Frédéric Weis retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frédéric Weis retires

So it is. The 2.17m centre that played for the French national team for years decided to call it quits after 16 seasons.
    His last team was Limoges and he played his last game last Saturday against Roanne.

Good or bad, he's already in the history of basketball:

Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post

So it is. The 2.17m centre that played for the French national team for years decided to call it quits after 16 seasons.
    His last team was Limoges and he played his last game last Saturday against Roanne.

Good or bad, he's already in the history of basketball:

The worst thing that happened to him is he's a victim of Vince Carter's "Dunk Dela Mort". Lol.
    Follow my blogs and tweets. http://dxjayrocksnotes.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/dxjayrock

Road To Rio 2016.

Kwentong Gilas ~ Gilas Serye. LMAO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dxjayrock2008 View Post
      The worst thing that happened to him is he's a victim of Vince Carter's "Dunk Dela Mort". Lol.
      Yes, although, in fairness to Weis, Carter never really "jumped over" him. Carter just kind of mashes Weis' face into his crotch. And Weis never had his hands up, so, I mean...

But he had a good career, despite some brutal injuries. He should be remembered as a very capable center who probably could have played in the NBA if things worked out a little better for him.
      "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
        Yes, although, in fairness to Weis, Carter never really "jumped over" him. Carter just kind of mashes Weis' face into his crotch. And Weis never had his hands up, so, I mean...

But he had a good career, despite some brutal injuries. He should be remembered as a very capable center who probably could have played in the NBA if things worked out a little better for him.
        he should.....even if he saves 50 kids from burnig bus he will be remeberd as guy who was dunked on by carter, brutally....no hope for the guy
        Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

FRA – Former France national team players call it quits

PARIS (Olympics) - All good things must come to an end at some point.

So it has proved to be for two former France national team players.

Laurent Sciarra, who dazzled fans at the 2000 Olympics with Les Bleus and helped fire them to a silver medal, parted ways with Pau-Orthez by mutual consent earlier this month and shortly after retired from the game at 37 years of age.

A 2.18m center for that France team, 33-year-old Frederic Weis, has also decided to call it a day this week because of knee problems.

Sciarra, capped 112 times by France, had a Sydney Games that he'll never forget.

In addition to averaging 11.2 points and 3.6 assists in more than 24 minutes per game, Sciarra had his best games against the United States.

In the last Preliminary Round game for both sides, a 106-94 triumph for the Americans, Sciarra had 21 points, four assists, three steals and a block.

After firing France to a 68-63 victory over a Steve Nash-led Canada in the quarter-finals with 17 points and then scoring 16 in a 76-52 drubbing of hosts Australia in the last four, Sciarra poured in 19 in an 85-75 gold-medal game defeat to the USA.

Weis averaged five points and 4.4 rebounds in more than 22 minutes per game for that French team.

A former first-round NBA draft pick by the New York Knicks, Weis was on the books of Limoges in France.

“I've had a lot, too many even, recurrent knee problems and we haven't found any solutions," he said on the Limoges website.

“The doctor advised me to leave it at that.

“We tried a number of different treatments and I've actually already gone over the quota (of treatments) by a mile so it's enough."

Weis was capped 100 times by France.
          Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
          Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
            who probably could have played in the NBA if things worked out a little better for him.
            If I remember correctly he was drafted by the Knicks in the lottery but that dunk basically destroyed all motivation to challenge North America. I may be wrong.
            aim low, score high

Comment

You're wrong. Weis was a great prospect during his Limoges years. He practiced a lot with Prodanovic (Tanjevic's assistant-coach) and was a real offensive threat.

A back injury killed his career. He had a herniated disc surgery few months before the draft (in 1999). He was out for almost five months and was unfit when he went to New York to practice and play the summer league.

And yes, he is now in the history of basketball. Not only because he was posterized by Carter, but because he was a major contributor for France at the 2000 Olympics. The guy owns an olympic silver medal. A result which is still the best performance ever for a french men basketball national team.

Comment

Originally posted by serbianhoops View Post
                And yes, he is now in the history of basketball. Not only because he was posterized by Carter, but because he was a major contributor for France at the 2000 Olympics. The guy owns an olympic silver medal. A result which is still the best performance ever for a french men basketball national team.
                I don't think Sinobball was saying he's not a good player. It's hard to argue that Weiss has incredible credentials. The "posterization" is completely overblown (see my post above) and Weiss stands tall with his basketball history alone.
                "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Working...
                X

Debug Information