Mark Cuban on WC-"the NBA is making a huge mistake"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chez-martin
    Do you believe that the NBA expansion to Europe or to Asia would provoke that the USA fans were identifying more with the NBA teams of his city or of his country?
    good point!
    indeed under the current sircumstances major NBA clubs losing to Euroleague clubs in friendly games that matter nothing would probably cause MUCH more interest and dissapointment among USA public than their NT failing to beat Greece or Spain or whatever even if that was during the Olympic games.
    therefore one must agree that the inniciatives like the NBA Europe Live! should grow considerably in the future (growth will depend on how soon and how often we will beat NBA representatives). sure, this puts international competitions in danger (possible substitution by global club competitions), but it's actually hard to say, what the polytical cituation will look in, say, 20 or 30 years.. it's so darn unpredictable.. sure, now I would like the international competitions of national NTs to go on forever, but heck knows how international communities will develop.

btw, NBA Europe Live! last year it seemed that some of the teams that were included are really poor. and Kazan was one of them.. but look at them now: Lavrinovic twins, Cikalkin, Stombergas, Samoilenko with LTU NT coach Sireika and two of his assistants (Chomicius and Krapikas) at the helm. other players I have never heard of, but who cares I actually believe this team will have more chances to beat NBA club than Maccabi, who'll take part in a semi serious mini tournament along with CSKA as Euroleague finalists.
    Last edited by kestas; 09-05-2006, 04:35 PM.
    stop russia

Comment

Originally posted by King Bowser Koopa
      So you want an explanation, I have one: The NBA is not as superior as advertised. Live with that.

If the NBA is not superior than let me ask you a question. Why do all of the internaitional superstars go to teh NBA? Look, I think you can agree with me most of the best international stars find their way to teh NBA. (Gasol, Nowitiziki, Yao, ginobili, nocioni, even some greeks are following the trend) SO, how is Ball overseas superior to the NBA if all of your stars are playing in the NBA? the NBA is clearly superior, but its a different type of basketball, even in college, even in high school, even in youth leagues, the games different here in the US. THe matter of the fact is that the Americans arent as familiar with international play as all these other teams are because their leagues follow internationl rules. I truly do believe that if international rules were followed in the states, that the US would fair much better int hese tournaments. , HOw cdan you expect to teach a team the ins and outs of playing and attacking a zone and learing international ball in 3 weeks when other teams have beeen exposed to this kind of play for their whole lives? it isnt realistic. Another thing about this is that teh WC mean little to americans, most dont even really know that it went on unfortunantely. The olymipics are a bigger deal, but that shoudltn affect our winning. that being said, weve fialed to win the gold int eh olympics what, 1ce? in all of histroy..I think the us wil be back on track in 08 olympics,. I odnt understnad though, how greece comes out firing against the US 63%? then doenst even score 50 points against spain? i dont get it how can they go from so terrific to so pathetic? but how was US even 6 points within with theyre poor shooting..I tihnk US needs to learn to play D, theyll score, top scorers in tourney, gotta play D htough.

Comment

Originally posted by bball1234
        If the NBA is not superior than let me ask you a question. Why do all of the internaitional superstars go to teh NBA? Look, I think you can agree with me most of the best international stars find their way to teh NBA. (Gasol, Nowitiziki, Yao, ginobili, nocioni, even some greeks are following the trend) SO, how is Ball overseas superior to the NBA if all of your stars are playing in the NBA? the NBA is clearly superior, but its a different type of basketball, even in college, even in high school, even in youth leagues, the games different here in the US. THe matter of the fact is that the Americans arent as familiar with international play as all these other teams are because their leagues follow internationl rules. I truly do believe that if international rules were followed in the states, that the US would fair much better int hese tournaments. , HOw cdan you expect to teach a team the ins and outs of playing and attacking a zone and learing international ball in 3 weeks when other teams have beeen exposed to this kind of play for their whole lives? it isnt realistic. Another thing about this is that teh WC mean little to americans, most dont even really know that it went on unfortunantely. The olymipics are a bigger deal, but that shoudltn affect our winning. that being said, weve fialed to win the gold int eh olympics what, 1ce? in all of histroy..I think the us wil be back on track in 08 olympics,. I odnt understnad though, how greece comes out firing against the US 63%? then doenst even score 50 points against spain? i dont get it how can they go from so terrific to so pathetic? but how was US even 6 points within with theyre poor shooting..I tihnk US needs to learn to play D, theyll score, top scorers in tourney, gotta play D htough.

The pick and roll killed the US the whole game and thats the defense they play 82gamees a year BUT because the Greek team was SUPERIOR and could actually execute and read when the defense switches , steps out ,
        goes under the screen, goes over the screen ... things the NBA misses every night.. they could score very easily....
        I ve coached in the US for 20years and every team I coached knew about zone defenses again it s a matter of teamwork that NBA doesnt even
        recognize.....Funny how Lebropn James looked very human in the WC.....Hmmm makes you wonder about NBA.....

Comment

Originally posted by Trener
          Funny how Lebropn James looked very human in the WC.....Hmmm makes you wonder about NBA.....
          Not really, how could u say NBA isnt superior when international stars such as dowitziki, Gasol, Manu, Yao, Noccioni, etc got oplay in the NBA. The NBA has the best players in the world no question, all these players do tehir hting during teh WC, so u rsyaing hte league with all the top players isnt superior?

Lets not forget how young lebron is compared to his competition.....

Just answer how teh NBA isnt superior with all the international stars you claim make it inferior?

Comment

Not really, how could u say NBA isnt superior when international stars such as dowitziki, Gasol, Manu, Yao, Noccioni, etc got oplay in the NBA. The NBA has the best players in the world no question, all these players do tehir hting during teh WC, so u rsyaing hte league with all the top players isnt superior?

Lets not forget how young lebron is compared to his competition.....

Just answer how teh NBA isnt superior with all the international stars you claim make it inferior?
            What makes it inferior is the standard of play...now its 2steps before they put the ball one the floor..carrying with the ball...change of pivot foot on post moves and no whistle... mystery fouls to get Lebron and DWade to the foulline....lousy lousy passing... always uncontested dunks...Did you see any of that when US went hard to the rim to slam? No There actually was defense and we bricked most of the freethrows... They wont allow a real ZONE in the NBA becasue it would change the whole league..it wouldnt be OK idunk on you and then you dunk on me we ll both on ESPN..NBAsets the tone for all US basketball.. Watch NCAA now you ll see pivot foot changes and no call and the rest

Comment

The rule difference really didnt seem to be teh problem in this tournament, did it? It didnt seem to be a problem at all...And dont give me this, "well the ref's changed the rules for team USA", i watched many teams pick up a pivit foot with no call, and didn't notice any blantant no calls for team USA.

Comment

Originally posted by kestas

what federations: Olympic? ....maybe basketball (that would be plain absurd)?
                I seriously doubt Lithuania has ever recieved 10 mln USD from International Olympic Comitee just because we participate in the Games.

am I hopelessly uneducated, or is Cuban writing complete bulls*it?
                well he certainly has been known to throw that around on many occasions.
                Michelle Tackabery
                Tackabery Chronicle
                Durham, NC, USA

Comment

If the NBA is not superior than let me ask you a question. Why do all of the internaitional superstars go to teh NBA?
                  for various reasons. and not all of the best non-Americans play in NBA, not by a long mile. and plenty never will, actually.
                  NBA is superior in some ways and worse in others, so this can not be generalised. if we look at the attendance, money involved, public interest and individual tallent then NBA is superior, but if we look at deffense, teamwork, coaching and passion, then major European leagues are superior, and so on..
                  stop russia

Comment

Originally posted by kestas
                    for various reasons. and not all of the best non-Americans play in NBA, not by a long mile. and plenty never will, actually.
                    NBA is superior in some ways and worse in others, so this can not be generalised. if we look at the attendance, money involved, public interest and individual tallent then NBA is superior, but if we look at deffense, teamwork, coaching and passion, then major European leagues are superior, and so on..
                    I completely agree with your post.

When they started playing competive basketball in Europe, the only thing you could buy as a fan except for the match ticket (if there was one) was sunflower seeds. If you were lucky, someone might have been selling roasted chestnuts outside the stadium.
                    Last edited by EverGreen; 09-06-2006, 09:43 PM.
                    Mi imamo svoga boga, on se zove Bodiroga.
                    Demetrious "Primo Gavrorum Malleus" Diamantidis

Thank you for all you have given me. 6*
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Bxh4eYMxw

Panathinaikos is not just a club. It's a religion.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWbTZbfkI8

When the OAKA foundations moved a couple metres
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KbFl2mO8E0

Comment

Originally posted by EverGreen
                      When they started playing competive basketball in Europe, the only thing you could buy as a fan except for the match ticket (if there was one) was sunflower seeds. If you were lucking someone might have been selling roasted chestnuts outside the stadium.
                      hmmm, sunflower seeds and chestnuts. yuck. no barbecue and sweet tea?
                      Michelle Tackabery
                      Tackabery Chronicle
                      Durham, NC, USA

Comment

Originally posted by mktackabery
                        sunflower seeds rules

EverGreen was talking about the 80s or early 90s right now there are FastFood restaurants in the most Euroleague arenas.
                        47-70
                        76-58

Comment

Originally posted by Nikoo
                          sunflower seeds rules
                          tsik, tsik, tsik, tsik

Damn, must be a Balkan thing

Originally posted by Nikoo
                          EverGreen was talking about the 80s or early 90s right now there are FastFood restaurants in the most Euroleague arenas.
                          Man, I tell you, I reme the time coca cola started being sold by vendors and it caused a stir! I want one and I want two shouted the fans

Comment

Originally posted by mktackabery
                            Buddy, it was all about the game. No one thought of eating there. That was the last thing on fans mind. The 1st was to shout as much as they could to help their team to victory and hey..if there was an opportunity to terrorise the visiting team..why not take it up?

It was all about what Dejan is kissing in my avatar. The club above all.

Comment

yes well in the NBA it is all about the beer, the dance team, the beer, the fireworks, the giveaways at time-outs, the beer, and oh look! did somebody just dunk?
                              Michelle Tackabery
                              Tackabery Chronicle
                              Durham, NC, USA

Comment

Originally posted by EverGreen
                                Buddy, it was all about the game. No one thought of eating there. That was the last thing on fans mind. The 1st was to shout as much as they could to help their team to victory and hey..if there was an opportunity to terrorise the visiting team..why not take it up?

It was all about what Dejan is kissing in my avatar. The club above all.
                                Bodiroga simply amazing player

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information