Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Eurobasket 2015

Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur View Post
    That'd be very interesting, but considering the crisis Portugal is going through I don't know... I'm not for big time events at this moment. I suppose new arenas would have to be built.
    Yes maybe 2 arenas would be needed. But Mário Saldanha also said that Spain would host the major number of games. For example, Portugal to host 2 groups and 1 group in the 2nd stage and rest to be held in Spain.
    https://twitter.com/LuksKasabian

biding togheter with 4 nations is just proof of danko radic and basketball federation idiotisam

thanks to handball and being touristic countrie we could organise in 5 days tournament for 48 countries, not 24

6-7 neaw built arenas over last few years, 3 of them for 10000+ people, + few good old arenas with one 10000+, and and 2 of them for 7000 and 5000 people. and bunch of hotels and apartments who are half empty in this time of year

ok, state is in crisies. but lol, others need to invest 3-4 time more then us

i'm 100% sure because being neighburs with slovenia, serbia, bih, montenegro, italy, close to maccedonia, whille also having regular guests from germany, france, czech and whole europe would just make tournament pay's of it self

but our morons are to dumb to relize that
    Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Well, for 2015 it's not Germany anymore, it's France and friends apparently ...
    I don't know how the project started, but it looks like we somehow took over.

My local newspaper had more details on the 4 countries bid.

First round in Strasbourg, Milan, Berlin and Zagreb
    Second round : 1 venue per country again. Lyon (ASVEL) and Dunkirk (Gravelines) are competing for hosting the games in France. I don't have any details for the other 3 countries.

Knockout games : all in Paris in the renovated Bercy area.

the newspaper said there were 4 countries and 7 cities concerned.
    If both Lyon and Dunkirk count, then the second round games will also be played in Zagreb Milan and Berlin. If not, one of the other 3 countries will also use another arena for the second roung games.

Cost of the project : 35-40 mil euros. More than half for France alone.

This is just plain ridiculous Small countries like Lithuania or Slovenia manage to hold the event, but in 2015 we have 4 countries holding the event? Its a joke. What now? In the future olympic to be held in 10 countries at once?

Quote Originally Posted by thegreekmeister View Post
    This is just plain ridiculous Small countries like Lithuania or Slovenia manage to hold the event, but in 2015 we have 4 countries holding the event? Its a joke. What now? In the future olympic to be held in 10 countries at once?
    With the current crisis, it's the only option left.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

The only thing I don't want is a Eurobasket in Spain. LEB teams are praying for no more events to pay.
    FIRE THE NEXT ONE!!!
    EŭroKorbo, the useless basketball blog in esperanto.

Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur View Post
    With the current crisis, it's the only option left.
    Lets get real.. every single one of those 4 countries could pull it on their own.

Crisis is just an excuse.. like it is for lots of stuff in Europe in last few years.

Basic organisation of european championship costs aproximately 30 million €. Seems a lot on first sight, but than again 10 million can be obtained directly through ticket revenue, 10 from marketing revenue (nevermind Fiba controls 90% of it), city participation or sponsorships etc. the other 10 might be considered as a loss, but in reality pays double through various multiplication process in small economy (therefor paid by the state if sane), due to turism - and multiplicators due investments or spenditures (this time tourists) is the far best way to fight the economic crisis.

Crisis should be an excuse. I'd understand Portugal getting a group or two toghether with Spain, but France, Germany, Italy and Croatia all together? no way, they're all more than capable to organise it by themselves.

Default Eurobasket 2015 hoste by the Ukraine

German media reports today, that Germany along with possible-co-hosts France, Italy and Croatia pulled out of the race due to sudden changes by FIBA Europe in its demands for hosting the 2015-tournament. This leaves the Ukraine as the sole candidate to host it.
    Source (German): http://www.focus.de/sport/mehrsport/...id_693991.html

One major issues seems to be presenting a sponsor that guarantees 4 Milll Euro even if its not sure if the candidates will be getting the go from FIBA Europe to host it.

Eastern European domination. Slovenia is next after Lithuania and Poland. Then Ukraine.

I from Wisconsin!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

As much as my misstrust of Fiba is showing through every post related to it's issues, I am actualy saying good job on this one.
    Sponsorship might just be a smokescreen as ussual. The true reason might as well be the opposition to the proposed tournament scheme. Let's be honest, Germany, France, Italy and Croatia all have infrastructure to host this event by themselves, either of them would deserve to host it, yet they created this proposal as an easy way out as obviously none of the federations feels competent to organise the championship by themselves (with actuall exception to Croatia, which will fall out due to all those consecutive tournaments in eastern europe). Hopefully that'll give a clear message to other countries thinking about doing the same. Honestly, if Slovenia and Lithuania as one of the smallest countries in europe can organise this competition, the only excuse for bigger countries is that they're just not interested enough in hosting it.

On the other hand, Fiba gets tons of money through TV rights from their competitions and I don't see that money getting invested back into basketball the way FIFA and UEFA do... this sponsor issue is just showcasing their actual greed. I will be most glad to change my opinion (don't generaly like to bitch around those issues without proofs), yet didn't manage to find FIBA's relevant financial report anywhere on the net and while asking them for it through one of the channels few years back of course I did not receive any answer. If any of our journalists reading this thread might actualy get close to that... I believe it would make a good reading as EC and WC are making money unproportional to the Fiba's effect.

At the end, I am glad the quadraple candidature lost with it's strange location scheme, while I'd be most happy to support the EC 2015 in either of those individual countries.
    Last edited by Joško Poljak Fan; 12-14-2011 at 03:30 PM.

reportedley german and frace federations steped back to start "war" agaist fiba?

personaly i don't give damn because once again basketball would be played only in zagreb, and i'm sick of that evrything happens in zagreb

i wannt croatia to bid alone. sad thng is that croatia can organise EB alone today. 7-8 new arenas and bunch of hotels who are half empty during EB. but when morons from federation and politicans realize croatia unlike rest of countries could actualy make profit because there is not much investments, this new arensa will be 30-40 years old and not suted for such event like EB
    Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Lol, Croatia, France, Germany, and Italy all withdrew their bids so Ukraine had to get the host. Anyways, this is Italy's second time in the last two bids that they pulled out. Anyone know why?
    [SIGPIC]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419WJmXXpOL.jpg[/SIGPIC]

On December 18, 2011, the proposed venues are in the cities of Kharkiv, Donetsk, Dnipropetrovsk and the capital Kiev for the First Round with Odessa, Lviv and again Kiev hosting the Second Round and the Finals.

First round on east of Ukraine, second on west and final in central.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian 23 View Post
    Lol, Croatia, France, Germany, and Italy all withdrew their bids so Ukraine had to get the host. Anyways, this is Italy's second time in the last two bids that they pulled out. Anyone know why?
    I am not sure about the first reason, I've heard rumours that they've missinterpreted the rules and considered 15.000 arena is demanded for EC finals, while in reality that's for WC only, 12.000 is enough for EC.
    The second time they weren't participating alone, so I guess it wasn't their call.

Hopefully we won't witness any of such ridiciolous candidatures of 6 countries together, anymore.

4th in IBN EuroBasket 2013 Prediction game!

With the recent events, are there any news about 2015 eurobasket in Ukraine?

Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
    With the recent events, are there any news about 2015 eurobasket in Ukraine?
    The latest news I found in Ukrainian sites about it - some problems with arenas' building, choosing mascot for tournament. So nothing to worry about, usual stuff

4th in IBN EuroBasket 2013 Prediction game!

Italy, as top seed, was able to find Russia in his group (with Switzerland)... wow... the history of tough draws for us is endless...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast