Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast

Thread: FIBA Asia Championship 2011 Wuhan

Quote Originally Posted by macan77 View Post
    Still, Jeremy was called for taiwan but refused
    The point to my initial comment was that I thought it would be interesting to see if Chinese Taipei could get both Jeremy Lin and Joe Alexander to play for them in general and not only in this year's FIBA Asia Championship. And I already knew he refused, but that doesn't mean he will will not play in the future. It seems to be a year by year case which is understandable given the fact Jeremy has yet to secure a long term deal with a NBA team.
    Last edited by DarknessFalls; 09-25-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Funny thing Iran got the most players in the Championship first team.

Kawamura

Daghles

Nikkhah Bahrami

YI Jian Lian

Hamed Haddadi

Shame on the coaching staff who couldn't use these precious players the right way when it mattered the most.

Jordan and Philippines fans can hit the "Heart Break City" button:
    http://www.gusjohnsongetsbuckets.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Hello ,everybody,my friends.
    China NT win the Asian Basketball Champion of 2011 in WuHan
    Thx to all ,the competitors,the fans of all Asian Country.
    Whether Ur team Performed good or not so good ,keep going ,U Will definitely be successful at one day ,maybe the AC in 2013.
    Thx to Jordanese and the Jordan NT.and the Skor NT,Iran NT ,Lebanon NT,Philipino NT as well as all the other participants who compose the wonderful and exiting Game in WuHan at this tournament to our Baseketball fan in Asia.

With sincere thx again to U all.

Congrats for China, hard luck Jordan

big game for the jordanian side, respect !

How is Douthit not on the all-star team? He led the tourney in points and rebounds!
    My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
    1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
    1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
    1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
    1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
    1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
    1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
    1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

Quote Originally Posted by usausa View Post
    How is Douthit not on the all-star team? He led the tourney in points and rebounds!
    rasheim wright was not in the mythical 5... must be because there naturalized but that is bull....

To Mojado

Who says FIBA asia is not better than Fiba Africa overall..

You can bring Australia and New Zealand to asia if Fiba wants
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    To Mojado

Who says FIBA asia is not better than Fiba Africa overall..

You can bring Australia and New Zealand to asia if Fiba wants
    No please!! They will beat the crap out of Asian teams for now! We won't have a chance against them for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by usausa View Post
    it's in China pal

Quote Originally Posted by behzadir View Post
    No please!! They will beat the crap out of Asian teams for now! We won't have a chance against them for sure.
    they will give 3 or 4 places for Asia in WC and Olympics man, that's for sure.
    and that will bring up the level of the other teams.

unfortunately I missed the final, and just watched the highlights, looked like a very exciting game! would have personally liked Jordan to win. had Daghlas scored the last shot they would have won.....
    anyway wish China good luck in Olympic and hope Jordan and/or Korea make it too

Default Day 9 of the 2011 fiba-asia men's tourney

JAPAN over TAIWAN, 81-72
    JPN 81 - Takeuchi K 16, Amino 14, Matsui 13, Shonaka 13, Takeda 9, Kawamura 9, Ishizaki 5, Ota 2, Sakurai 0, Hirose 0, Takeuchi J 0
    TPE 72 - Lin 18, Tseng 17, Chang 14, Chen HA 7, Ho 7, Chen SN 5, Lu 4, Wu 0,
    QS: 28-9, 47-36, 66-53, 81-72
    - Japan had a hot 13-2 start to the game and never really gave Taiwan a chance the rest of the way. KJ Matsui, Takuya Kawamura and Takeki Shonaka each hit 3 triples to spark the balanced Japanese attack that left the Taiwanese playing catch-up for all 40 minutes. Taiwan was severely beaten on the glass, too, as Japan won the rebound battle with plenty to spare, 48-37.
    - Kosuke Takeuchi grabbed a tournament-high 22 rebounds to go along with his 16 points as Japan notched 7th place in the competition, which is 2 places higher than their 9th place finish in 2009. Tomoo Amino backstopped Takeuchi with 14 points on 6-of-8 shooting while young guns Matsui and Shonaka each contributed 13 markers.
    - With this loss, Taiwan finishes 8th, its worst in the past few years, and goes home toting a 4-win, 5-loss slate. Lin Chih-Chieh led the Taiwanese with 18 points, but he shot just 6-of-16 from the floor. Tseng Wen-Ting finished with 17 markers, 7 boards, 3 dimes, 2 swipes and 2 rejections.

IRAN over LEBANON, 87-65
    IRI 87 - Kamrani 18, Bahrami 18, Kazemi 17, Haddadi 13, Afagh 5, Davoudi 4, Davari 4, Sahakian 4, Davarpanah 2, Kardoust 2, Atashi 0, Sohrabnejad 0
    LIB 65 - Hoskin 37, Ibrahim 11, Kanaan 6, Akl 4, Stephan 3, Reda 2, Tabet 2, Martinez 0, El Farkh 0, Bitar 0
    QS: 15-17, 50-36, 69-55, 87-65
    - The Lebanese held the fort for a quarter before a 14-0 run in the 2nd frame gave Iran a 10-point lead they wouldn't relinquish. Iran dominated in the paint and in transition, outscoring the Lebanese, 46-32, down low and on the break, 29-4. As expected, Iran also pumped in more rebounds and assists as they shot much better from the field, 49% to 36%.
    - Mehdi Kamrani and Samad Nikkhah Bahrami led Iran with 18 points each. Kamrani quarterbacked pretty well, too, dishing out 6 assists with 2 steals. Arsalan Kazemi and Hamed Haddadi were pillars of strength inside for Iran, combining for 30 points and 24 rebounds. Kazemi also had 4 steals while shooting 7-of-10 from the floor. Iran finishes the competition with an 8-win, 1-loss card, but they fall to 5th place after two straight FIBA-Asia Championships. They have the Jordanians to thank for that.
    - Sam Hoskin had his best game of the tournament, erupting for 37 points while grabbing 12 rebounds and getting 2 steals. He held his own against Haddadi, but hardly anyone else helped him in this fight. Mohamad Ibrahim was the only other Lebanese in double figures, finishing with 11 points, but he shot just 3-of-12 from the floor. Lebanon ends the tournament ranked 6th, its lowest in the past 10 years.

SOUTH KOREA over PHILIPPINES, 70-68
    KOR 70 - Cho 20, Kim JS 14, Oh 9, Kang 8, Stevenson 8, Kim JK 7, Lee 2, Kim YH 1, Yang HJ 1, Park 0
    PHL 68 - Douthit 27, Alapag 17, Williams 9, Lutz 5, De Ocampo 3, Casio 2, Tiu 2, Baracael 2, Lassiter 1, Taulava 0
    QS: 7-14, 17-24, 36-47, 70-68
    - The Philippines had the game under wraps until Korea unloaded 20 points in the final 5 minutes to break the hearts of the Filipinos yet again. The crucial endgame reminded Filipino fans of the heart-wrenching 2002 Busan Asian Games semifinals where Korean sniper Lee Sang-Min hit a buzzer-beating three to send the Pinoys packing. This time it was Cho Sung-Min, Oh Se-Keun and Jarod Stevenson who found their touches in the clutch, eating up at the Filipino lead until there was nothing left. It was a squandered chance for coach Rajko Toroman's crew, who led practically the whole game, dictated the tempo, and played without having to go against Yang Dong-Geun and Ha Seung-Jin, both of whom sat out due to injuries.
    - Cho hit majority of his 4 treys in those pivotal five minutes, where he nailed 12 of his 20 markers. Kim Joo-Sung fouled out mid-4th frame, but not after scoring 14 points, grabbing 9 rebounds and blocking 2 shots. Stevenson was just 3-of-12 the whole game and hit only one three, but it was the dagger that gave Korea the lead for good. He also had two key blocks on Filipino big man Marcus Douthit that helped seal the bronze medal, and a longshot at the Olympics, for coach Hur Jae's wards.
    - Marcus Douthit had another beastly outing with 27 points and 22 rebounds, but he was bottled up when the going got tough down the stretch. Jimmy Alapag hit 17 markers thanks to 5 triples, but, alas, it was not enough. Just like in Busan, it was free throws that did the Filipinos in, with Kelly Williams and Marcio Lassiter missing key freebies inside the final minute. Despite the loss, however, this Top 4 finish is the best that the Philippines has done in 27 years, and it should give credence to the success and promise of the Smart-Gilas program.

CHINA over JORDAN, 70-69
    CHN 70 - Yi J 25, Liu 13, Wang 10, Yi L 10, Ding 5, Sun 4, Zhu 3, Zhang B 0, Zhang Z 0, Yu 0
    JOR 69 - Wright 26, Abbas 13, Dahglas 10, Al-Sous 7, Zaghab 4, Abbaas 4, Al-Khas 3, Abu Quora 2, Abu Ruqayah 0, Soobzokov 0,
    QS: 16-15, 31-36, 59-56, 70-69
    - An Ali Zaghab foul at the end doomed Jordan's Cinderella story. Yi Jianlian was fouled after grabbing a defensive rebound and split his charities, which proved to be enough as China scraped past a determined and wily Jordan five to clinch the lone guaranteed Asian spot in the 2012 London Olympics. China didn't look as dominant as it did for most of the tourney as Jordan kept the pace slow and picked their shots while confusing the Chinese with perpetually switching defense. But the Chinese were able to hit their shots when they needed to and just barely made the grade.
    - Yi Jianlian proved he was the tournament MVP by pouring in 25 points, grabbing 16 rebounds and blocking 6 shots for China. He was ably supported by Liu Wei, Yi Li and Wang Zhizhi, who finished with 13, 10 and 10 points respectively. Unlike their first meeting with this same Jordanian team, the Chinese failed to dominate, instead groping for form amidst a determined stand by the WABA powerhouse. China moves on and begins preparations for the 2012 Olympics, but, perhaps more importantly, they regain the FIBA-Asia title that has eluded them in the past 2 installments.
    - Jordan clinches the silver medal and qualifies for the 2012 Olympics Wildcard Tournament together with bronze medalists South Korea. Rasheim Wright led Jordan with 26 points on 10-of-19 shooting while Zaid Abbas had 13 points and 10 rebounds. Abbas, however, fouled out in the fourth, leaving a gaping hole down low for coach Tab Baldwin's team. Sam Dahglas produced 10 points, 8 rebouds and 4 assists in the tight defeat.
    Read more on my blog: Hoopnut! --> Hoop Nut Blog [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

in what could be the most controversial fiba asia from the start ended with a bang...

congrats to china!
    respect to jordan!
    respect to korea!

mad props to gilas!

until next fiba asia
    (i'm going to hibernate again and become a forum sponge )

Kawamura

Daghles

Nikkhah Bahrami

YI Jian Lian

Hamed Haddadi

Shame on the coaching staff who couldn't use these precious players the right way when it mattered the most.
    This is just redicolous , obviously absent are all the naturalised players. How can the leading scorer and rebounder of the tournament Doulthit not be in in the team, How can the leading scorer of a finals team Wright be edged out by an 8th place Kawamura, How can the 3rd place team top scorer Moon also a naturalised player not make it ahead of Kawamura and Bahrami, this is a farce.
    It is quite obvious that the organisers are anti naturalisation or I woul'nt be suprise anti- american. Remember these are middle eastern countries that run FIBA asia and we all know how they feel about americans. what a shame. Let me just note Natualised players are considered locals their is no deferintiation especially in terms of getting a vote. Lastly Marcus Doulthit was informed to by officials to come to the awarding ceremonies, why invite him unless the initial results was he was going to get an award. Obviously officials interfered and changed the line-up to reflect a "Asian" look this is racism at its worse

FB Connect

SGP, let's make it to the 27th FIBA Asia Championships in 2013 where 3 slots are available for the 2014 FIBA World Cup plus 1 wild card for an FIBA World Qualifying Tournament.
    Last edited by Batman; 09-26-2011 at 07:31 AM. Reason: wrong info
    No to RACIAL DISCRIMATION!
    Let's go Smart Gilas Pilipinas to the 27th FIBA Asia Championships and 2014 FIBA World Tournament!!!

FB Connect

For those who support the Smart Gilas PIlipinas Program, you can visit to my blog @ http://sgp2fibaworld2014.blogspot.com/. I have just created it a few minutes ago as a sign for my undying support for our national team. We can exchange insights, thoughts, comments, reactions and everything revolving on our national team. Hoping that this will reach to MVP.
    No to RACIAL DISCRIMATION!
    Let's go Smart Gilas Pilipinas to the 27th FIBA Asia Championships and 2014 FIBA World Tournament!!!

