Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Greek Prospects

It seems there is plenty of talent waiting for their turn...
    We always had very talented young players but most of them (all of them I think ) couldn't come up to the expectations. The greatest examples are Papanikolaou, Rentzias and Fotsis along with Tapoutos...
    Hope this situation can be avoided in the future...

Quote Originally Posted by GR8BBALL
    It seems there is plenty of talent waiting for their turn...
    We always had very talented young players but most of them (all of them I think ) couldn't come up to the expectations. The greatest examples are Papanikolaou, Rentzias and Fotsis along with Tapoutos...
    Hope this situation can be avoided in the future...
    Think about this:how many of the 12 silver medalists of the WC were considered potential stars before they were 20?just 6(Zisis,Kakiouzis,Vasilopoulos,Fotsis,Papadopoulos ,Schortsianitis) and Sofo had a very difficult period in his career(he almost became another "lost talent") before he moved 2 Olympiakos. 11 years ago Greece won the U19 WC beating our opponents by 20+ points.Everybody thought at the time that these players would dominate in Europe 10 years later.Actually, Greece became european champions 10 year later as predicted...but only 1 player from this U19 team was on the roster!I think these facts indicate that greek basketball has a lot of talent but this talent does not fulfil its potential

^^^^^
    I second that...
    Something happens to players (who were really dominant) at 17,18, and at 21 they have already fallen behind other players of their same age...
    Much can be said, I think it's the result of overhype by the media combined with procrustination and lack of motivation--who wants to go to the nba when he is bolemenos in Greece living like a prince ? So they make no progress and watch other kids become superstars...

Quote Originally Posted by GR8BBALL
    ^^^^^
    I second that...
    Something happens to players (who were really dominant) at 17,18, and at 21 they have already fallen behind other players of their same age...
    Much can be said, I think it's the result of overhype by the media combined with procrustination and lack of motivation--who wants to go to the nba when he is bolemenos in Greece living like a prince ? So they make no progress and watch other kids become superstars...
    That's why everytime I hear about some 16 year old prodigy I shake my head and say wait at last a couple of years to see what he can do...

IMO the most talented greek youngsters are

Igor Milosevic, Nikos Pappas and Vladimir Jankovic. They need to work their ass off to get Koufos into the Greek NT.

Quote Originally Posted by Minotavros
    IMO the most talented greek youngsters are

Igor Milosevic, Vladimir Jankovic.
    are they from serbia ?
    faith in PAOK 06-07
    PAOK WILL WIN!!!!!!WAIT assoyo JOIN!!!!!!!

Serbs that grew up in Greece (no basketball imports a la Stojakovic).
    Just like all the rest european countries, there are a lot of minorities in Greece nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by Minotavros
    Serbs that grew up in Greece (no basketball imports a la Stojakovic).
    Just like all the rest european countries, there are a lot of minorities in Greece nowadays
    i see , there is also a black guy in hellas nt , are there many black guy in hellas ?
    faith in PAOK 06-07
    PAOK WILL WIN!!!!!!WAIT assoyo JOIN!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BadMann
    i see , there is also a black guy in hellas nt , are there many black guy in hellas ?
    There are a few only. The most known of them are Nestoras Kommatos and Big Sopho.

Quote Originally Posted by BadMann
    There are quite a few africans but the most immigrants are from Albania. There are also many bulgarians, people from the former USSR, Bangladesh and several other countries.
    Schortsanitis btw isn't an immigrant, his father is a greek civil engineer who was working in Cameroon and married a local girl. There was a civil war at the time in Cameroon so they moved to Greece.
    Also Jankovic is the son of former serbian basketball player Boban Jankovic who died recently. Jankovic played in Greece but he had an accident (he hit his head on the piece of metal under the basket) and was on a wheelchair for the last 13 years. His wife went back to Serbia after the accident and Boban had to raise his son by himself. Vladimir was a baby (2 or 3 years old) when he came to Greece and he has lived all his life in Greece.

it depends on what you mean "many"
    but yes there are black greeks,

sofo's mother is from Cameroon and his father is from Greece...

and we shouldnt forget Sakota
    he is 19 years old, 2.09 and has the 3pt shooting ability of Larry Bird and i am not exaggeriting... the only drawback is that he is a PAO player

Quote Originally Posted by J.J.Riddick
    There are a few only. The most known of them are Nestoras Kommatos and Big Sopho.
    Kommatos is half greek as well. His father is greek and his mother from Guyana (a country in South America).

There is also that guy playing for Apollon Patras (Ekine??).
    He is born 1983 I believe. He has some talent and could become a solid A1 player if given playing time. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a late bloomer

Guys i think you forgot big Sofos brother i dont remember his name his about 2 meters tall and he played in the junior national teams and he is about 2-3 years younger than Sofo

he is not as good as his brother!his name is alexandros.he is 19 and 1.98.i don't believe he has potential to become great player!
    http://enwsisofwn.blogspot.com/
    Live your life with basketball

P.E.O.S. - The return of the wise men!

Quote Originally Posted by J.J.Riddick
    Did Kommatos ever play for the Greek national team?

Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur
    Did Kommatos ever play for the Greek national team?
    Yes, but only in friendlies as part of a 18 man squad.
    Mi imamo svoga boga, on se zove Bodiroga.
    Demetrious "Primo Gavrorum Malleus" Diamantidis

Thank you for all you have given me. 6*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Bxh4eYMxw

Panathinaikos is not just a club. It's a religion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWbTZbfkI8

When the OAKA foundations moved a couple metres
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KbFl2mO8E0

Quote Originally Posted by EverGreen
    Yes, but only in friendlies as part of a 18 man squad.
    I just saw his stats in the Euroleague, they are pretty good. Why didn't he ever play for the Greek team in official games?

Idont know the reason but you must know that he has very bad behaviour .I know that from his previous teams left beacause of it.

Quote Originally Posted by HABIBI
    Idont know the reason but you must know that he has very bad behaviour .I know that from his previous teams left beacause of it.
    Actually I didn't know about that lol Perhaps that explains it...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast