Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Vietnam have a basketball team/players?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lowman View Post
    Check this article out! They do have a team, and they did not finish in last place in the tournament.

I have been trying to find more info or coverage of this but have not been able to. My main question is who are the players on these teams. With the PBA in season, it can't be the Philippine National Team.

Anyone have info on this tournament?
    Looks like Vietnam beat Brunei in a rematch to finish 7th place in the China-ASEAN Basketball Invitational.

------------------------------------------------

Thursday, December 9, 2010

THE national basketball team finished eighth at the recently concluded 3rd China-Asean Basketball Invitational tournament at Pingguo County, Guangxi, China from Nov 30 - Dec 6.

A fatigued Brunei side were humbled 77-55 by Vietnam in the battle for seventh place on Monday.

The team was hoping to improve on their fifth place finish two years ago whereby the Sultanate managed to capture three wins.

But unlike two years ago when the team had four Filipinos, only Don Mordeno and Marjomar Aying were in the line-up after Elvin Requintin and Geve Leones begged off due to personal reasons.

This year, the team only managed one win - against Vietnam 87-83 in the group stages on Saturday.

Comment

I'm Vietnamese, I'm player basketball. In vietnam not have national basketball team but not so movement basketball in Vietnam not development. If you are vietnamese, you can visit forum of vietnam's basketball: www.bongrovietnam.com
      thanks you!

Comment

It's true that professional basketball is not popular among non-basketball player but there sure are professional basketball teams based on cities . There are many amateur leagues around the years also. Indeed basketball is popular ,but the media care nothing about this sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Baller Jobe View Post
          Ngo is a common Filipino Chinese name as well in the Philippines. Add to that is the fact that the first name of "Bryan" is a very common first name for Filipinos. Note that Bryan with a "y" is very Filipino. So I would say that Bryan Ngo is definitely Filipino.
          Based on comments from users on this forum and other websites, apparently Bryan Ngo is half Filipino and half Vietnamese.

Comment

Basketball courts in Ha Noi (Viet Nam): http://www.bongrovietnam.com/forum/s...i-Ha-Noi/page1

A basketball court in Can Tho city (Viet Nam)

http://www.courtsoftheworld.com/ is not enough information

Comment

I've also been trying to research information on the basketball scene in Vietnam. There seems to be no true professional league. The national team seems to be a squad thrown together with the top amateur players in the country. I 'd love to see Vietnam develop their Basketball program more. Heck, I 'd love to take part in developing Vietnam's Basketball program. I finish up my masters in sports management soon and wouldn't turn down a trip to go back to Vietnam to coach.

Comment

i'm still hoping Vietnam will compete in the SEABA championship this year
                and i hope all SEA team will equal as RP team in term of quality...

Comment

Looks like someone in Vietnam is finally stepping up to promote the game in Vietnam. Big ups to Saigon Sports Academy for having the balls to place a team in Saigon, not knowing if there will be any type of support for them. I've been looking all over the internet and there is very little talk about the team.. embarrassing. But give it time. I'm sure the game will grow wildly as Saigon Heat gets a couple seasons under its belt.

Comment

How good are the Vietnamese?

I haven't followed Asian Int'l ball in a while, but just curious if the Vietnamese even have an International team...if so, how have they progressed over the past 10yrs? Thanks.

Comment

Vietnamese do have a National Team but I don't think they're very good. A few years back there was news that the Vietnamese team was going to compete in the Asia Games or something, but because they weren't probably going to win a medal, funding was taken back and they were not sent to play.

Vietnam is currently ranked 96 among FIBA teams.

Just looking at the junior level, they went 0-5. Their tallest player was around 187cm/6'1" which obviously isn't good enough to compete.

However, Vietnam does allow dual-citizenship now. I suspect that if Vietnam really wants to get better in basketball, they could do something similar to the Philippines, where they give dual-citizenship at a young age thus allowing more "Vietnamese" talent to play for their team.

There's also a team called, Saigon Heat, in the ASEAN league. Outside of the Philippines, doesn't seem like most SouthEast Asians teams have serious potential to breakthrough Asia right now.

Last edited by DarknessFalls; 05-27-2012, 10:32 PM. Reason: fixed grammar

Comment

Here was an article regarding that FIBAU16 championship tournament that they hosted.

16/10/2011
                        VIE - Vietnam “excited and nervous” about maiden appearance

NHA TRANG CITY, Vietnam (2nd FIBA Asia U16 Championship): For a team which is not only hosting its first ever FIBA Asia event, but also participating in a FIBA Asia event for the first time, Vietnam exude a level of enthusiasm and effervescence that belies their minnows status.

“We might be new and inexperienced, but we hope to make up for that with our passion, commitment and intensity,” said the coach of Vietnam’s first ever international team Nguyen Thien Son.

Standing at an average height of 177.33 cms, Vietnam bring in the shortest team overall, but “again we will try to make up for our shortcomings with our hard work,” Thien Son said.

“Of course I am proud,” the 30-year-old said of coaching a team from this SEABA nation in their maiden international appearance.

“I’m also equally excited and nervous at the same time,” he said.

“Look, we know our limitations and shortcomings. Therefore I would prefer to play it low,” he said asked about his team’s chances.

“We hope to catch the attention of the sports fans in Vietnam with our performance. From a basketball point of view, I hope this team is a starting point for many more participations,” the coach said during a stretching session on Saturday.

“Considering this is the youngest age group, I knowing many players here are inexperienced, but I have to confess my players are the lowest rung in that factor. Therefore my only message to them has been ‘Let’s give our best. We should not look bad for want of trying.’ I’d like to keep it as simple as that,” Thien Son said.

“We got lucky with the draw, which means we get to play more games against stronger teams,” Thien Son said about being grouped in Group D for the Preliminary Round with Philippines and Indonesia – all three assured of a place in Second Round.

“We love this opportunity. It all depends on how well utilize it,” he said.

Talking about the process of forming the team, Thien Son explained: “We actually have a lot of tournaments for young players in Vietnam. The core of this team was formed from the National U17 games, but we also picked a few others from outside that.”

“It’s not that Vietnamese fans are new to basketball. Games from the NBA are very popular here. It’s time to show them (Vietnamese fans) that even their team is capable of playing good basketball,” Thien Son said.

“Irrespective of the results of the games, I am sure that Vietnamese basketball and its future will be richer by this experience,” he said.

Vietnam open their campaign against Indonesia immediately after the Opening Ceremony.

Comment

Vietnam has a team in ABL the Saigon heat
                          sigpicNEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Comment

Ecstatic about hearing that almost all of Saigon Heat's home games at Tan Binh Stadium were sellouts! They also had former NBAer Julius Hodge on their squad. There is no where to go but up from their first season!

Comment

Professional basketball in Vietnam has not yet developed, but the community of people passionate about basketball players and not so that fewer

Vietnam with Saigon Heat, the first professional team to participate in the professional Southeast Asia (here)

Vietnam was the women's basketball first beach in Tra Vinh held last July (here)

Vietnam has had national championships (here)

Vietnam also has the quality movement tournament for players (here, here, here...)

And more than ever, we (www.bongrovietnam.com) are trying to create what is best for the basketball Vietnam with all what we have: passion, desire and dedication.

Visit www.bongrovietnam.com for updates what the latest basketball Vietnam.

Comment

I checked out your site, even though I cannot understand much, seems to have a lot of content. The fact that your site has 13,000 Facebook followers already speaks of the potential of the sport in Vietnam.

Hope Bóng rổ continues to develop in your country!
                                aim low, score high

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information