4th place finish-not bad after all!
    While we still feel the agony of that extremely bitter defeat vs. Korea, I think we must look at the brighter side of our overall performance in Wuhan.

Firstly, I believe, Smart Gilas didn't play badly 4 the whole tournament. Of the 3 loses that we inflicted in d tournament only that 60-75 loss to china could we consider a one-sided game. We have good wins over jordan & Japan in the elims, And a very convincing win over Taiwan in that crucial quarterfinals game.

Secondly, I think, making it 2 d semis was already a BIG achievement 4 the Philippines considering that it was the 1st time that d Philippines made it to d semis of this tournament since 1987. In my honest 2 goodness assessment prior 2 this tournament, I predicted a rough sailing 4 Gilas in making it 2 the semis. I figured out that even if Gilas beats UAE, Bharain, Jordan, Syria & Japan (Obcourse I predicted Gilas 2 loss 2 china), Gilas would be facing either Qatar, Lebanon or Taiwan in the quarters & it would still be a difficult game. I thought that if Gilas loses 2 either Japan or Jordan in d elims, Gilas would be facing Korea or Iran in d quarters & I believed our team would be d underdog. I honestly thought that Gilas would be good for a 5th or 6th place in this tournament.

Thirdly, I think our overall performance in Wuhan has earned the respect of d asian basketball community. Right now Asian basketball powerhouses consider the Philippines as a strong contender in any major tournament in asia. In the next asian championships w/c will happen 2 years from now, I hope we can send a more prepared, more motivated, more matured, & more courageous Nat'l. team, w/o experiencing any distraction or hitches be4 the tournament. The 4th place finish in Wuhan & the results of our games is an indication that Philippine basketball is in the right direction. We just need 2 be patient & gallant.

That loss 2 Korea yesterday was really very painful. I think it reminded most of us of the Busan disaster in 2002. I know just like me, most of our diehard basketball aficionados were really brokenhearted yesterday. But there's really nothing much 2 gain in reeling from that agonizing defeat. Let us not let d "ghost" of that loss 2 Korea haunt us 4ever. Let us put that defeat in stride & move on. Believe me, luck will be on our side d next time around. GOD is just & fair, he rewards those who work hard & persevere.

Lets not blame any of the players or coach Rajko Toroman. Those guys worked so hard 2 give us that semis finish. They deserved our praise & our recognition. Believe, things are looking good 4 Phi. basketball.
    JAMSKIE is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Kawamura

Daghles

Nikkhah Bahrami

YI Jian Lian

Hamed Haddadi

It's really funny, both Samad and Haddadi didn't play well here, Samad was better, and maybe because I can't see any SF better than him in this tournament. but Hamed ? he destroyed our team with his selfish play. Douthit or Hoskin deserves it more. Hamed is a better player than all of them by big margin but not in this tournament.
    and well looks like FIBA Asia didn't want to pick mercenaries !

congrats to all medalists, China, Jordan and Korea
    and also congrats to Rajko ! after 3 years or training, at least he ranked better than us ! I'm sure that means a lot for him.

Quote Originally Posted by mohsena2631 View Post
    It's really funny, both Samad and Haddadi didn't play well here, Samad was better, and maybe because I can't see any SF better than him in this tournament. but Hamed ? he destroyed our team with his selfish play. Douthit or Hoskin deserves it more. Hamed is a better player than all of them by big margin but not in this tournament.
    and well looks like FIBA Asia didn't want to pick mercenaries !

congrats to all medalists, China, Jordan and Korea
    and also congrats to Rajko ! after 3 years or training, at least he ranked better than us ! I'm sure that means a lot for him.
    of course, they would'nt pick them, it would have made the tournament look like an american tournament.

am sure coach rajko is not happy, I'm pretty sure he is smashed. for your information, he did'nt get the players that he wanted in the philippines.

what he got instead, were players fresh from college or still in college, and this team for the last three years have been making some noise in the middle east despite being undersized. he got some pba players for this tournament but they were on short notice.

while iran seems poised to be a power in asian basketball for years to come, don't think that all iran has to do is show up to the tournament and they will win already, just ask jordan. a lot of things can happen that will affect your team's performance. aside from hadadi and samad nikah, there are'nt really any new talent that can be considered to be in their same level coming out of iran. also, injuries can take a lot away from the player.

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast