice during his stint with the Lakers. Manu proved to be one of the most important players on the Spurs during each and every title they won during the '00s.

Whether it was some shocking, ballsy moves to the hoop that forced him to take a tumble each time (earning him the nickname “El Contusion”) or his big-time shots in the playoffs in 2005 that made many Spurs fans believe his dominance rested in his Samson-like locks, Ginobili’s fearlessness has never been questioned.

In addition to being a Sixth Man of the Year and All-Team NBA third-team selection in 2008, Ginobili’s name was also tossed around as a potential MVP candidate during the early stages of the 2010-2011 season.

It has almost come down to the point where you ask, “What more does he need to do?” When you look at it from a statistics and awards point of view, the man has done pretty much everything.

It is not only the history of winning he has amassed over his lengthy career that has won Manu so many fans, but it is how he has accomplished all of this. Consider the Lakers-Spurs game on March 5th, when the Lakers destroyed the Spurs on their home court. There was a brief moment where Kobe Bryant and Ginobili got into a small scuffle, instigated by a Bryant push. Instead of swatting back, Ginobili cautiously walked away from the scene. Some might consider this cowardice in the sense that “you have to stand up for yourself!” but others view it as keeping your composure at all times, even when the score is lopsided.

Let me just say from personal experience that if someone pushes you or tries to start something with you, it is almost instinctive that you do or say something back.

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images Some critics might claim that Manu has never been the “go-to guy” on his team and thus, he is not Hall of Fame-worthy. After all, the brightest stars should only be allowed entrance into that domed, unmistakably important-looking building located in Springfield, Mass., and Manu has mostly been a second fiddle all his career with the Spurs, right?

Nothing could be further from the truth. While the Spurs are still irrefutably Tim Duncan’s team and always will be until he hangs his shoes up, Manu has established himself as a bona fide star in the league who can take over a game just as easily as Tim can (and Tony Parker too, for that matter).

To put it simply, Manu is one of those guys you love to have on your team, but absolutely cannot stand if he is not on your team (while secretly loving the idea of him on your team). In a warped way, this is certainly a form of respect that cannot go unnoticed.

Perhaps it is the snarling and hysterical head coach of the Spurs, Gregg Popovich who said it best when asked about Ginobili’s effect on his team, saying “We would have two less championships here if it was not for Manu Ginobili. In my eyes, he’s the stud of the world.”

You will surely find a lot of Spurs fans who concur with that assessment as well.

For his on-court accomplishments, calm and cool demeanor, professionalism on and off the court, and ability to win it all at any level presented to him, Manu Ginobili should and will make the NBA Hall of Fame one day when it is all said and done.
    What do you think?
    Does this hard-nosed Gaucho deserve?

I think so....
    "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
    -El Padrino

Manu is a great player no doubt about but at the end of the day I'm not sure he's got what it takes to make the Hall of fame. I said maybe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt_Cf6-6TmE

Well, he should.. all hands high for that! One of the most amazing bball players ever watched .. many signature moves(I have a big respect for that).. true leader, true winner,warrior..

manu deserves it. he's the best thing to come out of south america and one of the best players in the world as well. he is a great player.

if he isnt locked for the hall of fame in the nba u know stern and company would be having a bad PR day with many countries around the world seeing the nba as too self centered on its domestic players.

yao ming is definitely going to be in the hall of fame, and yao has accomplished less on the court(off the court then more, IMO)

ginobilli is a definite lock for HOF status
    "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

I also agree that Manu deserves to make the Hall of Fame. Imo both he and Nowitzki are the 2 best foreign players to have played and have had successful careers in the NBA over the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid80 View Post
    I also agree that Manu deserves to make the Hall of Fame. Imo both he and Nowitzki are the 2 best foreign players to have played and have had successful careers in the NBA over the last decade.
    I think that Gasol comes second after Dirk, but this is a rather close statement
    Sexuality when one reaches their 30s is either mainstream or sick, but no matter what, it isn't pure

Emmanuel Ginobili is one of the most Internationally Decorated players to play on the NBA, that as well as being a three time NBA champions could seal all doubt.

I, for one is among those who think that Ginobili should have won the Finals MVP on the 2005 NBA Finals. Ginobili was a vote short and second to Duncan.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Quote Originally Posted by Phantim3dx View Post
    if he isnt locked for the hall of fame in the nba u know stern and company would be having a bad PR day with many countries around the world seeing the nba as too self centered on its domestic players.

yao ming is definitely going to be in the hall of fame, and yao has accomplished less on the court(off the court then more, IMO)

ginobilli is a definite lock for HOF status
    You have to remember it's the basketball hall of fame, not the NBA hall of fame, Stern (or anyone else in the NBA) do not have final say on whether or not any player is admitted.

Given his accomplishments with Argentina in combination with the Spurs I'd think he's pretty close to being a lock, but at the same time Reggie Miller is not in the hall of fame and was snubbed from this years ballot (funnily enough his sister is in the hall). So I wouldn't take anything for granted.
    Last edited by Dtown; 03-29-2011 at 02:05 PM.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Yeah, I'd say he's a lock based on any criteria.

Although, as Dtown said, the HoF can be a little political.
    Quote Originally Posted by SG-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt_Cf6-6TmE

Well, he should.. all hands high for that! One of the most amazing bball players ever watched .. many signature moves(I have a big respect for that).. true leader, true winner,warrior..
    Cool video. One out of every two highlights in that video shows Manu splitting a double team. I have never seen anybody except Manu do that with such grace and consistency. It's so cool to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid80 View Post
    Can't forget Nash
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    You have to remember it's the basketball hall of fame, not the NBA hall of fame, Stern (or anyone else in the NBA) do not have final say on whether or not any player is admitted.

Given his accomplishments with Argentina in combination with the Spurs I'd think he's pretty close to being a lock, but at the same time Reggie Miller is not in the hall of fame and was snubbed from this years ballot (funnily enough his sister is in the hall). So I wouldn't take anything for granted.
    Miller does not deserve to be in the hall. what exactly did he accomplish. being a great shooter is not an accomplishment.

maybe they could put him in there for being a loudmouth.

my favourite r.miller moment

Reggie Miller "The Bow" & Toni Kukoc "The Final Curtain" - 1994.01.21 Pacers@Bulls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQSvYR7_d1k

Quote Originally Posted by Delibasic View Post
    Miller does not deserve to be in the hall. what exactly did he accomplish. being a great shooter is not an accomplishment.

maybe they could put him in there for being a loudmouth.

my favourite r.miller moment

Reggie Miller "The Bow" & Toni Kukoc "The Final Curtain" - 1994.01.21 Pacers@Bulls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQSvYR7_d1k
    Great video. That's pretty embarrassing for Reggie, but he should still be in the Hall of Fame. He's one of the greatest shooters/scorers in the game, which I think is a great accomplishment. His sister Cheryl deserves to be in the HoF more, and so does Manu Ginobili, but Reggie should be there.

Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur View Post
    Can't forget Nash
    Of course Nash as well as P Gasol deserve to be included there as well..

Dirk should make it too. He led Germany to the bronze medal in the 2002 FIBA championships. He's the first Euro born NBA MVP.

Euroleague? Done.
    NBA title? Done.
    Olympic Gold Medal? Done.

What else do you need to be an Hall of Famer?

Quote Originally Posted by Alkaline Krogan View Post
    Euroleague? Done.
    NBA title? Done.
    Olympic Gold Medal? Done.

What else do you need to be an Hall of Famer?
    Precisely. It doesn't get much better than what Manu has done.
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas