Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not about when a player got a passport, but about if/when he was registered as a greek citizen. If you're a registered greek citizen it's absolutely no deal to get a greek passport (it's like renewing your passport), no matter what.

I guess Stergakos and Korfas were americans with greek roots - something that allowed them to get greek passports as well, but FIBA didn't count them as Greeks as they neither had a greek passport nore were registered as Greeks before they turned 18. I know that this isn't the case with Koufos, he's greek-american since his birth and that's why he also received his passport so fast. He won't count as naturalized.
    I don't know about the Calathes bros. though, things might be different in their case. The biggest obstacle in Nick Calathes case is not his passport though, but the fact that he played for the Nike USA Elite team in Douai 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by THRYLOS
      That's not correct. In 1989 both greek-americans Stergakos and Korfas were invited to take part in the eurobasket of Zagreb. Stankovic however, was of different opinion. He had discovered that they were naturalized as they did not have greek passport before. Therefore, Korfas was not allowed to take part.
      It was actually the French that picked something up, not Stankovic.

Greek law stated that to be eligable for citizenship when having come to Greece after the age of 18 you had to be 5 years in the country. Something Korfas hadnt been whilst David Nelson -Stergakos had.

Funny thing is that David Nelson- Stergakos was Irish and doesnt have a drop of Greek blood whilst Korfas does.
      Mi imamo svoga boga, on se zove Bodiroga.
      Demetrious "Primo Gavrorum Malleus" Diamantidis

Thank you for all you have given me. 6*
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Bxh4eYMxw

Panathinaikos is not just a club. It's a religion.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWbTZbfkI8

When the OAKA foundations moved a couple metres
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KbFl2mO8E0

Comment

Next generation

Would just like some peoples thoughts on the future of the Greek national team.

Do we have the talent coming thru that will enable us to experience similar success to that which we have with the team since 2005?

Our current team now without Diamantidis, likely no longer with Tsartsaris and Papaloukas and Fotsis now 30 will likely go thru a period of renewal. But are there players there that can fill the void.

Players that come to mind are Koufos and Calathes. Koufos I see as having great potential particularly if he can establish himself in the nba over the next year or two. He may have actually of been better off developing as a european center. I see him more of a Gasol type of center rather than the beefed up old school center that the nba seems to want to turn him into. Then he could of gone to the nba developed rather than raw.

Calathes also seems to have potential with great vision passing and ball handling though needs to work alot on his outside shot.

After that though it seems to be quite downhill. Papanikolaou and Pappas seem to be the other two talents but neither had shown much other than at junior national team level. Papanikolaou according to Kazl didnt seem to show much development since last year.

Sarikopoulos has size but doesnt seem to have soft hands or much in the way of athletisism

Are there other note worthy players with potential?

Your thoughts?

Comment

There is also the PF Bogris who plays at Pao. Also there is Chrisakopoulos who plays at Aris, but he´s even younger. The thing is that most of these players are very young and they need a year or two in order to develop their skills.

Very few Greek players reached a high level when they were younger than 23, and the ones who did, never really got much better. Like Fotsis ot Rentzias for example.
          PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Rentzias really was a disappointment for me I remember watching that golden generation win the junior mens world championship back in 1995 i think it was and thinking if even half these players achieve their potential then we will be one hell of a super power. Rentzias just didnt really improve after the age of 23. I heard he had alot of injuries and injuries can really ruin careers. Few super stars are continually plagued by serious injuries and become world beaters. Sabonis would be one noted exception helps that he was 2.21.

Greats like Jordan, Galis and co went most of their careers with few injuries and were thus able to build on their talents from year to year.

Another disappointment was Papanikolaou from the 95 team he seemed to have all the skills and temperament but only became a good player at best.

Players though from time to time do come out of nowhere like Diamantidis and Papaloukas neither from memory were mentioned a great deal as juniors but are up there with the best guards Greece has produced

I havent really seen much of Chrisakopoulos and Bogris. Ive also heard the name Kaselakis i think it is mentioned but dont know much about him either.

Comment

Papaloukas was a star when he was about 15-16, but then didn't progress as rapidly.

Papanikolaou was scoring 50 and 60 points per game when he was in Liossia, but the guy is stupid and a a$$hole. The only playing I met in junior teams back then that played dirty.

Comment

you missed Elliniadis and Skarafigkas

Comment

Blazers scouting Chrysikopoulos: http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2010/11/...ulos.html#more
                  Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                  Artificial Nature

Comment

Blazers can go screw themselves... They show no respect to their overseas players. Chrysikopoulos should stay home are in the worse case go to Spain, Russia or Italy

Comment

• I think there might be more teams insterested in Chrysikopoulos except Blazers. He has good potential but he needs to work hard and in Greece thats very difficult for new players. So his team will probably try to offload him like they did with Papanikolaou. Thats cuz they know they cant work with him so first chance they get (U-18/19/20's championship). If he starts averaging points/rebounds/assists/steals like crazy he will sell like hot cakes.

He will be signing a new contract with Aris they say for 4 or 5 years and then they'll sell him in the first opportunity that appears. Its more difficult now though cuz Chrysikopoulos' team players are not up to level, even Olympiakos wont spend a 1 million euros now and so they will try to start a bidding game..

I wouldnt worry too much about this year. But from next year or season should i say he will be up for sale.
                      https://t.me/pump_upp

Comment

• Kostas Papanikolaou to participate in 2011 NBA Draft.
                        Artificial Nature

Comment

• Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
                          Kostas Papanikolaou to participate in 2011 NBA Draft.
                          http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2010/11/...cipate-in.html
                          Kostas is definitely very talented guy, but it,s not secret that the greeks playing in the NBA is still quite mediocre (Rentzias,Fotsis,Tsakalidis,Spanoulis, Koufos...). But in other hand, who knows, maybe Kostas will be the exception to the rule. At least i sincerely wish him to play major role in the NBA.

Comment

• Zoumpos, 17 y/o played for PAO today, had a ranking of 5 in 14:42 minutes.

Video of him against kids his age.

Comment

• interview with nikos pappas where he states that he would only play for panathinaikos and not olympiacos out of the two teams

Olympiacos/Panatihnaikos: Only Panathinaikos
                              sigpic

The basketball shop.

https://www.interbasket.net/forums/s...-Obradovic-Era

Comment

• Article on Panathinaikos' young pearls.
                                Artificial Nature

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information