X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• France national team 2011

Collet: All Hands On Deck
    By Jeff Taylor

France coach Vincent Collet believes his national side couldn't have asked for a tougher path to the knockout stages of EuroBasket 2011.

The draw for the event was held on Sunday night in Lithuania and Collet spoke to Basketball World News immediately after discovering the outcome that has France in Group B with Serbia, Germany, Israel, Italy and Latvia.

Should they progress, they will clash in the cross-over with teams from a Group A that include defending champions Spain, Turkey, hosts Lithuania, Great Britain, Poland and an additional qualifying team.

"I'm not sure if this draw is that good," Collet said. "I think the first round, we play against all very good teams.

"And I think for the fourth, fifth and sixth groups of seedings, we got the best one from each.

"I think Israel, Italy for the fifth one and Latvia for the sixth one so far me, that's the most difficult for us.

"We're going to play against good teams every day. As we know the competition will be very long, much more so than other competitions, and this is going to be one very important point for success.

"The main problem is to be in the top two from the first round.

"This gives you the best chance of going to the quarter-finals, especially because we are going to cross with Group A which is for me, the best (hardest) one."

Collet didn't have the luxury of several NBA players that would have helped Les Bleus immeasurably last summer at the FIBA World Championship in Turkey.

Tony Parker, Ronny Turiaf, Joakim Noah, Mickael Pietrus and Rodrigue Beaubois were unable to play for a myriad of reasons.

What are the lessons he learned from 2010, when France lost in the first knockout game to Turkey?

"The first lesson I learned is that you need to have your best players to have the best chance, especially at a European Championship where the level is really very high and the second one is to have a very good preparation because the competition is long and you must fight day after day," Collet said.

"You may be good one game, two games - but it's not enough.

"I think we need to have a real bench to be able to reach our goal which is to go very far.

"So it's very important that we have a complete group because when I see the draw tonight, already to go to the quarter-finals, it will be eight battles and to be alive after these eight battles, you need to have a real team."

As for Group B, Collet says no team will be taken lightly, especially Serbia.

A young Germany are also on the way up.

"For sure," Collet said. "You know, two years ago (EuroBasket 2009 in Poland), Dirk Nowitzki was not there and it was very difficult to beat them.

"They were young guys and we didn't know them at this time. Since then, they have improved and now we know how good they could be.

"Serbia? For sure they went to the Semi-Finals last year at the World Championship and were finalists two years ago at the European Championship and they also have a young team, improving each year with Coach (Dusan) Ivkovic.

"We know that Serbia will be the favorite team of the group but there are three qualified teams."
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

We are gonna to win it all. Mark my words.

Comment

For five years you could be winners if you had paid money to get Noah in your NTs

Now, as your golden generation is approaching their 30s, it's becoming more and more difficult. You still have the skills though. Noah would make a difference between a good team and a great team for you

Let's see what you have in theory (Beaubois won't play, unless Cuban becomes a totally different person):

G- Parker, Diot, Albicy/Causeur
      G- De Colo, M. Pietrus/Bokolo
      F- Batum, Gelabale
      F- Diaw, F. Pietrus
      C- Noah, Turiaf, Moermann/Vaty/Koffi

Really, pick any bigs you want for backups. Ajinca, Petro, Mahinmi, Seraphin.. They can all be useful up to some point. But, if you don't have Noah, there isn't a chance in a million that you will win it all because you don't have any leader in this team. Parker or Diaw can excel in international ball but they are no leaders for a great team, simply very good players. Besides that, Parker is having an injury-free season, mainly due to his lack of summer action in 2010. The Spurs are going for a deep playoff run, being among the best NBA teams in history. Maybe he will be forced to not play in the summer (I hope that he is playing) and that would be a big loss

But the whole issue is Noah. Get him in and you are getting a defensive and offensive leader and immense contributor. He really has it all for the international game
      Sexuality when one reaches their 30s is either mainstream or sick, but no matter what, it isn't pure

Comment

I do agree having Noah is decisive for France. But not in terms of leadership per se, I think that role belongs to Parker. He's a much more reliable and moderate person than Noah, he leads both game-wise and psychologically. Historically the centre position has been weak for France and Noah changed that. If he plays they'll have strong top players in every position and indeed can aim for the medals. Without Noah Turiaf is equally good defensively imo, but not on offense of course.
        Artificial Nature

Comment

Expect some surprises (good ones hopefully).

Personnally i think the nt will be something like :

parker - diot - albicy or bokolo
          m pietrus - de colo
          diaw - batum - gelabale
          f. pietrus -tillie
          noah - turiaf - traore - seraphin or koffi

Tillie is still very young as a pro but he can bring interesting match up considering his size and profile (especially in a "twin tower" configuration, something we never saw for France as of yet). I expect him to be part of the group as an option under certain circumstances (vs opponent/match up).

I don't expect mahinmi to be in the group (but he might be there for the preparation games and in case of an injury), nor do i think moerman/ajinca/vaty will be there.
          Seraphin might be an option if noah can't come, otherwise he might be invited to the preparation camp but nothing else. Lauvergne, another prospect at pf, might be invited for the preparation as well.

I am puzzled about michael pietrus, as he did not play for the nt for a while and he is a risky player in the locker room (big ego). On the other hand, considering the number of games he would be an asset considering his man on man pressure.

As for Noah, i don't know if he will be a major asset in offense but most likely he would bring intimidation. I have been repeating here and elsewhere he would be a game changer for French nt but on the other hand compared to other centers he is way behind offensively (back to the basket wise at least, as a passer, for screen plays & pnr he is rather decent). We would recover intimidation though, and that is really needed for us.
          We are still lacking a big big man (if i can say), the only one available (and it depends on washington) is seraphin.

Comment

Originally posted by raph View Post
            Expect some surprises (good ones hopefully).

Personnally i think the nt will be something like :

parker - diot - albicy or bokolo
            m pietrus - de colo
            diaw - batum - gelabale
            f. pietrus -tillie
            noah - turiaf - traore - seraphin or koffi

Tillie is still very young as a pro but he can bring interesting match up considering his size and profile (especially in a "twin tower" configuration, something we never saw for France as of yet). I expect him to be part of the group as an option under certain circumstances (vs opponent/match up).

I don't expect mahinmi to be in the group (but he might be there for the preparation games and in case of an injury), nor do i think moerman/ajinca/vaty will be there.
            Seraphin might be an option if noah can't come, otherwise he might be invited to the preparation camp but nothing else. Lauvergne, another prospect at pf, might be invited for the preparation as well.

I am puzzled about michael pietrus, as he did not play for the nt for a while and he is a risky player in the locker room (big ego). On the other hand, considering the number of games he would be an asset considering his man on man pressure.

As for Noah, i don't know if he will be a major asset in offense but most likely he would bring intimidation. I have been repeating here and elsewhere he would be a game changer for French nt but on the other hand compared to other centers he is way behind offensively (back to the basket wise at least, as a passer, for screen plays & pnr he is rather decent). We would recover intimidation though, and that is really needed for us.
            We are still lacking a big big man (if i can say), the only one available (and it depends on washington) is seraphin.
            Why wouldn't Petro be considered as a good candidate for a big man on the French team? (after definitely Noah and Turiaf)... I think he would be a better option than Koffi and Seraphin.

If only Beaubois was allowed by Cuban to join the French NT as well...

Comment

Because he feels he is garnett reincarnated while he is softer than a chamallow

He wants to play at the 4, he does not want to do the dirty job (screens, fighting for the post position, defending his position and providing help defense). He can score as he has a very decent jumper, good ft shooting, but he is not a competitor. At that level at least.

He is still young, maybe things will change (and anyway he does not like collet, even though he never liked any french coach, go figure why).

I used to be nice with him (mostly because we have other soft player with mahinmi & vaty at the C and they don't bring such an upgrade even if at least they are coachable) but he is a true headcase obviously. Kinda thinking he is already a finished product while he has ton to learn about this game (like boxing out...)

Comment

Last night Beaubois played 1game after injury, is there any chance to see him in France NT during Eurobasket??

Comment

Possible 12-roster:

PG- Parker, Beaubois, Diot/Albicy
                  SG- De Colo, M. Pietrus/Bokolo/Amagou
                  SF- Batum, Gelabale
                  PF- Diaw, F. Pietrus, Koffi
                  C- Noah, Turiaf

Great team, indeed. Considering that this EB'11 is an olympic qualifier, I believe in full potential rosters for all the 24 teams, and could mark the debut of Noah in French NT.
                  https://twitter.com/LuksKasabian

Comment

You forgot Ian Mahinmi also.
                    Noah has already played in french national team 2 years ago.

Comment

I would really like to visit France and watch some basketball game.

Comment

Originally posted by dewojos View Post
                        Last night Beaubois played 1game after injury, is there any chance to see him in France NT during Eurobasket??
                        No. Cuban won't let him play.

Comment

Originally posted by Luíz for 3 View Post
                          Possible 12-roster:

PG- Parker, Beaubois, Diot/Albicy
                          SG- De Colo, M. Pietrus/Bokolo/Amagou
                          SF- Batum, Gelabale
                          PF- Diaw, F. Pietrus, Koffi
                          C- Noah, Turiaf

Great team, indeed. Considering that this EB'11 is an olympic qualifier, I believe in full potential rosters for all the 24 teams, and could mark the debut of Noah in French NT.
                          Amagou played for France in youth competitions but he changed his basketball nationality and played for Ivory Coast at the World Championship 2010.

Noah is the missing piece for years. He is the only french inside player able to dominate under the paint and to contain top inside players.

Florent Pietrus is a joke. An undersized inside player without offensive game and unable to defend one on one against taller and stronger players. If I were Collet I would let him at home.

Comment

Turiaf is in for France.
                            Artificial Nature

Comment

Parker confirms his participation too

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information