Thread: Mark Cuban on WC-"the NBA is making a huge mistake"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mark Cuban on WC-"the NBA is making a huge mistake"

Mark Cuban, outspoken owner of the Dallas Mavericks, posted his thoughts yesterday on the participation of the NBA in the WC and other Olympic qualifying tournaments entitled "Lets Talk NBA & Olympics & WC ...again." As usual he boils things down to a financial equation. From a financial point of view (i.e., as the owner of a sports franchise) I can see some points, but I flat-out disagree with him on point 3 - I think how the U.S. performs in international competition matters.

Permalink to Blog Maverick post

Among the interesting things Cuban asserts: the U.S. Dream Team did not "ignite" international basketball, access to media, especially digital media, did. DVDs, videos, tapes, audio, internet, etc. Also basketball has been fueled by an influx of cash:
    Cash is king around the world, even in the most Communist of countries. As you can tell from the Olympics own site, they give out a TON of cash to international federations every year. The Olympics bring in 4 BILLION plus dollars every Olympic cyle. 92 percent of that money is distributed . International Federations that provide athletes to the Olympics get about $10mm each. Thats a lot of money to spend on developing their sport. On the flipside, its still relatively cheap to rollout a basketball and put up a basic hoop on a telephone pole.
    Lastly, he asserts that there is no other sport for a guy over 6'5" to play except basketball. (Like I said, Cuban boils this stuff all the way down to very simplistic points). But most interesting of all, he says that if anyone was really interested in national pride and making basketball an international sport, the U.S. would change their rules to mesh with international rules. But Americans only care if their NBA team wins, not if their country team wins. He asserts that if the WC was played and not a single NBA player participated, none of the above would change.

Personally on the last point is where I disagree with Cuban the most. I could give a bleep about the NBA and I certainly don't feel passionate enough about any NBA team to care more about them than the national team. But I didn't feel as passionate about the U.S. team this year as I did about Turkey's team, and the reason is because I cared about a player on Turkey's team who plays for my college team, which I am passionate about. (I'll thumb-wrestle you if you dis my Wolfpack). Cuban boils basketball down to financials, and I think this is the biggest problem in the U.S. People would support the U.S. team, if anyone told any stories about the teams they were playing against, about the formation of the team itself, etc. etc. But the sports media in the U.S. this summer talked about U.S. football ad nauseum, and baseball. The World Cup of Soccer and curling in the Winter Olympics got more air time this year than the WC. If you are from the U.S., tell me I'm wrong.

Anyway, I'm going on longer than I meant to . . . just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on what Cuban said. Those are mine.
    Michelle Tackabery
    Tackabery Chronicle
    Durham, NC, USA

Whatever, Mark always has something cute to say. Most importantly, UM-Canes will whoop NC State's tail this season!
    "...I got the hand that will rock your craddle / cream you like cheese spread you on my bagel..." - Shaq

The NBA people talk about the development of basketball like if they were bringing Civilization to barbarian tribes who eat their children. Gimme a break, this is not a sport nobody cares about, like American football. There was already an International Federation of Basketball like 15 years before the NBA existed. We don’t need anybody to come to teach us how to bounce the freaking ball.

No, the NBA has nothing to do with the development of basketball overseas, it’s not like we suddenly figured out how to play when we had access to the NBA, like if they had enlightened us or something.

Now I have a question: For a guy who doesn’t know the game what’s the difference between a dunk by Lebron James and another one from Olimpio Cipriano? Is a 3 pointer by Joe Johnson different from a 3 point shot of Larry Ayuso? I don’t think so. Then I don’t see how watching the US team could arise a special interest for the game in countries where basketball is less popular, I mean, other than the interest aroused by the very World Championship.

The point is the goal in sending the NBA players is not promoting basketball, but promoting the NBA itself. The problem is that, right now, the image of the US national team is below the level of quality the NBA brand advertises.
    Last edited by King Bowser Koopa; 09-04-2006 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by King Bowser Koopa
    No, the NBA has nothing to do with the development of basketball overseas, it’s not like we suddenly figured out how to play when we had access to the NBA, like if they had enlightened us or something.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...ance&x=35&y=17
    "...I got the hand that will rock your craddle / cream you like cheese spread you on my bagel..." - Shaq

On The US media ignoring the World Championship, I subscribe what Sarcosochus wrote at the “Reader Comments”

“The reason the World champs aren't big news in the US is simple: you all know you're losing, and are going to keep losing, and you cant handle it. So you downplay it and look away. Classic sour grapes, its as simple as that.”
    I would say the attitude of the American media towards the World Championship of basketball is similar to the way we, Europeans, affront the football (soccer in USA) Intercontinental Cup. The Intercontinental Cup, also known as the World Club Championship was a one match competition played each year, between the winner of the European competition (Champions League) and the winner of the South American competition (Copa Libertadores) with the purpose of determining who is the top club in the world.

But the problem is that our self-image of superiority in what respects to football clubs is deeply rooted. So people in Europe take it this way: if we win, it’s the indisputable proof that we have the best football clubs in the world. If we lose, it´s the indisputable proof that this tournament means nothing.

Now, the Intercontinental Cup is ignored by European media even more than the World Championships are ignored by American media. But I see a parallelism here.

Quote Originally Posted by mktackabery
    International Federations that provide athletes to the Olympics get about $10mm each.

what federations: Olympic? ....maybe basketball (that would be plain absurd)?
    I seriously doubt Lithuania has ever recieved 10 mln USD from International Olympic Comitee just because we participate in the Games.

am I hopelessly uneducated, or is Cuban writing complete bulls*it?

Quote Originally Posted by kestas

what federations: Olympic? ....maybe basketball (that would be plain absurd)?
    I seriously doubt Lithuania has ever recieved 10 mln USD from International Olympic Comitee just because we participate in the Games.

am I hopelessly uneducated, or is Cuban writing complete bulls*it?
    well he certainly has been known to throw that around on many occasions.
    Michelle Tackabery
    Tackabery Chronicle
    Durham, NC, USA

Now he's in MMA and trying to work a deal with the best fighter in the world... Then he'll host live events on HDNET... wow