Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: FIBA Asia Championship 2011 Wuhan

Quote Originally Posted by kaiziken_pinas View Post
    aw c'mon.

China hosted the events three times last year! It should be given to another country! This is idiotic!
    But the possibility of china not going to the olympics would be chaotic for FIBA
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    But the possibility of china not going to the olympics would be chaotic for FIBA
    yeah, now that you mention it.

Bad for the sport though. I thought FIBA's aim in Asia is to make the sport more popular. Them choosing China over other countries it's stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhang View Post
    Because Wuhan is very very hot in August. Trust me, you can't bear the temperature there.
    Both the players and spectators are going to be indoor, and I'm sure the arena has an AC system.
    China is a vast country and another city with a better climate for that time of the year could have hosted the event (besides, Wuhan isn't much hotter than Tianjin, which hosted the last event)

The problem with holding the event in September is that school and practice has started for NCAA players and this is a bit problematic for some teams (Iran, Lebanon,...), because they can't have their players around for that long for the practice/main event.

Quote Originally Posted by Buran View Post
    Both the players and spectators are going to be indoor, and I'm sure the arena has an AC system.
    China is a vast country and another city with a better climate for that time of the year could have hosted the event (besides, Wuhan isn't much hotter than Tianjin, which hosted the last event)

The problem with holding the event in September is that school and practice has started for NCAA players and this is a bit problematic for some teams (Iran, Lebanon,...), because they can't have their players around for that long for the practice/main event.
    we've got no problem with it

The PBA season is over by September ^_^.

Most of our college players have already graduated so I guess the players' availability is at minimum

we've got no problem with it

The PBA season is over by September ^_^.

Most of our college players have already graduated so I guess the players' availability is at minimum
    I see,
    did Chris Lutz graduate from Marshall U., if he did, is he going to be invited?

I see,
    did Chris Lutz graduate from Marshall U., if he did, is he going to be invited?
    he's actually practicing/playing with the team since May. I think he's currently on vacation in the US and will be back after the holidays.

It's Banchero and Stanhardinger who are pending.

I would have wanted to see Kazemi, the guy who dunked over Rudy Gay. Do hope we see him in the Championships

as for lebanon we have joey accaoui in the ncaa he will be graduated this year.
    and we have also ahmad ibrahim last year in high school
    hopefully these 2 players will join the nt this summer
    ASIA 2011 CEDARS ARE COMING

Quote Originally Posted by wilo22 View Post
    and we have also ahmad ibrahim last year in high school
    hopefully these 2 players will join the nt this summer
    this could also affect Ahmad Ibrahim, he will be a College student next September.

The most neutral country is Singapore.. Not because I live there now... But because its a progressive country which is ideal for international sporting events.. There is less traffic, has a decent national stadium (although only one) to hold the venue, facilities, etc... I mean if it cant be the Philippines, then at least have Singapore be the first SEA nation to host the event since I dont know when... I mean just look at the last Youth Olympics, and see how successful it was particularly the FIBA 33, wherein the games are always packed with spectators...

They wont have problems with getting fans in the seats either.. There is a sizeable Filipino and Chinese community... Plus a number of foreign nationals from the Middle East and India...I mean the country is a melting pot of different nationalities..And you can be sure that Star Sports will cover the event since the channel is based here in Singapore...But really, its not because of selfish reason on why I wanted to be staged in Singapore..

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by mikepogi View Post
    I mean if it cant be the Philippines, then at least have Singapore be the first SEA nation to host the event since I dont know when...
    ASEAN Hosts of FIBA-Asia Men's
    1993 Jakarta
    1987 Bangkok
    1985 Kuala Lumpur
    1977 Kuala Lumpur
    1975 Bangkok
    1973 Manila
    1969 Bangkok
    1965 Kuala Lumpur
    1960 Manila

Lightbulb

aw c'mon.

China hosted the events three times last year! It should be given to another country! This is idiotic!
    FIBA-Asia Men's Hosting By Country:
    Japan (5) - 1971, 1979, 1991, 1999, 2007;
    China (5) - 1989, 2001, 2003, 2009, 2011;
    Malaysia (3) - 1965, 1977, 1985;
    Thailand (3) - 1969, 1975, 1987;
    Philippines (2) - 1960, 1973;
    South Korea (2) - 1967, 1995;
    Chinese-Taipei (1) - 1963;
    India (1) - 1981;
    Hong Kong (1) - 1983;
    Indonesia (1) - 1993;
    Saudi Arabia (1) - 1997;
    Qatar (1) - 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Servinio View Post
    FIBA-Asia Men's Hosting By Country:
    Japan (5) - 1971, 1979, 1991, 1999, 2007;
    China (5) - 1989, 2001, 2003, 2009, 2011;
    Malaysia (3) - 1965, 1977, 1985;
    Thailand (3) - 1969, 1975, 1987;
    Philippines (2) - 1960, 1973;
    South Korea (2) - 1967, 1995;
    Chinese-Taipei (1) - 1963;
    India (1) - 1981;
    Hong Kong (1) - 1983;
    Indonesia (1) - 1993;
    Saudi Arabia (1) - 1997;
    Qatar (1) - 2005.

edited.
    I meant decade

Hey Guyz let's stop talking about the AC Hosting
    Let's start predicting who will win the AC next year

This is my prediction

CHAMPIONS
    Either China,Iran,Korea or Lebanon

india wont host anytime soon ... to understand why india is so behind in fiba asia ... they were going to build finally build a modern indoor basketball stadium in delhi, the bfi even announced it in a press conference, said they would be using it as their 'National Basketball Academy.'
    “The blue print for the stadium is ready and the work order has been given. The construction will begin by the July first week,” BFI Sec-General Harish Sharma said.
    Then the Delhi high court and Indian Supreme Court declared the construction 'illegal' on the grounds that "the proposed indoor stadium would require installation of a 100-tonne AC plant, which would be hazardous for the environment." So it was demolished one week into construction.

AC Predictions: if all teams go at full strength, I think Iran might have the edge on China with Yao out .. Lebanon, Korea, Japan, Qatar, and Philippines

at the asian games Iran was without their top three players and only lost to host China in the semifinal by blowing the lead in the final minute.

My prediction for Fiba Asia 2011 goes like this:

1st tier:
    Iran(so far they have the best chances),Lebanon and China

2nd tier
    South Korea(can pull off a surprise and get into finals),Jordan and Philippines

3rd tier
    Japan,Taiwan and Qatar
    Proud to be Lebanese
    www.arabasket.com

Quote Originally Posted by daniab View Post

1st tier:

2nd tier

3rd tier
    Japan,Taiwan and Qatar
    Are they sending a team stronger than the one in the Asian Games? Because if they send the same team, it will be a bad showing. The 40-point loss to Korea was too much.

I agree that Iran has the best chances. They almost beat China in the Asian games without Haddadi and Samad. This really shows how the national team program of Iran is really strong.

Any new faces for Lebanon?
    "INSANITY IS DOING THE SAME THINGS OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS."

Quote Originally Posted by interxavierxxx View Post
    Are they sending a team stronger than the one in the Asian Games? Because if they send the same team, it will be a bad showing. The 40-point loss to Korea was too much.

I agree that Iran has the best chances. They almost beat China in the Asian games without Haddadi and Samad. This really shows how the national team program of Iran is really strong.

Any new faces for Lebanon?
    No Jordan team will have a better team,some of their experienced players weren't playing at the Asiad such as Sam Daghlas,Moussa Al Awadi,Zaid Abbas... but i dont think their team in 2011 will be that good, Rasheim Wright has clearly stated that whether his old team Zain pays him the rest of the money they still owe him or he won't be back to Jordan, Zaid El khas and Ayman Idais has retired from the NT and i dont see any young strong faces coming off the scene.

For Lebanon, there will surely be new blood in the team
    Proud to be Lebanese
    www.arabasket.com

PBA season will probably end in august. theirs enough time for the chosen PBA players to gel with gilas boys.

2013 PHL will host the FIBA asiad championship. as i read elsewhere, the arena near MOA will be finish by 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by daniab View Post

1st tier:

2nd tier

3rd tier
    Japan,Taiwan and Qatar
    i think that qatar is better than jordan specially with their multinational nt.

1st tier:
    Iran,Lebanon,China

2nd tier:
    South Korea,Philippines,Qatar

3rd Tier:
    Japan,Jordan
    ASIA 2011 CEDARS ARE COMING

i believe the team lebanon sent to the asian games was basically their B or C team, which explains why they were crushed by china and korea.

qatar is the most inconsistent team, they can look great one game, and terrible the next, 22 point loss to philippines and a 42 point loss to iran at asian games with their full NT team...maybe qatar basketball federation should expand outside of africa to import their NT players...theyre not getting their money's worth...but qatar has so much money they probably dont care.

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast