Finger - broken or sprained?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finger - broken or sprained?

My boy has his finger sprained (aged 8) - i have had million times of them done like this when i was young,no problem until much later - thing is,he has some dark blue'ish staff under his finger (middle),which had never happened to me.
    My wife tells me there is nothing serious ,myself i say he has some damage done to his bone.
    He is in no pain anyway for now,but still ....School off for him tomorrow and emergency?
    or is it after school emergency as my wife tells me?
    Please regard what it will probably take at least 3-4 hours to get checked by NHS
    And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Probably just a hematoma? Should go away in two weeks or so. Used to happen to me when I sprained my finger(s) ... If he is in no pain, why bother going to the doctor?

Comment

Originally posted by elaj View Post
      ... If he is in no pain, why bother going to the doctor?
      you will be charged with neglect?
      Times are rough regarding this shit here in UK - i had my daughter with some stuff if her eye - like something that should go away naturally -tiny thing,nothing major - i was told in school after few days,unless i take action...well,they would take my kid away eventually.So i took her to emergency,after 4 hours of waiting they accused me of wasting their supposedly precious time,got barrage of abuse ,somehow got it removed...
      not a nice experience.
      Got my toe broken - shit,apparently i was wasting their time(from having a tea break)too
      Last edited by auris1; 01-12-2011, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by auris1 View Post
        My boy has his finger sprained (aged 8) - i have had million times of them done like this when i was young,no problem until much later - thing is,he has some dark blue'ish staff under his finger (middle),which had never happened to me.
        My wife tells me there is nothing serious ,myself i say he has some damage done to his bone.
        He is in no pain anyway for now,but still ....School off for him tomorrow and emergency?
        Please regard what it will probably take at least 3-4 hours to get checked by NHS
        Is it swollen or just blueish in color? If swollen put ice on it and keep it compressed on the injured finger for a while.. You could also cover the finger with bandage/wrapping.
        Also can he move his finger... If his finger is broken it would be quite painful if he attempts to move it.

Anyways if there is swelling and if by tomorrow morning swelling is still there it would be better to take him to the Dr. for an x-ray.

P.S: Since I lived in UK and had to suffer to wait so much for a Dr's appointment through the crappy NHS system, I used to treat myself old school style (use of my own over the counter medication that I had) and through the use of the minimal general knowledge that I had regarding medical issues (of course i'm talking about minor issues such as sprains, flu....)

Comment

you will be charged with neglect?
          Times are rough regarding this shit here in UK - i had my daughter with some stuff if her eye - like something that should go away naturally -tiny thing,nothing major - i was told in school after few days,unless i take action...well,they would take my kid away eventually.So i took her to emergency,after 4 hours of waiting they accused me of wasting their supposedly precious time,got barrage of abuse ,somehow got it removed...
          not a nice experience.
          Got my toe broken - shit,apparently i was wasting their time(from having a tea break)too
          Easy Solution: Take your family and go back to Lithuania

(I actually knew a Lebanese guy who booked a ticket and went back to Lebanon and got his issue solved by a small operation since he had a cyst that was bothering him and in the UK they told him that his Dr's appointment was after 3 months (I kid you not) )....

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid80 View Post
            Is it swollen or just blueish in color? If swollen put ice on it and keep it compressed on the injured finger for a while.. You could also cover the finger with bandage/wrapping.
            Also can he move his finger... If his finger is broken it would be quite painful if he attempts to move it.

Anyways if there is swelling and if by tomorrow morning swelling is still there it would be better to take him to the Dr. for an x-ray.

P.S: Since I lived in UK and had to suffer to wait so much for a Dr's appointment through the crappy NHS system, I used to treat myself old school style (use of my own over the counter medication that I had) and through the use of the minimal general knowledge that I had regarding medical issues (of course i'm talking about minor issues such as sprains, flu....)
            Thanks for your reply
            He is not in pain as such - it happened yesterday,he played a ball in school,got hit by the ball from below once he was trying to catch the ball(if you listen to his story).Today he went swimming ,never mentioned it too,just before his bedtime he showed his finger.Sprained definitely,but once you play a ball,shit happens.
            As for me,i would be never be taken to ER in this case in my young days,but it is different now...
            Blueish stuff means haemorrhage ?does it says that the bone was broken?

Comment

Thanks for your reply
              He is not in pain as such - it happened yesterday,he played a ball in school,got hit by the ball from below once he was trying to catch the ball(if you listen to his story).Today he went swimming ,never mentioned it too,just before his bedtime he showed his finger.Sprained definitely,but once you play a ball,shit happens.
              As for me,i would be never be taken to ER in this case in my young days,but it is different now...
              Blueish stuff means haemorrhage ?does it says that the bone was broken?
              No problem.. Hope he feels better soon.
              Haemorrhage simply means bleeding.. When bleeding is internal and there is damage to a blood vessel this is known as hematoma which Elaj mentioned about.
              Since the blood is released from the vein internally and has no where to go this is what causes the blueish color.
              Blueish color does not necessarily mean that the bone is broken... but it could one of the indicators/factors.

By the way check this link on wikipedia

Does your son's finger look anything like the pic of the toe shown?

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid80 View Post

By the way check this link on wikipedia

Does your son's finger look anything like the pic of the toe shown?
                FINGER
                It was me who broke my toes
                according to your picture,you got it wrong

Comment

I've broken my finger at least 8-10 times, I'm afraid the dark blue'ish color is a synonym of borken bone .. At least this is what happened to me every time I broke my finger

Comment

FINGER
                    It was me who broke my toes
                    according to your picture,you got it wrong
                    I know for your son it was his finger. I just couldn't find a more suitable picture from the net...

Comment

if its broken, it should be swollen and he would not be able to move it, much less swim with it, and most likely he would be a bag of tears. lots of ice and no ball. Hematoma does not necesarily means a broken bone.
                      sigpic

Comment

if there is no pain, no swelling and he can move his finger normally and the blueish color seems just a bit swollen and hard. it's more likely a hematoma and nothing to worry about. I had my thumb nail broken once inside the skin, where it grows. I had a blue finger for 2-3 weeks after the initial swelling and pain wore off after a couple of days. I had it x-rayed but there was nothing broken.
                        sigpic

The basketball shop.

https://www.interbasket.net/forums/s...-Obradovic-Era

Comment

its always better to be safe than sorry right pal ? so go check it out to be sure its not anything serious
                          signature

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information