Predrag Danilović,
    Aleksandar Đorđević,
    Velimir Perasović,
    Jure Zdovc,
    Arijan Komazec,
    Zoran Sretenović,
    Zoran Jovanović
    (Coach: Dušan Ivković)

Two of the best generations Yugoslavia ever produced.

Not to mention two of the best coaches of all time from Yugoslavia.

* I know many of you will answer the 91 team but give me a quality reason besides the obvious...restating the players names.

neither

world cup 1990 in argentina team was the best. 1991 team didn't have drazen so it can't be in contention in my view

SunOverHStreet

Eurobasket 1989... The best SFRJ team ever.

Quote Originally Posted by SunOverHStreet View Post
    Eurobasket 1989... The best SFRJ team ever.
    eurobasket 1989
    Yugoslavia: Dražen Petrović, Toni Kukoč, Vlade Divac, Dino Rađa, Žarko Paspalj, Stojan Vranković, Predrag Danilović, Jure Zdovc, Zoran Čutura, Zdravko Radulović, Zoran Radović, Mario Primorac (Coach: Dušan Ivković)

argentina 1990
    Yugoslavia: Dražen Petrović, Velimir Perasović, Zoran Čutura, Toni Kukoč, Žarko Paspalj, Jure Zdovc, Željko Obradović, Arijan Komazec, Vlade Divac, Zoran Savić, Radisav Ćurčić, Zoran Jovanović (head coach: Dušan Ivković)

yes, you're right 1989 team is better. i'm changing my opinion because of vrankovic and danilovic

Quote Originally Posted by DelijaZauvjek View Post

the best yugo coach ever, the one who figured out how to beat russians in seventies is Mirko Novosel, the one who developed the idea behind the the yugoslav basketball which is 'creation of the player is above selection of the player'

Sorry, it's not our fault Drazen did not want to play for "Yugoslavia" because of his political views.
    However, I was looking besides the point of the war and let's say he was actually in the squad because he was elligable, then the 1991 Euro team was the best in Yugo history. Mainly because of the inclusion of Aleksandar Djorjdevic who was the pure point guard that was missing in the team.

Secondly, the mere fact that you stated Mirko Novosel as Yugoslavia's all-time greatest coach is a joke and a half. He never led Yugoslavia to a single Gold medal in his career besides the two European Championships but he had the best team in the whole tournament! He always failed to bring us Gold in the final of the World Championship and Olympics despite having players like Kicanovic, Slavnic, Cosic, Knego, Dalipagic, Delibasic, Drazen Petrovic, and co. at his disposal. He was pathetic and if you ask any older Yugo veteran they would laugh at your claim because he was not a winner. Didn't know how to motivate his team in the final and his tactical plays were short of nothing. Yes he did win two Eurobaskets but HELL, he had the second best Yugoslav generation of players of all time. Even Pesic, Ivkovic, Obradovic, Svetislav Pesic, and Obradovic have done more for their NT's in this respective.
    While Bozidar Maljkovic won more euroleague titles than Novosel could dream of and Pavlicevic was somewhere on par with Novosel but in my opinion he was better than Novosel.
    And Nikolic was the father to all Yugoslav coaches.
    Bogdan Tanjevic is iffy. He did win 3 medals with 3 various NT teams but I never liked his coaching style.

Anyhow, it's undisputed that
    Ivkovic, Nikolic, Pesic, Maljkovic, and Obradovic are all ahead of Novosel whether you like it or not their statistics prove it. Novosel's coaching was a joke and brought shame to Yugo many years when he finished with a silver medal with a Golden Generation

Boza Maljkovic
    Ranko Zeravica
    Dusan Ivkovic
    Svetislav Pesic
    Aleksandar Nikolic
    Zeljko Obradovic
    Zeljko Pavlicevic
    Bogdan Tanjevic

I see you have something personal for Croatian's. It's all good my Hercogovac brother

first i am bosnian.
    second drazen was the greatest player that europe ever had or will have for that matter.

third, read in the link below what great serbian player moka slavnic has to say about mirko novosel

http://www.yu-kosarka.com/11moka.htm

and also try to read the book
    Zvonimir Zvonko Matutinović (Serb, by the way)
    KOŠARKAŠKA INTELIGENCIJA JUGOSLOVENA

which explains that it was mirko who created the whole philosophy behind the yugoslav basketball. it is not just about which coach won the greatest number of medals. in nba phil jackson and jerry sloan spring to mind. one with six titles another with none, yet both great coaches

also if you pay close attention to the games when zeravica was in charge (especially then) mirko is always there on the bench at every yugoslav game. i can point you to the links where you can download the games from that era. mirko is the man running the thing in the background. for the older generations of yugoslavs, like myself, it was always clear that coaches had to rotate on national/ethic principle. few yeras a croat in charge, then a serb and so on. but novosel as a mastermind in the background. he wasn't inducted in the naismith basketball hall of fame for no reason.

