Bismack Biyombo, the new sensation from DR Congo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bismack Biyombo, the new sensation from DR Congo

COD/ESP – Palma not surprised by the new sensation of the ACB, Bismack Biyombo

MADRID (ACB) - The anonymity of Fuenlabrada teenager Bismack Biyombo has vanished overnight since his debut in the Spanish ACB.

For many fans of the club, the 18-year-old Biyombo was just another player in the ‘cantera’, the youth team, yearning for a chance.

The new year arrived, though, and suddenly, everyone in basketball-crazy Spain is asking: “Where did he come from?”

Earlier this month, the Congolese youth introduced himself to the ACB in a fearless manner, with an emphasis on his defensive ability.

The 2.04m center, as Real Madrid star Felipe Reyes discovered last weekend in Biyombo’s third game, is a ‘Sultan of Swat’ because on one shot attempt, the Spain international watched at the Africa not only denied him but sent the ball into Row H.

Not the least bit surprised in the sudden emergence of Biyombo is former Jordan and Angola coach, Mário Palma, the man who helped the player land in Spain.

Palma, who has coached at FIBA World Championships and Olympic Games, says Biyombo is at the right place and has much to offer.

He first met Biyombo in Yemen, when the African was a baby-faced 16-year-old.

Palma saw him playing in a domestic tournament and was very impressed.

When Biyombo then approached Palma to say hello, the experienced coach couldn’t believe how modest this extraordinarily talented player was.

“He came to talk to me and asked for help,” Palma said to FIBA.com.

“He said he wanted to play at a high level.

“Initially I thought of sending him to Angola, where I have some contacts, so he could progress there.

“I thought of Angola because of the cultural proximity to his country of origin.

“Then I contacted someone in Spain and everything started from there.

“It was the right choice.”

Knowing the club had some untapped reserves in the ‘cantera’ made Fuenlabrada’s decision to allow the transfer of their star center, Uruguay international Esteban Batista, to Caja Laboral easier.

Fuenlabrada coach Salvador Maldonado felt the time was right to benefit from the club’s youth section.

Biyombo has so far proved the veteran coach right.

He has averaged four points, five rebounds and two blocks in his 14 minutes per game.

Against Madrid, one of the powerhouses in Spain and the Euroleague, Biyombo swatted three shots!

Palma, when asked about Biyombo this week, said: “I was following his hard work in Spain from Jordan.

“I was at ease because he was working with good coaches.

“I am not surprised at all by his impact.

“What really surprised me, though, was his athleticism.”

Biyombo has remained in regular contact with Palma, who after the World Championship with Jordan moved permanently back to Portugal.

“He has already come to visit me here in Lisbon,” Palma said.

“We kept in contact and remained working hard. It doesn’t surprise me to see him playing in the ACB as he can go even further.”

That is one fact that Palma says with conviction and for those who have been lucky enough to watch this youngster play at the beginning of his career, they would no doubt say the same.

“He is a humble and fantastic young boy,” Palma said.

“He is not like other boys who disrespect and disregard the hard work.”

Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

From what I have seen this guy could be Ibaka V2.0. Good shot blocker, feeling for the rebounds, powerful, but still has to improve FT shooting and his offensive game in general. After all, Batista selling was good, since Fuenla has not enough money to find a decent replacement, so Biyombo will stay at the roster with 15-20 minutes per game.
    Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

Comment

Fuenlabrada's sporting director: 'Biyombo is a home-grown player with a contract until 2014.'
      Artificial Nature

Comment

Two great blocks
        Artificial Nature

Comment

interesting find.

Comment

Biyombo's name is also appearing on various NBA 2011 Mock Drafts. An intriguing prospect.
            Sacramento Kings
            HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

NBA – Biyombo among early candidates for NBA Draft [video]

NEW YORK (NBA) - African center Bismack Biyombo went against Fuenlabrada's wishes and left the Spanish ACB side to play at the Nike Hoop Summit in Portland, Oregon, earlier this month.

Now the 18-year-old center is hoping the decision pays off when the NBA Draft is held in Newark, New Jersey, on June 23.

Biyombo, who hails from the Democratic Republic of Congo, is among 20 international players to have submitted his name as an early entry candidate for the draft.

Fuenlabrada coach Salva Maldonado warned the 2.04m youngster that he would not have a role in the senior team if he went to the Hoop Summit instead of playing in vital league games and has so far remained true to his word.

France's point guard at last year's FIBA World Championship, Andrew Albicy of Paris-Levallois, and promising Lithuanians Donatas Motiejunas (Benetton Treviso) and Jonas Valanciunas (Lietuvos Rytas) are also early entry candidates along with Montenegrin-born Nikola Mirotic of Real Madrid.

Mirotic, who moved to Spain as a youngster and played for them at the U20 European Championship, last week signed a long-term contract with Madrid.

Biyombo talks about the NBA draft

Artificial Nature

Comment

Biyombo to the Sacramento Kings, may end with the Bobcats.
                Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
                  Biyombo to the Sacramento Kings, may end with the Bobcats.
                  Bobcats are the winners of the three team trade between Milwaukee, Sacramento and Charlotte. Bobcats get a defensive presence in Biyombo and they drafted Kemba Walker. I was hoping the Bobcats will draft Alec Burks...
                  Sacramento Kings

Comment

Biyombo's contract buyout on the go

The Charlotte Bobcats have announced that preliminary negotiations pertaining to the contract buyout of Biyombo will begin soon. Biyombo's team, Fuenlabrada expects the amount approximately at $1.4 million for Biyombo's release.
                    Sacramento Kings

Comment

Biyombo's Letter of Clearance and FIBA clearance is to be released only after the contract buyout with Fuenlabrada.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

Charlotte Bobcats drfat pick Bismack Biyombo will play in the Exhibition Game in the Marriott Center in Provo, Utah on Sept. 22, 2011.

Biyombo joins Bobcats teammate Kemba Walker in the game.
                        Last edited by CKR13; 09-15-2011, 09:08 AM.
                        Sacramento Kings

Comment

Biyombo said in confidence that soon he will be in the NBA.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

According to Sportando.net, the contract of Biyombo is really worth $3 Million which is double the reported amount of $1.4 Million. Which explains why negotiations have been very slow onwards the buyout.
                            Sacramento Kings

Comment

Under a court ruling, Biyombo's contract with Fuenlabrada is valid. Biyombo won't be in a Bobcats uniform this upcoming season.
                              Sacramento Kings

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information