Philippine National Teams - Past and Present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Johnny A. was a revelation in this tournament. Johnny A. became so popular after the 1994 Asian Games that he became a household name in the Philippines. Johnny A's rise to stardom also began Alaska's rise as a PBA powerhouse team during the 90's.
    I remember that under the kilikili shot against a 6'10 Japanese guy in the '94 Asian games. I'm looking for a video of that but can't seem to find any on youtube.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Limpot,Meneses,Aquino,Ravena,Abbarientos,Pablo, Boyet Fernandez in '91 SEA Games

"How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
        The first Philippine team game that i did really remember was that one against Japan, also in this tournament. I think this was the first time i see Johnny A play.This team i bleieve is a very good combination of pro and amateur players

amateurs: Aquino,Abbarientos and Duremdes.Correct me if i am wrong.Too bad Espino (amateur), Magsanoc (pro) ,Paras (pro), Feihl (amateur), Limpot (pro) and Meneses (pro) were not in the lineup.

Aquino,Duremdes,Espino, Feihl and Cariaso were the amateurs then that Coach Norman Black invited to try out for the two spots vacated by the then injured Samboy Lim and veteran Mon Fernandez, Duremdes being the top amateur wing that time and Marlou arguably the most dominant young big that time made it to the team
        Last edited by hmbopbaduwap; 10-15-2020, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Johnny A. was a revelation in this tournament. Johnny A. became so popular after the 1994 Asian Games that he became a household name in the Philippines. Johnny A's rise to stardom also began Alaska's rise as a PBA powerhouse team during the 90's.
          this is the tournament where Joe Betancourt, the Charlotte Hornets asian scout first saw Johnny play.. Joe was coaching the Saudi Arabia National team and guided the Saudis into their best finished in the Asian Games finishing 7th placed
          Last edited by hmbopbaduwap; 10-15-2020, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
            I remember that under the kilikili shot against a 6'10 Japanese guy in the '94 Asian games. I'm looking for a video of that but can't seem to find any on youtube.
            this is the game were we loss on a Patrimonio missed on a 1 and 1 free throw for the bronze

Comment

• Originally posted by hmbopbaduwap View Post
              Aquino,Duremdes,Espino, Feihl and Cariaso were the amateurs then that Coach Norman Black invited to try out for the two spots vacated by the then injured Samboy Lim and veteran Mon Fernandez, Duremdes being the top amateur wing that time and Marlou arguably the most dominant young big that time made it to the team
              I think coach Norman Black thought of picking 4 or even all 5 amateur players in the pool for the 12-man roster. But after a a series of exhibition games vs. PBA teams which exposed some glaring weakness of the team, the coaching staff thought of reinforcing the team with a No. of PBA players. Hence, Patrimonio, Codiñera & Evangelista were enlisted in the pool. With the 3 Purefoods players inclusion to the pool, Espino, Cariaso & Feihl had to be cut. I even remember Dennis Espino making "tampo" that he (together w/ Cariaso & Feihl) had to be cut from the pool to give way to Patrimonio & company. He thought na parang unfair that they were cut from the pool when they have been practicing/training in the pool for several months already.
              "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• 1985 Jones Cup NCC vs. Italy

Comment

• 1990 National team vs People's Republic of China. What if they were already doing the hybrid team of Amateurs and Pros already here and pay more attention to height,skills,youth and athleticism.

Some amateur young player who are 18-20 years old in 1990 are:

Vergel Meneses 6'4
                  Jun Limpot 6'6
                  Bong Ravena 6'2
                  EJ Feihl 7'1
                  Danny Francisco 6'7
                  Johnedel Cardel 6'1
                  Vic Pablo 6'3
                  Johnny Abarrientos 5'7
                  Marlou Aquino 6'9 (17 years old)

Pros:
                  Samboy Lim 6'1
                  Benjie Paras 6'6
                  Alan Caidic 6'3
                  Jerry Codiñera 6'5
                  Ronnie Magsanoc 5'8
                  Alvin Patrimonio 6'3
                  Jojo Lastimosa 6'2
                  Nelson Asaytono 6'5

Last edited by Alex07; 11-25-2020, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• Benjie Paras is 6-foot-5, Caidic is 6-foot-2, Jolas is only 6-1 & Asaytono is 6-foot-3.
                    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by hmbopbaduwap View Post
                      this is the game were we loss on a Patrimonio missed on a 1 and 1 free throw for the bronze
                      The one and one! One bullshit FIBA rule I’m glad they abolished. It rewarded fouling too much, especially if you fouled a poor FT shooter.

Although, you wouldn’t expect a career 80+% FT shooter like Alvin to flub a 1 and 1.

One free throw rule I do miss is the MBA’s free three.

Comment

Benjie Paras is 6-foot-5, Caidic is 6-foot-2, Jolas is only 6-1 & Asaytono is 6-foot-3.
                        Some pages say Asaytono is 6'4 I think that's more realistic. I really think we should have sent 50% percent of the amateurs and 50% of the pros, guys like Abarientos, Aquino, Meneses, Limpot, Duremdes and Feihl went to represent the centennial team later on, but I think they are already playing internationally on less prestigious competitions like the SEA Games. They could have been easily supplemented by PBA superstars like Caidic, Magsanoc ,Patrimonio, Paras, Asaytono and Lastimosa.
                        Last edited by Alex07; 11-26-2020, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• I feel nostalgic watching these videos of our Phi Centennial team in 1998:

The 13th Asian Games, Bangkok 1998: Heroes On The Rise: A KBP Live Coverage: Men's basketball Broze medal match: Philippines vs. KazakhstanTV Networks: ABS-C...

This was our first game in the 1998 William Jones Cup vs. the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.....

Even yung mga advertisements bring back memories. Can't believe its already 22 years ago. Parang kailan lang. I remember wala pang cable TV sa lugar namin at that time so we had to watch the National team games & even the PBA games in a restaurant in the town proper that served beer. We had to buy 3 to 4 bottles of beer & some pulutan just to watch a game or two.

Sweet & humble memories.

Comment

• Philippine Roster vs. India(Round 1 2nd window qualifiers for 2023 World Cup)
                            1. RR pogoy
                            2. Kelly Williams
                            3. Tzaddy Rangel
                            4. William Navarro
                            5. Angelo Kouame
                            6. Robert Bolick
                            7. Kib Montalbo
                            8. Dwight Ramos
                            9. Thirdy Ravena
                            10. JP Erram
                            11. Troy Rosario
                            12. Juan Gomez De Liaño

Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                              Philippine Roster vs. India(Round 1 2nd window qualifiers for 2023 World Cup)
                              1. RR pogoy
                              2. Kelly Williams
                              3. Tzaddy Rangel
                              4. William Navarro
                              5. Angelo Kouame
                              6. Robert Bolick
                              7. Kib Montalbo
                              8. Dwight Ramos
                              9. Thirdy Ravena
                              10. JP Erram
                              11. Troy Rosario
                              12. Juan Gomez De Liaño

to be fair with chot and SBP, the team is actually a good mix of veterans and youth, though they seriously lack preparation time and continuity from the previous program.

Comment

• Originally posted by CoJ View Post
                                to be fair with chot and SBP, the team is actually a good mix of veterans and youth, though they seriously lack preparation time and continuity from the previous program.
                                Well the other teams didn't do much better. I think NZ got less prep time. Korea too based on what I read.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information