X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Nike Hoop Summit

2011 Nike Hoop Summit U.S. Roster Announced

(From our friends at USA Basketball)
    COLORADO SPRINGS, COLO. (Jan. 16, 2011) - Featuring four, two-time gold medalists and eight gold medal winners overall, USA Basketball today announced the 10 players and coaching staff for the 2011 USA Junior National Select Team, which will compete against the World Select Team in the 2011 Nike Hoop Summit at 7:00 p.m. (PDT) on Saturday, April 9 at the Rose Garden in Portland Oregon.

The Nike Hoop Summit, the country’s premier annual basketball game for high-school age boys, features America’s elite, young athletes playing against a World Select Team comprised of top international players 19-years-old or younger.

Leading the way for the USA will be four players who helped the USA to gold at both the 2009 FIBA Americas U16 Championship and the 2010 FIBA U17 World Championship, including 2010 FIBA U17 World Championship MVP Brad Beal (Chaminade College Prep/St. Louis, Mo.), Quinn Cook (Oak Hill Academy/Bowie, Md.), James McAdoo (Norfolk Christian/ Norfolk, Va.) and Adonis Thomas (Melrose H.S./Cordova, Tenn.).

The USA Junior National Select team also features 2010 USA U17 gold medalists Michael Gilchrist (St. Patrick H.S./Somerdale, N.J.), Marquis Teague (Pike H.S./Indianapolis, Ind.) and Tony Wroten (Garfield H.S./Seattle, Wash.), as well as Austin Rivers (Winter Park H.S./Winter Park, Fla.), who helped lead the USA to a gold medal in the 2010 FIBA Americas U18 Championship.

Rounding out the roster are USA Basketball newcomers Rakeem Christmas (Academy of the New Church/Philadelphia, Pa.) and Anthony Davis (Perspectives Charter/Chicago, Ill.).

The USA will be led by Kevin Sutton, who is in his eighth season as head coach at Montverde Academy in Florida. Sutton has three times served as a USA assistant coach, including the 2009 USA U16 and 2010 USA U17 national teams. He owns a 15-3 record (.833 winning percentage) with the red, white and blue.

“I’m truly honored,” Sutton said. “I’ve been associated with USA Basketball for several years now. My most recent tenure was over the last two years with the U16 and U17 teams, so I’m very familiar with the players that have been selected for this team. USA Basketball really has strengthened the developmental program, and having several players back from those teams will enable us to build upon a camaraderie that’s already been established.

“I have watched past Nike Hoop Summits and I’ve seen a lot of international basketball the past few summers, and that has enabled me to be more of a student of the game,” Sutton continued. “I know that the game will feature a tremendous amount of talent, and it will be very competitive.”

Sutton will be assisted by first-time USA coach Kevin Boyle, who is in his 22nd season as head coach at St. Patrick High School (N.J.), where he currently features USA team member Gilchrist on his roster.

Tickets for the 14th annual Nike Hoop Summit are now on sale, with reserved courtside seats priced $25 and $50 and all other general admission tickets $6 in advance and $10 on game day. Tickets can be purchased through the Rose Quarter Ticket Office, by calling 877-789-ROSE (7673) or by visiting www.rosequarter.com. Additionally, the game will be broadcast nationally by Fox Sports Net and its regional affiliates.

Kyle Wiltjer Invited to Play in Nike Hoop Summit

Kentucky Wildcats bound Wiltjer will play on the 2011 World Select Team
    Last edited by CKR13; 02-19-2011, 06:58 AM.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Dario Saric invited
      Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

I think the world team this year will be very very good. Especially the front court could be loaded as hell with Enes Kanter, Valanciunas, Lucas Riva, Kyle Wiltjer...

Comment

Originally posted by pasha View Post
          I think the world team this year will be very very good. Especially the front court could be loaded as hell with Enes Kanter, Valanciunas, Lucas Riva, Kyle Wiltjer...
          Kanter played in it last year, he can't play again.
          Like Weird Al? You'll love Bobio: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...obiolover&aq=f

Comment

i doubt rytas will let valenciunas play, they didn't let him last year
            Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
              Kanter played in it last year, he can't play again.
              Are you sure? Ajinca played in 2007 and 2008, and i guess Fotsis also did it twice back in the day.

Valanciunas of course is out of the question.

Comment

I like the American team this year. This high school senior class has better prospects than the last couple of classes. Gilcrhist, Beal, McAdoo, Rivers, Davis are all very impressive although Rivers (the #1 prospect in the class according to most scouts) can get a little out of control with the contested 3 ptrs sometimes.

Plus, a number of them already have experience at last years World Championships and FIBA Americas championships so that should help.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCal View Post

Plus, a number of them already have experience at last years World Championships and FIBA Americas championships so that should help.
                  Yeah, I'm curious to see how big of an advantage it is that most of them played together on the U-17 team last year.
                  Originally posted by Fedfan
                  Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                  Originally posted by GuTO
                  refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Bobby ray parks jr. 6'4'' 18y.o might play for the International select team in this year's edition of Nike Hoop Summit,he was part of the All-International Select team(M-5) in Nike Global Challenge in Oregon last year..
                    * Kevin Pangos (Canada)
                    * Kyle Wiltjer (Canada)
                    * Lucas Nogueira (Brazil)
                    * Bobby Parks (Asia)
                    * Benjamin John (France/INSEP)

Comment

Nothing new about the world roster yet?

Comment

Originally posted by mbenga View Post
                        Nothing new about the world roster yet?
                        Still no updates on the site's World Select Roster.

Sacramento Kings
                        HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

so far known saric, karnowski, ponitka
                          Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by pohani komarac View Post
                            so far known saric, karnowski, ponitka
                            Nogueira, Miljenovic,
                            I'm on twitter

Comment

According to Draftexpress and eurohopes these players will play for the international team
                              Przemyslaw Karnowski, Mateusz Ponitka, Lucas Nogueira, Nenad Miljenovic, Dario Saric, Myck Kabongo, Bismack Biyombo and Evan Fournier.

So 8 players and 2 slots remaining. I hope Enes Kanter will play too. This years team is definitely a lot better than last years.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information