people in the know, know what mirko created

Quote Originally Posted by Delibasic View Post
    first i am bosnian.
    second drazen was the greatest player that europe ever had or will have for that matter.

third, read in the link below what great serbian player moka slavnic has to say about mirko novosel

http://www.yu-kosarka.com/11moka.htm

and also try to read the book
    Zvonimir Zvonko Matutinović (Serb, by the way)
    KOŠARKAŠKA INTELIGENCIJA JUGOSLOVENA

which explains that it was mirko who created the whole philosophy behind the yugoslav basketball. it is not just about which coach won the greatest number of medals. in nba phil jackson and jerry sloan spring to mind. one with six titles another with none, yet both great coaches

also if you pay close attention to the games when zeravica was in charge (especially then) mirko is always there on the bench at every yugoslav game. i can point you to the links where you can download the games from that era. mirko is the man running the thing in the background. for the older generations of yugoslavs, like myself, it was always clear that coaches had to rotate on national/ethic principle. few yeras a croat in charge, then a serb and so on. but novosel as a mastermind in the background. he wasn't inducted in the naismith basketball hall of fame for no reason.

people in the know, know what mirko created
    my older felow croatians say mirko was always beter menager then coach...but non can take away things that he did...medals, trophys, cibona and beaing member of fiba and nba hall of fame

nobady metnions first goald team as one of the best....(acording to geairga it was 5 croat starters + serbian comingfrom bench)...tough i wasn't even born than many of peaple claim 70-80is team with kreso, moka, dalipagic etc...was better then 89-91. team, but i'm to young to know it

He was a great coach but not the best of all time. You can judge players differently instead of just statistics but the only way you can judge coaches is through statistics and how their team's played.
    BTW, Aca Nikolic is the founding father to all Yugoslav coaches. Get your stuff straight my friend. You are really confused on a lot of things.
    Thirdly, you are right, Drazen is the best Euro player of all time. Will he remain the best player of all time. NO. Someone in the next 100 years will come out and be an NBA legend let alone a European legend. I'm sorry to have to break this news to you but for now, he is the undisputed best. Much respect to Drazen. Always loved him as a player.
    BTW, I have nothing against Croatians nor am I a nationalistic prick. I just don't think he's the best coach of all time. I think Ivkovic for example is a lot better. Hopefully you realize this yourself. Also, no other coach has as much passion for basketball as Ivkovic. Even at his old age right now, instead of vacationing, he's leading the Serbian NT and Olympiakos. What a legend of a coach. He's not doing it for money but for passion.

Aleksandar Nikolic is definitely the best coach of all time. Just because he is the founder and build the foundation on which Yugoslavian basketball is build.

What Stanislavski is for actors, Nikolic is for coaches. The best and all time great YU coaches started with Nikolic and thats a fact.

Had it not been for him, YU basketball wouldn't have the identity it has today, or wouldn't have an identity at all.

This is a great thread.. I'm working on a blog entry about national dream teams that actually competed in international tournaments (e.g. 1990 Yugoslavia, 1992 USA) not an all-star selection (all-time five)...

I always thought that the 1990 national team was Yugoslavia's Dream Team... but if we are talking about the best generations we can't distinguish the 1989 to the 1990 team since the players are basically from the same generation.. I consider 1986-1991 are from the same golden generation with the same core of players for the national teams... but thats just my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by donmar View Post
    This is a great thread.. I'm working on a blog entry about national dream teams that actually competed in international tournaments (e.g. 1990 Yugoslavia, 1992 USA) not an all-star selection (all-time five)...

I always thought that the 1990 national team was Yugoslavia's Dream Team... but if we are talking about the best generations we can't distinguish the 1989 to the 1990 team since the players are basically from the same generation.. I consider 1986-1991 are from the same golden generation with the same core of players for the national teams... but thats just my opinion...
    absolutely agree with you. we should be talking about which generation was the best rather than a particular team. 86-91 was yugoslav best generation

drazen
    vlade
    stojko
    toni
    dino
    djordjevic
    paspalj
    zdovs
    danilovic
    cutura

amazing players

Guys, what does after a brilliant career the great Zarko Paspalj? His current job is related to basketball or not? Many years ago he was my favourite yugoslavian basketball player.

Quote Originally Posted by vaslover View Post
    Guys, what does after a brilliant career the great Zarko Paspalj? His current job is related to basketball or not? Many years ago he was my favourite yugoslavian basketball player.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Žarko_Paspalj

Quote Originally Posted by Delibasic View Post
    Ups, i didn,t know actually that Zarko is current vice-president of the Serbian Olympic Committee. Seems quite cool... Молодец!

Ups, i didn,t know actually that Zarko is current vice-president of the Serbian Olympic Committee. Seems quite cool... Молодец!
    Seems like he is wasting his life on the shit that really doesn't matter(ask Kurtinaitis)

Quote Originally Posted by auris1 View Post
    Seems like he is wasting his life on the shit that really doesn't matter(ask Kurtinaitis)
    I suppose each person has own fate, so i don,t want to reproach someone. I don,t have an opinion on this matter.
    Last edited by vaslover; 12-30-2010 at 12:50 PM.

I suppose each person has own fate, so i don,t want to reproach someone. I don,t have an opinion on this matter.
    cool ...
    Lets take it easy

Default 1980 sorry

Here's a question for you guys:

Which Yugoslavian NT was better

1980 Olympic Gold Team
    Andro Knego,
    Dragan Kićanović,
    Rajko Žižić,
    Mihovil Nakić,
    Željko Jerkov,
    Branko Skroče,
    Zoran Slavnić,
    Kresimir Ćosić,
    Ratko Radovanović,
    Duje Krstulović,
    Dražen Dalipagić,
    Mirza Delibašić,
    (Coach: Ranko Žeravica)

Or

1991 European Championship Gold Team
    Vlade Divac,
    Toni Kukoč,
    Dino Rađa,
    Žarko Paspalj,
    Zoran Savić,
    Predrag Danilović,
    Aleksandar Đorđević,
    Velimir Perasović,
    Jure Zdovc,
    Arijan Komazec,
    Zoran Sretenović,
    Zoran Jovanović
    (Coach: Dušan Ivković)

Two of the best generations Yugoslavia ever produced.

* I know many of you will answer the 91 team but give me a quality reason besides the obvious...restating the players names.
    obviously not 1991, 1989 is much better, but I think 1980 is greatest Yugoslav generation ever. people tend to forget how good older player were.
    Kićanović is probably best European player ever. he was not Magician, he was Wizard. Dalipagić was best ever Euro scorer (44ppg in 1981/1982 Yugoslav league, 37ppg Italian league - playoff record - these numbers will stand forever, Delibašić - icon of brilliance, who saw him playin' cannot forget it, Ćosić - one in a million, center that brought revolution at his position, outstanding "Menschkeit", Slavnić - most hearted small playmaker of his time, ultra-talented leader, but also comedian in the court
    supporting cast was also phenomenal - Radovanović and Jerkov (better than any Croatian or Serbian center today by great margin), Nakić (artist of rebounding), Skroče (30ppg at his best) and so on...
    don't want to say that Divac, Kukoč, Radja, Danilović are average players (kapa dole), but...
    Last edited by souly; 03-23-2011 at 08:17 AM.

Sorry, it's not our fault Drazen did not want to play for "Yugoslavia" because of his political views.
    However, I was looking besides the point of the war and let's say he was actually in the squad because he was elligable, then the 1991 Euro team was the best in Yugo history. Mainly because of the inclusion of Aleksandar Djorjdevic who was the pure point guard that was missing in the team.

Secondly, the mere fact that you stated Mirko Novosel as Yugoslavia's all-time greatest coach is a joke and a half. He never led Yugoslavia to a single Gold medal in his career besides the two European Championships but he had the best team in the whole tournament! He always failed to bring us Gold in the final of the World Championship and Olympics despite having players like Kicanovic, Slavnic, Cosic, Knego, Dalipagic, Delibasic, Drazen Petrovic, and co. at his disposal. He was pathetic and if you ask any older Yugo veteran they would laugh at your claim because he was not a winner. Didn't know how to motivate his team in the final and his tactical plays were short of nothing. Yes he did win two Eurobaskets but HELL, he had the second best Yugoslav generation of players of all time. Even Pesic, Ivkovic, Obradovic, Svetislav Pesic, and Obradovic have done more for their NT's in this respective.
    While Bozidar Maljkovic won more euroleague titles than Novosel could dream of and Pavlicevic was somewhere on par with Novosel but in my opinion he was better than Novosel.
    And Nikolic was the father to all Yugoslav coaches.
    Bogdan Tanjevic is iffy. He did win 3 medals with 3 various NT teams but I never liked his coaching style.

Anyhow, it's undisputed that
    Ivkovic, Nikolic, Pesic, Maljkovic, and Obradovic are all ahead of Novosel whether you like it or not their statistics prove it. Novosel's coaching was a joke and brought shame to Yugo many years when he finished with a silver medal with a Golden Generation

Boza Maljkovic
    Ranko Zeravica
    Dusan Ivkovic
    Svetislav Pesic
    Aleksandar Nikolic
    Zeljko Obradovic
    Zeljko Pavlicevic
    Bogdan Tanjevic

I see you have something personal for Croatian's. It's all good my Hercogovac brother
    nationally coloured man. read the book "zlatna košarka mirka novosela"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast