Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FIBA Asia '11 Southeast Asia (SEABA) Qualifier [Jun 23-26 Indonesia]

Default FIBA Asia '11 Southeast Asia (SEABA) Qualifier [Jun 23-26 Indonesia]

Hey all! Any news when this event will take place? Who's hosting? This is the qualifying tournament for the 2011 FIBA-Asia Championships for men -- the qualifying tournament for the 2012 London Olympics.

Is the Philippines already qualified?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketstar47 View Post
    Is the Philippines already qualified?
    Qualified for the FIBA-Asia Championships this year? I am not sure. Some say we are because of the next 4 finishers in the Stankovic Cup last year. However, others say, that the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th place finishers of the Stankovic Cup were given one extra slot for qualification in their respective sub zones.

If the first scenario holds true, the SEABA tournament is a great opportunity to send our SEA Games team led by Norman Black -- without any Smart-Gilas or PBA reinforcements. This will help the coaching staff determine if added reinforcements are needed and extra exposure to our young college stars. If the second scenario holds true, this means SEABA is allocated 3 slots to make it in Wuhan, China for the Asian Championships.

Default exclusion of the Philippines from this event ...

I think that the Philippines should be exclued from this event and be automatically allowed to qualify so that they don't turn this event in a dunk fest like in the past and smash teams by 40 points or more.

But on the flip side it's a great way to boost confidence and allow the neighbouring countries to face quality opposition.
    "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
    -El Padrino

last 2 years these tourney was held in indonesia for twice ??
    Last edited by Hardy; 02-24-2011 at 03:15 PM.

I think this years SEABA tournament, wherever it may be, would a bit different. I am expecting to see Thailand be back in action after missing the 2009 edition.

The SEABA tournament is also a very good opportunity to see how much impact the ABL has made to the region. It might not make any difference with the gap between Philippines and the rest of the ASEAN countries -- yet! However, the good part is that local players got themselves exposed to tougher competition and some got discovered. A lot might have warmed the bench for their imports, but I am sure they learned a thing or two, which is vital to the improvement of basketball in our region.

I Think Indonesia and Thailand is the next to Phils the region..

Quote Originally Posted by rocketstar47 View Post
    I Think Indonesia and Thailand is the next to Phils the region..
    Unfortunately Thailand is suspended and Indonesia is ona rebuilding process.

Phil, Ina, Mas and Sing are entering the tourney while Thailand is suspended; top 3 finishers of the tourney qualifies for Wuhan. My predictions for this biennial event are Phi-Ina-Mas not in any particular order.
    you know why I am happy

Is Philippines sending a young team in SEABA if not whats the purpose
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    Is Philippines sending a young team in SEABA if not whats the purpose
    we're sending Smart Gilas for the purpose of hopefully qualifying to the FIBA Asia. ^_^ we're not officially in the competition yet.

kp you have a valid point but we are getting 3 out of 4 here, out of respect to our neighbors we should give them competition and opportunity..

Absolutely we are not giving respect here in my own opinion if we send a team that we know competing against someone else... it is not like eaba and waba or the gulf..

As I would like this tournament to continue will they be able to pull 4 teams at least thats a question but seems sea games is just around the corner baka nga...

Although I can't understand some of your points reamily,

but I think you are aware that we the players that are going to play in the FIBA Asia should play in the SEABA right?

Quote Originally Posted by kaiziken_pinas View Post
    Although I can't understand some of your points reamily,

but I think you are aware that we the players that are going to play in the FIBA Asia should play in the SEABA right?
    @ some point yes but in this point.. what will the team gain if we battle teams less the level of our competition but we arguing to nowhere as seaba is projected in june so most likely its the Gilas minus douthit are the ones participating... hopefully there is no major tournament or something happening that time because "sayang"

Will AKTV cover this tournament....Its a short tourney. June 23-26 only!

Quote Originally Posted by kaiziken_pinas View Post
    we're sending Smart Gilas for the purpose of hopefully qualifying to the FIBA Asia. ^_^ we're not officially in the competition yet.
    Smart gilas w/ marcus douthit at center This seaba championships will be a massacre for team philippines

AKTV should cover the games bcoz we want to see Smart Gilas
    punishing opponents

The SEABA tournament seems to be a tricky situation for the Philippines since it's the qualifying tournament for the FIBA-Asia championships. It is truly an overkill to send our elite Gilas squad even if they decide to bench Marcus Douthit for the entire tournament. No disrespect to our Southeast Asian neighbors and friends, but if they follow Asian basketball constantly, they already know the quality their team will be facing. It is also obvious that the SBP and national team aren't leaving things to chance as upsets do happen.

There is also the fear of some of our key players getting injured, but that's part of sports. Players can get injured even on practices so I bet there's no argument here.

Norman Black's SEA Games team, in my opinion, is good enough to clinch a spot for the Asian championships. Since that there are three spots, instead of the traditional two, allocated for SEABA, the team composed of current college standouts can win two games against a likely contingent of ABL standouts. There is also a possibility that or SEA Games team aren't prepared yet to play internationally due to their preparations for the upcoming college season thus fielding our elite mens team seems to be a more logical choice.

The SEABA tournament is a good opportunity to test some plays that coach Toroman has in mind. It is also a good avenue to give more playing time to players like Dylan Abbabou and Jason Ballesteros as well as for Don-Don Hontiveros to figure out more about Toroman's complex system. It would be cool to have Jimmy Alapag and Kelly Williams to get themselves slowly acquainted with the system (especially Jimmy) by joining the team in Jakarta, but it would interfere with the on going PBA season. Unless...

It truly is an exaggeration to a certain level to send our elite team in a low quality tournament -- again, no disrespect to our SEA neighbors. However, it makes sense to do it anyway as upsets do occur in basketball, and give the new recruits get used to the system in a seamless manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeon_Addict View Post
    Will AKTV cover this tournament....Its a short tourney. June 23-26 only!
    Is it live?

Smart Gilas will be representing the Philippines. We will not take any chances or whatsoever. We will go there to conquer and win the SEABA Championships and I bet we can do it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast