Fabricio Oberto retires from basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabricio Oberto retires from basketball

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP)—Portland Trail Blazers center Fabricio Oberto abruptly retired Thursday because of a previously diagnosed cardiac condition that caused heart palpitations.

Oberto, in his sixth year in the NBA, was signed as a free agent by the Blazers one day before the start of the season to help the frontcourt while centers Joel Przybilla(notes) and Greg Oden(notes) heal from knee surgeries.

Oberto experienced dizziness in Portland’s game against Milwaukee on Tuesday.

“I made this decision to put my health and my family in front of basketball,” Oberto said in a statement. “It was a tough decision to make after playing for so many years, but it was the right one.”

Oberto, a native of Argentina who played on the team that won the gold medal in the 2004 Athens Olympics, played in each of the first five games for the Blazers, averaging 1.4 points and 1.4 rebounds in 9.0 minutes.

Blazers coach Nate McMillan said he understood the decision.

“It wasn’t worth the risk of something serious happening,” he said.

Oberto played for four seasons with San Antonio, starting at center for the Spurs’ NBA championship team in 2007. He spent last season with the Washington Wizards.

He has averaged 3.2 points and 3.5 rebounds in 14.5 minutes over 336 career games, including 128 starts.

He was used off the bench to help Marcus Camby(notes), who has served as Portland’s starting center in the absence of Oden and Przybilla, who were both injured last season and required surgery.

Przybilla has already started contact practice and is expected to be back by Thanksgiving. There is no timetable for Oden’s return.

McMillan said Przybilla’s return would not be pushed up in light of Oberto’s retirement.

“We just have to be patient, we really do, and not put him at risk,” McMillan said.

The Blazers will look outside for help at center, he said.

The Blazers had planned this season to back up Camby with second-year forward Jeff Pendergraph(notes). But Pendergraph was injured in the preseason and required season-ending surgery. The Blazers waived him.

Portland also announced Thursday that rookie guard Elliot Williams(notes) would have surgery to repair a dislocated right patella. He will likely miss the rest of the season.

The team knew Williams would eventually need surgery, but he wanted to play on it while he could, McMillan said. Williams was sore after practice on Wednesday.

Portland selected Williams with the 22nd overall pick of the draft this June. He averaged 17.9 points, four rebounds and 3.8 assists as a sophomore at Memphis last season.
    from yahoo!sports
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Very disappointing news about Oberto. He won a Gold Medal back in '04, an NBA Championship back in '07, 2 Liga Sudamerica Campeonatos in '97 and '98, an American Cup Gold Medal in '01, a Copa del Rey Title in '02, a Spanish League title in '02, Silver Medal in the Worlds in '02, a ULEB Cup in '03...wow, what a career. What an absolutely brilliant career.

Like Sabonis and Rebraca, Oberto came to the NBA late in his professional career, after gaining a few extra pounds and slowing down a little. He was still a good player for San Antonio and gave them a big boost defensively in the post. Popovich called him a "bull in a china shop," I remember.
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

One of the smartest and toughest players around, one of my favourites. All the best, Fab.

Comment

This comes as a piece of shocking news to me. I think other players had the same problem in the past, but after some evaluation they ended up coming back. I guess it must be something serious to some extent and considering his age, maybe there was no option left. Maybe I'm mixing things, but didn't he have similar heart problems a couple of years ago?
        I learned to admire him over the years. Way back when he was still in Europe I actually regarded him as an overrated player, but as time went by he just convinced me of the opposite. And more than that, he was one of those few players who in my eyes truly loved his job, he irradiated love for basketball all over. And of course, he was unable to say no to the national team. One of Argentina's greats ever for sure. I wish he could have ended his career in Europe.
        Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
        Artificial Nature

Comment

In lieu of this disappointing news, I am glad that the cardiac condition was detected and diagnosed early. I have read of cases where general defects of cardiac conditions are often left undiagnosed or undetected until one suffers a mild stroke or a cardiac arrest.

Tragic ones like Pete Maravich come into mind.

I'm wishing all the best for Oberto.
          Sacramento Kings
          HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

That's a shame, I'm sure he would have at least liked to play the FIBA-Americas at home next summer.

He isn't making the Blazers pay him either:

When a player suffers a season- or career-ending medical condition, he's entitled to receive every dollar he's due. But Oberto, 35, didn't go that route. In fact, after discussing his medical issues with Blazers officials, doctors and his agent, Oberto agreed to sign an addendum to his contract converting it from guaranteed to non-guaranteed.

In fact, he insisted on it, said Oberto's agent, Herb Rudoy.

"He just absolutely was adamant when we talked about it," Rudoy said Thursday night. "He didn’t feel it was correct to be there for a week and get paid for the season."
            Originally posted by Fedfan
            Most ppl get childish when they lose.
            Originally posted by GuTO
            refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
              he was one of those few players who in my eyes truly loved his job, he irradiated love for basketball all over.
              That reminded me of a quote, which I thought was from Gregg Popovich, but I looked it up and it's from Ginobili: “He [Oberto] knew exactly how I wanted the screens. He had a passion for setting screens like I’ve never seen.
              "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by JGX View Post
                That's a shame, I'm sure he would have at least liked to play the FIBA-Americas at home next summer.

He isn't making the Blazers pay him either:
                That's a sign of a true gentlemen.

As CKR13 mentioned it's good that they realized that his conditions was serious and he had to retire or else we could have had another Reggie Lewis (RIP) or Jason Collier (RIP) case.

Comment

Some reactions on his retirement.
                  Artificial Nature

Comment

Oberto is willing to play again if it's proven he's healthy.
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

ARG - Oberto is closer to return to the court:

BUENOS AIRES - Argentinean center Fabricio Oberto successfully passed some heart tests done in Austin, Texas, USA. Oberto arrived in Buenos Aires and clearly he wants to play in the 2011 FIBA Americas Championship.

The tests were done at the Texas Cardiac Arrhythmia under the supervision of Dr. Andrea Natale. The veteran center had to retire this NBA season due to cardiac arrhythmia.

The player will meet with the doctor of the Argentinean national team, Diego Grippo who said: "It will be a follow-up meeting. He will come with the test results and if we consider that he has to go into more tests he will do them. He added "If everything is ok, Fabricio won't have any problems in returning to play."
                      Artificial Nature

Comment

Atenas Córdoba will be the priority for Oberto if he comes back
                        Artificial Nature

Comment

ARG – Oberto training again, may play in Mar del Plata

BUENOS AIRES (FIBA Americas Championship) - Fabricio Oberto could end his brief retirement and play for Argentina at the FIBA Americas Championship in Mar del Plata this summer.

The veteran center quit playing in November because of the arrhythmia that he began experiencing in 2008.

The 35-year-old, who played at last summer's FIBA World Championship in Turkey before joining Portland, felt lightheadedness and dizziness in a game and retired shortly after.

On his last visit to the Texas Cardiac Arrhythmia in Austin, Texas, doctors examined Oberto and decided he was able to return to training.

Oberto, who is working out 35 minutes a day, told Ole newspaper: "For now I am calm.

"I was sure when I took the decision to retire and I have to be now.

"Today I am a former player, but with the dream to be at the 2011 FIBA Americas Championship.

"I hope that it happens, but I don't want to hurry and make false steps."

The two top teams at the FIBA Americas Championship will qualify for the 2012 Olympics.

Argentina coach Julio Lamas has confirmed that barring injury, Manu Ginobili, Carlos Delfino, Andres Nocioni, Luis Scola, Pancho Jasen, Pablo Prigioni and Leonardo Gutierrez will be in the squad that plays in Mar del Plata.
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

The Chicago Bulls made an offer to Oberto.
                            Artificial Nature

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information