Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 67 of 67

Thread: Mark Cuban on WC-"the NBA is making a huge mistake"

  1. #61
    Senior Member HIGHLANDER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    586

    Default

    Until the US actually goes out and win the World Champs or Olympics they can not be considered the best in the world.
    The NBA is a National League. The F.I.B.A tournaments are official International competitions and recognized by the world. This is why i always laughed when the NBA champs where called world champs by the Americans.
    Anyway no one is doubting the standard of player's in the NBA, but to me it's all talk until they actually go out and take the Gold medal.
    Spain are the World Champs until someone defeats them.
    You can only beat who is in front of you..
    (Perhaps the rest of the world is starting to play better basketball and the US has gone so far down the entertainment route they forgot the fundamentals).

  2. #62
    Senior Member mktackabery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Durham, NC, USA
    Posts
    726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mavs128
    It's shocking to me how little respect people seem to have for NBA basketball. Does no one watch the Mavericks, or the Spurs, or the Pistons, or the Suns? Beautiful basketball that would win at any level in any league.
    You make some really interesting points here. These teams in particular that you mentioned are great to watch, mostly because of their team play and interaction. Unfortunately the rest of the league plays boring-ass basketball IMHO. I think there is no answer on this board to this question, but I am beginning to think European-style ball is a lot more interesting to watch.

    However, the worst of the NBA is translating into EL ball and some of the weaknesses of EL ball are coming over here. People like Sarunas are really struggling, and some players like Okur take a while, it seems, to really get into the groove of NBA ball. Personally I think the major mistake of any fan is to assume that either style is necessarily superior, and you make that point to. It's just different, and it's what you prefer.

    Sometimes I regret starting this thread.
    Michelle Tackabery
    Tackabery Chronicle
    Durham, NC, USA

  3. #63
    Administrator rikhardur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    21,175
    Country: Portugal

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER
    Until the US actually goes out and win the World Champs or Olympics they can not be considered the best in the world.
    The NBA is a National League. The F.I.B.A tournaments are official International competitions and recognized by the world. This is why i always laughed when the NBA champs where called world champs by the Americans.
    Same here, and besides it let's show a great deal of egocentrism (or ethnocentrism). But fortunately that is changing.

    Quote Originally Posted by mktackabery
    Personally I think the major mistake of any fan is to assume that either style is necessarily superior, and you make that point to. It's just different, and it's what you prefer.
    Couldn't agree more
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

  4. #64
    Senior Member damelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    on Earth, sometimes
    Posts
    1,845

    Default

    I agree also. But NBA is now boring me, maybe, I've seen too much of the same teams. Anyway, I like to see Toronto play, and I hope everybody will take example after Anthony Parker. He shows that you can be a great player in every style of game. He went to Europe and came back stronger in America. And Toronto is starting to win.

  5. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur
    Same here, and besides it let's show a great deal of egocentrism (or ethnocentrism). But fortunately that is changing.


    Couldn't agree more
    Well the NBA and the US used to be so far ahead, the winner deserved to call themselves as world champions.

    Not anymore though. We are no longer the force we used to be.
    Is basketball your life? Submit your basketball story

  6. #66
    Senior Member protossdomain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pilipinas
    Posts
    707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mightytoo
    Well the NBA and the US used to be so far ahead, the winner deserved to call themselves as world champions.

    Not anymore though. We are no longer the force we used to be.
    You are still THE FORCE and it will never change. Just remove the politics. >_<

  7. #67
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Now he's in MMA and trying to work a deal with the best fighter in the world... Then he'll host live events on HDNET... wow

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •