No announcement yet.

Asian Music Scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asian Wave (pan-Asian singing competition)

Spent some good hours watched the last 7 episodes of the aforementioned "Asian Wave" show, even some established artists participating:

Not even the most popular singing contest show in China during the same time, but I really enjoyed it. As 2/3 of the judges speak Chinese it certainly can't be convincing for non-Chinese singers, but I'm not aware of any better contest show. Very refreshing to listen to judges commenting on songs in a language they don't understand, especially from non-Chinese speaking judges since 1/4 of the songs are in Mandarin (1/2 in English). Although music is supposedly trans-cultural, the judges must have the hardest job in the world, I mean how do you choose between Bollywood dance and K-pop dance without bias?

Which makes Shila Amzah's win the more impressive. I wonder if all judges are changed to Indian-speakers would she have lost? The other 5 finalists are all-Chinese speaking despite while less than half of the contestants are Chinese-speaking. But it's hard to say whether the judges' were intentionally biased. Meanwhile Japan's soul singer Emi Tawata would probably have been there if not for the anti-Japan rioters scaring her home. While I wanted Indian singers to have more success, I also can't see how you can sing a traditional Bollywood song to win a singing competition, although I think that Bhavin Dhanak guy is pretty good.

The 2nd best placed female singer Lau WanYin is also Malaysian. She one notch lower than Shila but still good (and decent-looking) enough to become a major star. I don't know what's in Malaysia's water or weather but China with 1.3 billion seem to get completely outcompeted by them in this regard, as I think I mentioned this before, half of the most popular C-pop female singers seem to come from Malaysia/Singapore. Not to mention they are almost all multilingual, e.g. this girl WanYin spoke fluent English and Mandarin on the show, was a Taiwanese Hokkien competition winner, and now she's singing in Malay in this contest:

Brought the house down. I don't know whether Malaysia has a age-shaving problem but she was supposed to be born in 1996... As Korean judge Lee Min-woo said, if she were born in Korea, she'd be more popular than IU. No shit.

BTW despite a bunch of screaming K-pop groupies on the stands, all the manufactured K-pop artists (I mean boy groups) in this competition are all mediocre. (The solo singer Whee was good.) Yes you all can dance while rapping in American (some of them black?)-accented English just like the other 500 groups in your country but I'd prefer Shila's Manglish accent better, she sings it just like she speaks it. This is Asia after all. Gangnam Style's success is certainly impressive but can K-pop as a whole really invade America? I think not. Plus I don't think it's coincidence that a US-educated solo artist was the only one to break out in the U.S. while the highly promoted Wondergirls / Girls Generation etc. all failed. I'm so glad Malaysian judge Eric Moo called them out on the show. Now he's being crucified on youtube comments lol.

Originally posted by Khalid80 View Post
    I know the global hype concerning PSY and his smash hit Gangnam style has been sensational but damn I think it's getting out of control if you guys have ever seen how many videos have been recreated from his clip...
    I must have watched 30 by myself. It was fun, but after a month I kind of get tired when half of the Youtube frontpage is still GS.

One of the better videos is a Hitler Gangnam remix one, I was shocked when Mandarin showed up at the end.
    Last edited by sinobball; 10-19-2012, 01:00 AM.
    aim low, score high

Comment

creepy indeed. but good!
      They call me THE HERO.

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
        I must have watched 30 by myself. It was fun, but after a month I kind of get tired when half of the Youtube frontpage is still GS.

One of the better videos is a Hitler Gangnam remix one, I was shocked when Mandarin showed up at the end.
        Yeah I liked that Hitler remix one

Now with his ongoing concerts in South Korea PSY managed to have a concert in Seoul where more than 80,000 fans showed up! His youtube video also surpassed 410 million this morning (October 9)

Comment

^ While 80,000 fans is scary, you have to consider the fact that this concert was free, so from an East Asian standpoint it's just "OK". Just this year, Taiwanese band Mayday had like a 200,000-fan not-for-free concert in Beijing's Bird Nest (2008 Olympic's main stadium). Of course, unlike PSY, nobody would recognize them outside of the Chinese-speaking world. I think Japanese band GLAY had even bigger crowds. I do wonder, how many fans Indian or Bangladeshi bands/artists attract in concerts, considering their population.
          aim low, score high

Comment

while asian bands/artists were awesome gathering crowds in their home country, american band metallica gathered crowds numbering more than a million in one concert in russia right after/during the cold war. That is how the cold war was won. hehe
            They call me THE HERO.

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
              ^ While 80,000 fans is scary, you have to consider the fact that this concert was free, so from an East Asian standpoint it's just "OK". Just this year, Taiwanese band Mayday had like a 200,000-fan not-for-free concert in Beijing's Bird Nest (2008 Olympic's main stadium). Of course, unlike PSY, nobody would recognize them outside of the Chinese-speaking world. I think Japanese band GLAY had even bigger crowds. I do wonder, how many fans Indian or Bangladeshi bands/artists attract in concerts, considering their population.
              Hehe the thing is when you live in countries where the total populaton doesn't exceed 10 million when you hear 80,000 you're quite amazed But I guess for countries like China, Philippines, South Korea, Indonesia, (no idea about concerts in India), etc... such figures are might not be so impressive.

Note: The biggest crowd ever in Lebanon was actually after the assassination of ex-PM Rafik Harriri in 2005 where it was reported that there was more than 1 million people down in Martyr's square even though the total population of Lebanon is close to 4 million.

Comment

watch this video to see how 'gangnam style' could be dangerous..lol

Comment

Comment

China's Utada Hikaru?

This chick, not all that good looking, came out of nowhere to take China by storm in 2012, having a triple platinum album which is unheard and unthinkable of a newcomer. In Maylaysia she stayed at top of the charts for months. Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore same story.

aim low, score high

Comment

87016260-bamboo-manalac.jpg

My idol Bamboo Manalac! Love his quality voice and power. Salute to this man.
                      Watch PVL games online live | UAAP Live Updates

Comment

Girls Generation!

HOT!

"No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
                        -El Padrino

Comment

Originally posted by Thegloryball View Post
                          PBA would die naturally let's just wait for it, the so called superstars of the league right now are getting older while our younger generations of player are getting smarter and starting to realize that PBA sucks and baduy. sort of more of a millenial thing lol playing abroad is way more cooler than playing locally. it is like idolizing BTS now than parokya ni edgar, rivermaya etc. ��
                          Originally posted by IPC View Post
                          Hey, I prefer Pinoy rock (90s to mid-2000s; E-heads, Rivermaya, Introvoys, Neocolours) to K-pop. It's better listening, honestly, and I personally think it's better. Shame we couldn't get that international recognition in music then.

As for the PBA, yeah, while I root for my team, and it's entertainment, the system sucks. Only a few teams invest in player development. Then the rules curtailing our players from going international. Then the stupid scheduling interfering with the international tournament schedule, starting from the Narvasa period, ultimately resulting in two drubbings from SoKor and the relatively poor 2017 FIBA Asia Cup performance, not to mention the 2019 WC fiasco.
                          Originally posted by CoJ View Post
                          i want to agree with you but KPOP and BTS, eww hahaha, their fanbase is more toxic and jeje than PBA fans

edit: not all pba fans ah!

Ely, Raymund,Buddy and Marcus parin
                          Originally posted by IPC View Post
                          Even with the recent statements from Ely and I think Raimund that they were never friends, what matters is that their music is so timeless and relatable (especially the first two lines of the chorus of "Pare Ko").
                          Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                          I agree with you on the PBA part but not in the OPM part. Rivermaya's songs are poetries disguising as songs.
                          Pinoy bands back then were good. E-heads, Rivermaya, Parokya ni Edgar, then you have Yano, True Faith, Sugarfree, Imago, Moonstar88, Up Dharma Down, then Neocolours and Introvoys.

How do we get our music, old or new, to get recognized internationally?

Comment

Here's to hoping that 2022 becomes a good year for Filipino music. Some pop band called SB19 is being recognized in the international scene.

Hopefully, a rock band can break into the international scene.

Comment

so any of you guys watching the Eraserheads concert this December?

Comment

Originally posted by CoJ View Post
                                so any of you guys watching the Eraserheads concert this December?
                                Wish I had the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information