Thread: Young or old, Who from the WC SHOULD be in the NBA?

Default Young or old, Who from the WC SHOULD be in the NBA?

Which players that played in the WC this year do you think
    belong in the NBA? Or if they are coming to the NBA this year
    do you think they can make an impact?

OLD (Not draft eligible)
    Jaun carlos navarro
    Dimitris Diamantidis
    Sofoklis Schortsianitis
    Luis Scola
    Robertas Javtokas
    Arvydas Macijauskas (I know he was there last year but he needs another shot)
    Larry Ayuso

Young (draft eligible)
    Marco Belinelli
    Rudy Fernandez
    Tiago Splitter
    M. Kalnietis
    Yi Jianlian
    Chen Jianhua
    (i've noticed that all the young International players are athletic making
    them great NBA prospects)

Coming to NBA this year
    Jorge Garbajosa
    Sergio Rodriguez
    Walter Herrmann
    Vasileios Spanoulis
    Uros Slokar

interesting would be a thread about players in the NBA who should not be there

lol thats true. Theres a lot of them lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxballer
    Which players that played in the WC this year do you think
    belong in the NBA? Or if they are coming to the NBA this year
    do you think they can make an impact?

OLD (Not draft eligible)
    Jaun carlos navarro
    Dimitris Diamantidis
    Sofoklis Schortsianitis
    Luis Scola
    Robertas Javtokas
    Arvydas Macijauskas (I know he was there last year but he needs another shot)
    Larry Ayuso
    Except Diamantidis, all of the above either played, drafted, or wanted to play in NBA, but the circumstances did not allow them to realize that, yet. Besides, I believe only Schortsianitis among these can make an impact in NBA.

hopefully non of the european players you mentioned above won't end up playing in NBA...
    they don't have to, especially youngsters..
    salaries in european basketball are bigger every year, quality of euroleague and ACB league, russian superleague and other big leagues is also growing every year...
    won't talk about fans and TV ratings 'cause in Europe NBA can compete with euroleague TV ratings..
    I also won't talk about fans passion for basketball 'cause you can't compare that.. maybe with NCAA, but not with NBA..
    i believe that this WC will have a great impact on the future of european basketball...
    first ever WC with two european teams in the final, Greece who is current european champion is hosting euroleague final four..
    man this will be another great year for basketball in europe..

I think Dwayne Wade could play in the ACB if he worked hard enough. He deserves an opportunity to play with the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Picek
    i believe that this WC will have a great impact on the future of european basketball...
    first ever WC with two european teams in the final, Greece who is current european champion is hosting euroleague final four..
    man this will be another great year for basketball in europe..
    I think the WC will have a great impact, but for the wrong direction for the European bball. The trend of NBA teams swallowing the good European players, and spitting mediocre American ones will only grow, specially after the US loss, and the pure domination of European teams. European teams can't compete with the money NBA teams can offer the players, so I sadly think that this (wonderful) WC will only promote this trend.
    D.

Quote Originally Posted by Digdis
    European teams can't compete with the money NBA teams can offer the players, so I sadly think that this (wonderful) WC will only promote this trend.
    D.
    at this stage they certainly can't compete with them...
    well atleast not when we are talking about money...
    but...
    ULEB is doing a great thing with euroleague year after year, TV ratings are constantly growing and that means much more sponsors and at the end much more money...

few years back there wasn't a single european team who could pay 2,1 million € for one player years wages..
    and that will have a big influence on players who will think twice before leaving europe...

Quote Originally Posted by King Bowser Koopa
    I think Dwayne Wade could play in the ACB if he worked hard enough. He deserves an opportunity to play with the best.

I agree, maybe Bilbao or some smaller club could use him but I don't think he is good enough to play for Barcelona or Tau or Real etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Picek

I agree, maybe Bilbao or some smaller club could use him but I don't think he is good enough to play for Barcelona or Tau or Real etc.
    Don't forget Malaga!

lmao ouch. I'm a Wade hater too. I don't think carrying the ball, traveling and constantly getting phantom fouls called in your favour is real basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxballer
    lmao ouch. I'm a Wade hater too. I don't think carrying the ball, traveling and constantly getting phantom fouls called in your favour is real basketball.
    Listen to these non US opinions my fellow US these guys tell you the real story about our overrated players and what they say is the truth.
    ONE PET PEEVE i HAVE IS hE IS AN ATHLETIC PLAYER ... ALL THESE guys are tremendous athletes....basketball is not a track meet although in the US you d think it was...IMAGINE how the NBA rosters would
    change if they allowed TRUE ZONE defense.....Hmmm.. Just Imagine

Quote Originally Posted by Trener
    Listen to these non US opinions my fellow US these guys tell you the real story about our overrated players and what they say is the truth.
    ONE PET PEEVE i HAVE IS hE IS AN ATHLETIC PLAYER ... ALL THESE guys are tremendous athletes....basketball is not a track meet although in the US you d think it was...IMAGINE how the NBA rosters would
    change if they allowed TRUE ZONE defense.....Hmmm.. Just Imagine
    To the point!!! Though I think they are very good players. They just lose too much by not playing the game the smart way as well and just resort to the physical-athletic side so much. The Jordan, Malone generation were athletic but they were still playing the game nicely. That's why back then scoring 40+ points was news. Nowadays, every couple of games you get 50 point performances, because the game pushes the star system so much.

Have you seen the Celtics team of the 80s? I wouldn't call McHale, Parish and Bird athletic at all, but oh boy they were great competitors and they played the game well! (with championships to prove). Was it Auerbach who once said about Bird:

He is not the most athletic guy but I don't know of another player who played the game better from the neck up and from the wrists down!!!

That's what I miss about the NBA lately. Most of the players are doing it for self exposure and image, like that guy Artest who was promoting music CDs after his ban from that fight on the stands...

Quote Originally Posted by sportingara
    To the point!!! Though I think they are very good players. They just lose too much by not playing the game the smart way as well and just resort to the physical-athletic side so much. The Jordan, Malone generation were athletic but they were still playing the game nicely. That's why back then scoring 40+ points was news. Nowadays, every couple of games you get 50 point performances, because the game pushes the star system so much.
    and yet 99% of American basketball fans seem to be convinced a top NBA team would win the worlds or the Olympics with ease.. and when Larry Brown tells on the radio that USA lost to Greece because the FIBA game is shorter and the rules are too bad for the US side, then it's really hard to see where the hope could come from.. and someone still suggests they should get an NBA coach.. what's the point? and btw, NBA made zones legal long time ago (but they have goaltending), yet almost no team uses them or does this amateurishly. while some of the best USA observers are pumping through the message than NBA doesn't need this stupid zone...
    this country still is floating in the clouds, the descent is not so easy, especially when your system doesn't really want you to get down to earth.. oh well, such is the nature of grand countries..

regarding NBA's financial powers.. the difference is decreasing dramatically.. players like Songaila or delfino had to play there practically for free before they managed to secure somewhat decent contracts. and as USA is looking economical crysis in the eyes (sure, they're looking there for a long time now, but it is hardly avoidable, imho) and EU is on the rise, I can see european clubs equalling the incomes of NBA clubs in less than ten years (or maybe not ).

and btw, just as NBA sometimes picks up very poor players from abroad, they can miss very good prospects on their own soil. this trend will continue, imho, as more and more American players decide to go to Europe instead of waiting for eternity to be called to an NBA club for a minimum minus taxes and housing.