No announcement yet.

Asian Music Scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K-Pop was better in my day IMO (2001-2004). Now, I don't even know what artists are on K-Pop.

I have been listening to the following K-pop artists back then:

Jjang Nara
    SG Wannabe
    Dana
    Lee So Young
    Lee Hyo-Ri
    Fly to the Sky
    Wee Sung
    Kwon BoA
    Brown Eyed Soul
    Kang Ta
    Moon Hee Jun
    Epik Fly
    BooHwal

For J-Pop:

Utada Hikaru
    The Brilliant Green
    Sound Horizon
    Ringo Sheena
    Takako Uehara
    Namie Amuro
    Yuki Koyanagi

Other Asian Artists that listened to:

Jolin Tsai
    Coco Lee
    Tata Young
    Faye Wong
    Stefanie Sun
    Cynthia Alexander
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by eindhow View Post
      I really think that K-pop artists sing, dance, perform better than J-pop and T-pop.. With no offense meant.. JMO.. Maybe it is because of the hard training they undergo..

Discard the awful ones (Wonder Girls (nuff said), Girl's Generation (2 out of 9 can really sing, 1 can really dance.. They're just pretty), Super Junior (4 or 5 of the 13 can really sing, 3 could dance but nothing spectacular) and I can defend my case..

You will find it hard to see really good J-pop singers.. Even Utada Hikaru isn't that good vocally.. Yuna Ito is good..

F4 of Taiwan good.. Jay Chou's voice isn't that polished.. Compare Farenheit to TVXQ in terms of talent..

Not really familliar with C-pop so I won't comment..
      Completely agree with you, that's what I said.

Since you mentioned Fahrenheit let's review this performance to see how sad they are

Taiwanese pop (including Fahrenheit or Jay Chou) is pretty much C-pop BTW. Unless you were referring to Thai pop by "T-pop". Hey Tata Young isn't bad.
      Last edited by sinobball; 05-20-2011, 02:15 PM.
      aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
        Completely agree with you, that's what I said.

Since you mentioned Fahrenheit let's review this performance to see how sad they are

Taiwanese pop (including Fahrenheit or Jay Chou) is pretty much C-pop BTW. Unless you were referring to Thai pop by "T-pop". Hey Tata Young isn't bad.
        HAHAHAHAHA that is crap..

So it is basically the same huh? C-pop and T-pop/Taiwanese pop..

Yeah Tata Young is good! Basically the only Thai pop artist I know..

I can tell you this: Filipinos are the best singers in Asia..
        Philippines is in National Team transition mode.

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
          K-Pop was better in my day IMO (2001-2004). Now, I don't even know what artists are on K-Pop.

I have been listening to the following K-pop artists back then:

Jjang Nara
          SG Wannabe
          Dana
          Lee So Young
          Lee Hyo-Ri
          Fly to the Sky
          Wee Sung
          Kwon BoA
          Brown Eyed Soul
          Kang Ta
          Moon Hee Jun
          Epik Fly
          BooHwal

For J-Pop:

Utada Hikaru
          The Brilliant Green
          Sound Horizon
          Ringo Sheena
          Takako Uehara
          Namie Amuro
          Yuki Koyanagi

Other Asian Artists that listened to:

Jolin Tsai
          Coco Lee
          Tata Young
          Faye Wong
          Stefanie Sun
          Cynthia Alexander
          Guess you got Epik High and their song Fly mixed up.. HAHA K-pop is still good but these new ones keep coming out and they are starting to make K-pop look like crap.. Good thing a lot of the better ones are still there..

I guess some of the guys here find weird or.....whatever that I know much about this.. HAHA hey I like this stuff! I've been telling this to anyone who reacts: Convert these songs to proper English and they might be better that those Billboard-topping songs..

Comment

HAHAHAHAHA that is crap..

So it is basically the same huh? C-pop and T-pop/Taiwanese pop..

Yeah Tata Young is good! Basically the only Thai pop artist I know..

I can tell you this: Filipinos are the best singers in Asia..
            Even the so-called "Taiwanese" language is a Chinese dialect after all, Hokkien or Southern Min. Not to politicize the issue; but most of the Taiwanese pop artists sing in Mandarin and actually spend most of their time on the Mainland.

Tata Young is also the only Thai pop name I know. Actually I checked out more than 10 other Thai artists at one time but their names are too long for me to remember Oh come to think of it I also remember the name Anna Jamp, I had downloaded a specific video of hers once upon a time but never listened to her music....

As of your last sentence: I gotta say all the Filipino female singers I had listened to were quite impressive. The guys.... not so much.

Whether K-pop is better than XXX is one's opinion; but no pure Asian artist will ever top the Billboard Charts. To this date, the most famous Asian singer in the US is still William Hung. Enough said.
            Last edited by sinobball; 05-20-2011, 05:03 PM.
            aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
              Even the so-called "Taiwanese" language is a Chinese dialect after all, Hokkien or Southern Min. Not to politicize the issue; but most of the Taiwanese pop artists sing in Mandarin and actually spend most of their time on the Mainland.

Tata Young is also the only Thai pop name I know. Actually I checked out more than 10 other Thai artists at one time but their names are too long for me to remember Oh come to think of it I also remember the name Anna Jamp, I had downloaded a specific video of hers once upon a time but never listened to her music....

As of your last sentence: I gotta say all the Filipino female singers I had listened to were quite impressive. The guys.... not so much.

Whether K-pop is better than XXX is one's opinion; but no pure Asian artist will ever top the Billboard Charts. To this date, the most famous Asian singer in the US is still William Hung. Enough said.
              Ahhh, the Anna Jamp video..

Christian Bautista songs are the best!

Maybe the most famous Asians right now are Bruno Mars and Far East Movement..
              Last edited by eindhow; 05-21-2011, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Maybe the most famous Asians right now is Bruno Mars and Far East Movement..
                I have their albums and their songs are awesome.
                Follow my blogs and tweets. http://dxjayrocksnotes.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/dxjayrock

Road To Rio 2016.

Kwentong Gilas ~ Gilas Serye. LMAO!!!

Comment

you know why I am happy

Comment

Maybe the most famous Asians right now are Bruno Mars and Far East Movement..
                    well Bruno ain't pure Asian
                    you know why I am happy

Comment

Filipino jazz/funk

Keep running, big boy.

Comment

Towa Tei's Luv Connection, saw this one in MYX (filipino music channel) back in 2001 before they reformatted into a pop-centric channel.

while scouring the youtube, I have found one of my favorite jazz cover bands, [re:jazz] from Germany with their own rendition of the same song but in jazz.

you know why I am happy

Comment

This kid (Sungha Jung, born 1996) from South Korea is really awesome!

I just saw this for the first time....

Comment

North Korean pop with a female band

I'd say the band is really good.

However, if the Chinese translation of the lyrics on the video can be trusted, it's still a propaganda song ("Let's study, let's study, let's study for our motherland..."), though. China also has its good share of stuff like that but those songs quickly get forgotten. The music sounds familiar but can't remember from where.
                            Last edited by sinobball; 09-04-2012, 03:10 PM.
                            aim low, score high

Comment

Malay girl sang in 3 languages, won inaugural "Asian Wave" contest

The talk of the town now in Malaysia isn’t about the new iPhone 5 anymore. It’s about a nice-looking Malay girl who won an international singing competition in China that brought her to fame and made Malaysia proud. She is Shila Amzah, and the news of her winning and her splendid performance in the competition are widely circulated from Facebook to news and even radio stations in Malaysia. Now, she no doubt emerged as a new rising Malaysian icon.

I know pop music talent discovery is completely different from basketball scouting, because opportunities and luck are the biggest factors in pop music. But I think this girl definitely has what it takes to become the next Asian superstar, voice, looks and stage presence, all check marks. But I'm most impressed by her linguistic abilities. For someone who can't speak or understand Mandarin, her Mandarin pronunciation has to be the best I've heard, and trust me I've listened to a lot. (As comparison, Malaysian pop diva Siti Nurhaliza recorded some Mandarin songs but her pronunciation was unlistenable. Shila was singing live and sounded like a native speaker, completely commanding the songs after reportedly 1 month of practice. It's incredible.) We'll see how far this girl fares, I think far if she has good management. Malaysia has produced many singers popular in China, but all ethnic Chinese. This girl has a chance to become the first hijab-wearing one to break in the China market.
                              Last edited by sinobball; 10-01-2012, 09:53 AM.
                              aim low, score high

Comment

I know the global hype concerning PSY and his smash hit Gangnam style has been sensational but damn I think it's getting out of control if you guys have ever seen how many videos have been recreated from his clip...

Still though the crowds in South Korea are awesome especially in these recent concerts that took place at Korean universities!

Notes: Gangnam style became the most "liked" youtube clip with more than 3.2 million "likes" breaking the previous record that was held by LMFAO for their hit "Party Rock Anthem".

"Gangnam style" has also been viewed by almost 335 million viewers (as of today...1st October) but it still has a while to come close to the number 1 most viewed youtube video ever which belongs to Justin Bieber "Baby ft. Ludacris" and has almost 784 million views!!!
                                At the rate "Gangnam style" is being watched though I have no doubt that by the end of this year it should be able to overtake Bieber for the number 1 spot (if it remains to be viewed by at least 5 million viewers on a daily basis for the next 3 months).

Last edited by Khalid80; 10-01-2012, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information