Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eurobasket 2015

Our Basketball Federation President is drunk of egocentrism.

It's absurd the Spanish bet when we're going to have the World Championship on 2014!
    FIRE THE NEXT ONE!!!
    EŭroKorbo, the useless basketball blog in esperanto.

FB Connect

Looks like that they are going to change the sistem after 2015. Jose Luis Saez made an preposition that eurobasket will not be played in countries but in cities from diffrent countries. Looks like that Fiba is very fond of it because this will reduce cost of orgranization...

let s just give it to turkey. turkey s really good at hosting organizations

FB Connect

Quote Originally Posted by inefeswetrust View Post
    let s just give it to turkey. turkey s really good at hosting organizations
    Thats true! i was there and i cant wait to return to istanbul...

Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by Gytaz View Post
    New EuroBasket hosting format in 2015?

What do you guys think about this? Is it a good idea? Is there a decent possibility of it actually happening?
    First of all, they must reduce once again the number of teams to max. 16! This Eurobasket will be a total failure in terms of attendance in the 1st round. Not to mention the Huuuuuge margins we are gonna see due to the enormous differences in quality of the teams...

Once this is done, the whole organisation will be brought back to decent levels so that one country/city can host the entire event...

For god's sake, it's not the Eurovision song contest! With 24 teams playing, the only ones left out are Lichtenstein, Malta, Andorra, Cyprus etc.!And they can't even give you a nice "douze points" when you need one!

I disagree. The only problem with this EC is that the groups are unequal, but that's just chance, it should be better next time. For me, more teams means more games, and if those games don't interest you, you can skip the first stage and start watching when there are only 12 teams left. More week teams doesn't mean that there will be less interesting games, perhaps just more boring games, but no-one's forcing you to watch them.

As for attendance, are you kidding me? A total failure? Most tickets are sold already. This might be the most successful Eurobasket in terms of attendance, definitely #1 by the total number of tickets, probably even one of the best in terms of average attendance.

Kalashnikov

More week teams doesn't mean that there will be less interesting games, perhaps just more boring games
    You do realise the contradiction in your sentence, right?

As for attendance, are you kidding me? A total failure? Most tickets are sold already.
    I'll believe this when I see sold-out arenas in the matches like Fyrom-Montenegro or Belgium-Georgia...

I haven't been paying as much attention as I'd like recently, but if i understood correctly Lithuania is finally taking the risk by selling tickets for the individual games? at least some percent of it?

I also have to disagree 24 teams are too many.
    1st of all Fiba wants cash and this way they'll get that

After those 10 standard teams (France, Spain, Germany, Russia, Lithuania, Greece, Turkey, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia), Latvia is competitive, Bosnia has the potential to get far one day, UK is assembling a good team, Montenegro will join the top10, Italy also shouldn't be questionable and Israel will surprise people sooner or later... there you've got yourself a strong core of 16 teams that could theoreticaly fight for a medal if things go their way.
    Those 8 teams remaining might not be able to compete for medals, but they can either be put into a basketball marginality without any hope to improve if they don't miracously produce another Dirk, or they can be given a chance to try to catch up someday. FYROMacedonia or Georgia for example might not need a lot to do that actually...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Quote Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post

I'll believe this when I see sold-out arenas in the matches like Fyrom-Montenegro or Belgium-Georgia...
    you've set a really bad example by this

2013 in Slovenia, Fyrom - Montenegro will easily be sold out, while basketball happens to be the no.1 sport in Georgia with their NT having occasional 10.000 attendance and few 1000 fans are expected in Lithuania, meaning they'll outshine some supposed "powerhouses" combined when it comes to attendance

When it comes to recent attendance, I don't think it's really possible that fans would be missed, as some pretty strong teams with long tradition don't assemble more than 500 untill the elimination stage, anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Quote Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
    Where's the contradiction? Think about it.

Perhaps you misunderstood me: by saying "more" and "less" I was talking about the number of games, not the general quality of all games. I was trying to say that although there will be games like Ukraine - Bulgaria, the games like Lithuania - Spain won't disappear (there won't be less of them) an you're always free to ignore the games that don't interest you.

I hope I made myself clear now.
    Last edited by Gytaz; 05-27-2011 at 04:18 PM.

any news on Ukraine possible bid?

i find it funny how you say italy is not in top standard ten teams of europe............while germany and croatia are...ridiculous, 4 bad years does not mean yoiu are erased from basketball elite, then serbia would have been between 2005-2009, which they were not.........with jugoslavisa, soviet union, and greece and maybe spain, italy i founder of euro basketball and this year they will do vey well...germany in standard euro teams???hahhhhaa you must be joking........2010 flop, 2009 flop....germans not called dirk nowitzki should give up basketball which is a game for east/south europe....you mentioned gb national team in same breath as italy means you are crazy

Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur View Post
    Spain made a bid.
    ok everybody, bidding's over, you can all go home now.

voting will not take place, spain is awarded the competition by virtue of whining.

congratulations, see you in the 2014 worlds and the 2015 eurobasket. oh, and the 2016 euroleague f4, which will no doubt be awarded to the beautiful city of barcelona, and quite rightly so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richey666 View Post
    yeah. fuck it. greece vs turkey, i dont care, whoever wins, I lose

Germany's bid now beside France includes Zagreb and Milano as well

I've got an idea... let's just determine London, Moscow, Istambul and Madrid as the regular group stage venues, Berlin and Paris as the elimination stage and Rome for the final venue... we're covered for the next 20 years and spared of over sugarly pan-european cross border organisation plans and once more, noone will be held responsible if any european championship will be as dissastrous as the one in Sweden since you can't hold 7 federations responsible.

If Fiba Europe would't include as much power from basketball marginal countries (still searching for a logical translation of vukojebina) such as Andora, Luksemburg or Cyprus I would at least have hope that the organisation would've lol'd once or twice at such fairy tales and go with the best candidate, but this way I am afraid they might as well go with this plan.

Germans, no dissrespect, but if you desire to organise such an event, do your best and do it on your own. Candidature of 4 countries is just not serious and if a country as Germany isn't able to put in the resounces to succesfully hold an european championship, than they shouldn't get one. This co-hosting is for my criteria acceptable for smaller economies that basicaly wouldn't be able to do it all on their own, even if given their best.
    I normaly don't do that, but this time I'm praying this plan fails for the sake of bball.

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalDlx View Post
    ok everybody, bidding's over, you can all go home now.

voting will not take place, spain is awarded the competition by virtue of whining.

congratulations, see you in the 2014 worlds and the 2015 eurobasket. oh, and the 2016 euroleague f4, which will no doubt be awarded to the beautiful city of barcelona, and quite rightly so.
    Spain is the country with better stadiums for basketball in europe
    BARÇA O MUERTE

According to Danko Radić (president of Cro federation) Eurobasket 2015 will 99% be held in Germany, France, Italy and Croatia.

4 countries for one tournament? Really? What the fuck..

Quote Originally Posted by orgoglioslavo69 View Post
    i find it funny how you say italy is not in top standard ten teams of europe............while germany and croatia are...ridiculous, 4 bad years does not mean yoiu are erased from basketball elite, then serbia would have been between 2005-2009, which they were not.........with jugoslavisa, soviet union, and greece and maybe spain, italy i founder of euro basketball and this year they will do vey well...germany in standard euro teams???hahhhhaa you must be joking........2010 flop, 2009 flop....germans not called dirk nowitzki should give up basketball which is a game for east/south europe....you mentioned gb national team in same breath as italy means you are crazy
    you mean the Great Britain team that qualified properly, while Italy had to rely on FIBA changing the rules? It's not a history contest, it's all about what's happening right now, my friend.

Belgium also qualified legitimately, while Bosnia and Ukraine (for example) had to also rely on FIBA bailing them out. I think your 'East / South Europe' theory is quickly unravelling.....

Portuguese Basketball Federation plans a joint bid with Spain to host EuroBasket'15 according to the president Mário Saldanha.
    https://twitter.com/LuksKasabian

Quote Originally Posted by Cibos View Post
    According to Danko Radić (president of Cro federation) Eurobasket 2015 will 99% be held in Germany, France, Italy and Croatia.

4 countries for one tournament? Really? What the fuck..
    You sure he didn't mean ONE OF those four will host it?

I hope Macedonia can host something, though I doubt it. We hosted the UEFA Women's U-19 European Championship! That counts for something, right? ..

Quote Originally Posted by Luíz for 3 View Post
    Portuguese Basketball Federation plans a joint bid with Spain to host EuroBasket'15 according to the president Mário Saldanha.
    That'd be very interesting, but considering the crisis Portugal is going through I don't know... I'm not for big time events at this moment. I suppose new arenas would have to be built.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast