No announcement yet.

Eurobasket 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When will we know where will it take place in 2015?

It would be great if it would take place in DE and FR, close to LT, so lots of fans could go there!
    Last edited by rikhardur; 05-01-2011, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Spain made a bid.
      Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
      Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by raph View Post
        Yep, i edited too late, i messed up the eurobasket 2013 and 2015.

Anyway in both cases, since the world is coming to its end in 2012, no reason to care a lot about it imo

ps : to answer seriously, the problem is that France would like to organize it alone, but they can't since we don't have the arenas to host the event. Only Bercy can host 10000+.
        It has more debatable consequences (such as qualifying the two countries while this euro qualifies for the olympics...). Or because Mainini is pushing for it (while being Fiba president...).
        Poland build their arenas for 2009, Lithuania built their arenas for 2011, Slovenia builds arenas for 2013, why France can not do the same thing?

Comment

New EuroBasket hosting format in 2015?

The tradition of one country hosting the whole EuroBasket tournament could change in 2015 if the proposal of Jose Luis Saez, the president of Spanish basketball federation is accepted by FIBA Europe.

Spain is among several countries interested in hosting EuroBasket 2015 but if their bid is chosen as the best, the tournament could be hosted in a new way, lrytas.lt reports.

The proposal of Jose Luis Saez is to host each stage of the tournament in a different city instead of a traditional way of hosting when the tournament is hosted in a single country.

The idea would work by selecting four cities for the group stage, then the other four cities for the second round and two more cities for the final round.

All of those cities or at least the majority of them would be located in different countries. As an example of possible host cities of a single stage Madrid, Rome, Berlin and Athens are mentioned.

According to Vladas Garastas, the president of Lithuanian basketball federation, Lithuania will support the new model of hosting EuroBasket. The chances that the new model will be accepted by FIBA Europe are further increased by a new liberal management of the organisation.

The most obvious example of the policy of FIBA Europe's new management was the decision to expand EuroBasket to 24 teams in 2013. The decision was then changed to apply in 2011 with less than a year left until the start of the tournament.

It is obvious that the organisers of a new model EuroBasket would have deal with unhappy fans who would have to spend more to see their team live since it would involve travelling around Europe for each stage.

On the other hand, if the tournament is hosted by a large country the distances between host cities can sometimes be larger than between the two cities located in different countries.
          What do you guys think about this? Is it a good idea? Is there a decent possibility of it actually happening?

Comment

NCAA Tournament-style Eurobasket?

Yeah, this seems like bad idea. Attendance is already problematic. This will make it worst.

Comment

Our Basketball Federation President is drunk of egocentrism.

It's absurd the Spanish bet when we're going to have the World Championship on 2014!
              FIRE THE NEXT ONE!!!
              EŭroKorbo, the useless basketball blog in esperanto.

Comment

Looks like that they are going to change the sistem after 2015. Jose Luis Saez made an preposition that eurobasket will not be played in countries but in cities from diffrent countries. Looks like that Fiba is very fond of it because this will reduce cost of orgranization...
                God help us win Spain in quatterfinals!

Comment

let s just give it to turkey. turkey s really good at hosting organizations

Comment

Originally posted by inefeswetrust View Post
                    let s just give it to turkey. turkey s really good at hosting organizations
                    Thats true! i was there and i cant wait to return to istanbul...
                    God help us win Spain in quatterfinals!

Comment

Originally posted by Gytaz View Post
                      New EuroBasket hosting format in 2015?

What do you guys think about this? Is it a good idea? Is there a decent possibility of it actually happening?
                      First of all, they must reduce once again the number of teams to max. 16! This Eurobasket will be a total failure in terms of attendance in the 1st round. Not to mention the Huuuuuge margins we are gonna see due to the enormous differences in quality of the teams...

Once this is done, the whole organisation will be brought back to decent levels so that one country/city can host the entire event...

For god's sake, it's not the Eurovision song contest! With 24 teams playing, the only ones left out are Lichtenstein, Malta, Andorra, Cyprus etc.!And they can't even give you a nice "douze points" when you need one!

Comment

I disagree. The only problem with this EC is that the groups are unequal, but that's just chance, it should be better next time. For me, more teams means more games, and if those games don't interest you, you can skip the first stage and start watching when there are only 12 teams left. More week teams doesn't mean that there will be less interesting games, perhaps just more boring games, but no-one's forcing you to watch them.

As for attendance, are you kidding me? A total failure? Most tickets are sold already. This might be the most successful Eurobasket in terms of attendance, definitely #1 by the total number of tickets, probably even one of the best in terms of average attendance.

Comment

More week teams doesn't mean that there will be less interesting games, perhaps just more boring games
                          You do realise the contradiction in your sentence, right?

As for attendance, are you kidding me? A total failure? Most tickets are sold already.
                          I'll believe this when I see sold-out arenas in the matches like Fyrom-Montenegro or Belgium-Georgia...

Comment

I haven't been paying as much attention as I'd like recently, but if i understood correctly Lithuania is finally taking the risk by selling tickets for the individual games? at least some percent of it?

I also have to disagree 24 teams are too many.
                            1st of all Fiba wants cash and this way they'll get that

After those 10 standard teams (France, Spain, Germany, Russia, Lithuania, Greece, Turkey, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia), Latvia is competitive, Bosnia has the potential to get far one day, UK is assembling a good team, Montenegro will join the top10, Italy also shouldn't be questionable and Israel will surprise people sooner or later... there you've got yourself a strong core of 16 teams that could theoreticaly fight for a medal if things go their way.
                            Those 8 teams remaining might not be able to compete for medals, but they can either be put into a basketball marginality without any hope to improve if they don't miracously produce another Dirk, or they can be given a chance to try to catch up someday. FYROMacedonia or Georgia for example might not need a lot to do that actually...
                            Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                            That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by Kalashnikov View Post

I'll believe this when I see sold-out arenas in the matches like Fyrom-Montenegro or Belgium-Georgia...
                              you've set a really bad example by this

2013 in Slovenia, Fyrom - Montenegro will easily be sold out, while basketball happens to be the no.1 sport in Georgia with their NT having occasional 10.000 attendance and few 1000 fans are expected in Lithuania, meaning they'll outshine some supposed "powerhouses" combined when it comes to attendance

When it comes to recent attendance, I don't think it's really possible that fans would be missed, as some pretty strong teams with long tradition don't assemble more than 500 untill the elimination stage, anyway...
                              Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                              That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by Kalashnikov View Post
                                Where's the contradiction? Think about it.

Perhaps you misunderstood me: by saying "more" and "less" I was talking about the number of games, not the general quality of all games. I was trying to say that although there will be games like Ukraine - Bulgaria, the games like Lithuania - Spain won't disappear (there won't be less of them) an you're always free to ignore the games that don't interest you.

I hope I made myself clear now.
                                Last edited by Gytaz; 05-27-2011, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information