Predrag Danilović,
    Aleksandar Đorđević,
    Velimir Perasović,
    Jure Zdovc,
    Arijan Komazec,
    Zoran Sretenović,
    Zoran Jovanović
    (Coach: Dušan Ivković)

Two of the best generations Yugoslavia ever produced.

Not to mention two of the best coaches of all time from Yugoslavia.

* I know many of you will answer the 91 team but give me a quality reason besides the obvious...restating the players names.

neither

world cup 1990 in argentina team was the best. 1991 team didn't have drazen so it can't be in contention in my view

Comment

Eurobasket 1989... The best SFRJ team ever.

Comment

Originally posted by SunOverHStreet View Post
        Eurobasket 1989... The best SFRJ team ever.
        eurobasket 1989
        Yugoslavia: Dražen Petrović, Toni Kukoč, Vlade Divac, Dino Rađa, Žarko Paspalj, Stojan Vranković, Predrag Danilović, Jure Zdovc, Zoran Čutura, Zdravko Radulović, Zoran Radović, Mario Primorac (Coach: Dušan Ivković)

argentina 1990
        Yugoslavia: Dražen Petrović, Velimir Perasović, Zoran Čutura, Toni Kukoč, Žarko Paspalj, Jure Zdovc, Željko Obradović, Arijan Komazec, Vlade Divac, Zoran Savić, Radisav Ćurčić, Zoran Jovanović (head coach: Dušan Ivković)

yes, you're right 1989 team is better. i'm changing my opinion because of vrankovic and danilovic

Comment

Originally posted by DelijaZauvjek View Post

Not to mention two of the best coaches of all time from Yugoslavia.
          the best yugo coach ever, the one who figured out how to beat russians in seventies is Mirko Novosel, the one who developed the idea behind the the yugoslav basketball which is 'creation of the player is above selection of the player'

Comment

Sorry, it's not our fault Drazen did not want to play for "Yugoslavia" because of his political views.
            However, I was looking besides the point of the war and let's say he was actually in the squad because he was elligable, then the 1991 Euro team was the best in Yugo history. Mainly because of the inclusion of Aleksandar Djorjdevic who was the pure point guard that was missing in the team.

Secondly, the mere fact that you stated Mirko Novosel as Yugoslavia's all-time greatest coach is a joke and a half. He never led Yugoslavia to a single Gold medal in his career besides the two European Championships but he had the best team in the whole tournament! He always failed to bring us Gold in the final of the World Championship and Olympics despite having players like Kicanovic, Slavnic, Cosic, Knego, Dalipagic, Delibasic, Drazen Petrovic, and co. at his disposal. He was pathetic and if you ask any older Yugo veteran they would laugh at your claim because he was not a winner. Didn't know how to motivate his team in the final and his tactical plays were short of nothing. Yes he did win two Eurobaskets but HELL, he had the second best Yugoslav generation of players of all time. Even Pesic, Ivkovic, Obradovic, Svetislav Pesic, and Obradovic have done more for their NT's in this respective.
            While Bozidar Maljkovic won more euroleague titles than Novosel could dream of and Pavlicevic was somewhere on par with Novosel but in my opinion he was better than Novosel.
            And Nikolic was the father to all Yugoslav coaches.
            Bogdan Tanjevic is iffy. He did win 3 medals with 3 various NT teams but I never liked his coaching style.

Anyhow, it's undisputed that
            Ivkovic, Nikolic, Pesic, Maljkovic, and Obradovic are all ahead of Novosel whether you like it or not their statistics prove it. Novosel's coaching was a joke and brought shame to Yugo many years when he finished with a silver medal with a Golden Generation

Boza Maljkovic
            Ranko Zeravica
            Dusan Ivkovic
            Svetislav Pesic
            Aleksandar Nikolic
            Zeljko Obradovic
            Zeljko Pavlicevic
            Bogdan Tanjevic

I see you have something personal for Croatian's. It's all good my Hercogovac brother

Comment

first i am bosnian.
              second drazen was the greatest player that europe ever had or will have for that matter.

third, read in the link below what great serbian player moka slavnic has to say about mirko novosel

and also try to read the book
              Zvonimir Zvonko Matutinović (Serb, by the way)
              KOŠARKAŠKA INTELIGENCIJA JUGOSLOVENA

which explains that it was mirko who created the whole philosophy behind the yugoslav basketball. it is not just about which coach won the greatest number of medals. in nba phil jackson and jerry sloan spring to mind. one with six titles another with none, yet both great coaches

also if you pay close attention to the games when zeravica was in charge (especially then) mirko is always there on the bench at every yugoslav game. i can point you to the links where you can download the games from that era. mirko is the man running the thing in the background. for the older generations of yugoslavs, like myself, it was always clear that coaches had to rotate on national/ethic principle. few yeras a croat in charge, then a serb and so on. but novosel as a mastermind in the background. he wasn't inducted in the naismith basketball hall of fame for no reason.

people in the know, know what mirko created

Comment

Originally posted by Delibasic View Post
                first i am bosnian.
                second drazen was the greatest player that europe ever had or will have for that matter.

third, read in the link below what great serbian player moka slavnic has to say about mirko novosel

and also try to read the book
                Zvonimir Zvonko Matutinović (Serb, by the way)
                KOŠARKAŠKA INTELIGENCIJA JUGOSLOVENA

which explains that it was mirko who created the whole philosophy behind the yugoslav basketball. it is not just about which coach won the greatest number of medals. in nba phil jackson and jerry sloan spring to mind. one with six titles another with none, yet both great coaches

also if you pay close attention to the games when zeravica was in charge (especially then) mirko is always there on the bench at every yugoslav game. i can point you to the links where you can download the games from that era. mirko is the man running the thing in the background. for the older generations of yugoslavs, like myself, it was always clear that coaches had to rotate on national/ethic principle. few yeras a croat in charge, then a serb and so on. but novosel as a mastermind in the background. he wasn't inducted in the naismith basketball hall of fame for no reason.

people in the know, know what mirko created
                my older felow croatians say mirko was always beter menager then coach...but non can take away things that he did...medals, trophys, cibona and beaing member of fiba and nba hall of fame

nobady metnions first goald team as one of the best....(acording to geairga it was 5 croat starters + serbian comingfrom bench)...tough i wasn't even born than many of peaple claim 70-80is team with kreso, moka, dalipagic etc...was better then 89-91. team, but i'm to young to know it
                Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

He was a great coach but not the best of all time. You can judge players differently instead of just statistics but the only way you can judge coaches is through statistics and how their team's played.
                  BTW, Aca Nikolic is the founding father to all Yugoslav coaches. Get your stuff straight my friend. You are really confused on a lot of things.
                  Thirdly, you are right, Drazen is the best Euro player of all time. Will he remain the best player of all time. NO. Someone in the next 100 years will come out and be an NBA legend let alone a European legend. I'm sorry to have to break this news to you but for now, he is the undisputed best. Much respect to Drazen. Always loved him as a player.
                  BTW, I have nothing against Croatians nor am I a nationalistic prick. I just don't think he's the best coach of all time. I think Ivkovic for example is a lot better. Hopefully you realize this yourself. Also, no other coach has as much passion for basketball as Ivkovic. Even at his old age right now, instead of vacationing, he's leading the Serbian NT and Olympiakos. What a legend of a coach. He's not doing it for money but for passion.

Comment

Aleksandar Nikolic is definitely the best coach of all time. Just because he is the founder and build the foundation on which Yugoslavian basketball is build.

What Stanislavski is for actors, Nikolic is for coaches. The best and all time great YU coaches started with Nikolic and thats a fact.

Had it not been for him, YU basketball wouldn't have the identity it has today, or wouldn't have an identity at all.
                    My homage to The heroes:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOFlzU14Ivs

Comment

This is a great thread.. I'm working on a blog entry about national dream teams that actually competed in international tournaments (e.g. 1990 Yugoslavia, 1992 USA) not an all-star selection (all-time five)...

I always thought that the 1990 national team was Yugoslavia's Dream Team... but if we are talking about the best generations we can't distinguish the 1989 to the 1990 team since the players are basically from the same generation.. I consider 1986-1991 are from the same golden generation with the same core of players for the national teams... but thats just my opinion...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by donmar View Post
                        This is a great thread.. I'm working on a blog entry about national dream teams that actually competed in international tournaments (e.g. 1990 Yugoslavia, 1992 USA) not an all-star selection (all-time five)...

I always thought that the 1990 national team was Yugoslavia's Dream Team... but if we are talking about the best generations we can't distinguish the 1989 to the 1990 team since the players are basically from the same generation.. I consider 1986-1991 are from the same golden generation with the same core of players for the national teams... but thats just my opinion...
                        absolutely agree with you. we should be talking about which generation was the best rather than a particular team. 86-91 was yugoslav best generation

drazen
                        vlade
                        stojko
                        toni
                        dino
                        djordjevic
                        paspalj
                        zdovs
                        danilovic
                        cutura

amazing players

Comment

Guys, what does after a brilliant career the great Zarko Paspalj? His current job is related to basketball or not? Many years ago he was my favourite yugoslavian basketball player.

Comment

Originally posted by vaslover View Post
                            Guys, what does after a brilliant career the great Zarko Paspalj? His current job is related to basketball or not? Many years ago he was my favourite yugoslavian basketball player.

Comment

Ups, i didn,t know actually that Zarko is current vice-president of the Serbian Olympic Committee. Seems quite cool... Молодец!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information