Can Scola be an all-star this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Scola be an all-star this year?

After a superb world championships where he was the leading scorer in the tournament, will Scola make the next step in the NBA and become an all-star? He showed good improvement in his second year in the NBA, averaging over 16 points.
    I think he can, because now Adelman has had a chance to watch just how good of an offensive player Scola can be. Yao will be limited to 24 minutes per game, so Scola will likely shoulder more of the load and can even play some spot minutes at center.
    Could Scola be a 20-10 guy this year? Maybe.

I am as big of a fan of Scola as anyone but I just don't see him being an all star this year. Three things are working against him:

1) The other forwards in the West that he would be competing against are Durant, Nowitzki, Gasol, Duncan, Al Jefferson, Zach Randolph, David Lee, Blake Griffin, Kevin Love, Jeff Green. I believe only 5-6 forwards are chosen and Durant, Nowitzki and Gasol are essentially locks unless someone gets injured. So that would mean Scola would have to outplay all but 2-3 of the rest of the guys on the list.

2) Rarely do teams get 2+ all stars unless they are one of the top teams in the league and the Rockets, although they are a good team, probably will only get 1 all star next year. Even if Yao is limited to 24 minutes a game the Rockets will probably rely on Kevin Martin a little more than Scola.

3) Yao gets all of the China votes every year

Comment

I'd love to see that happen, but it'll be difficult... Also in recent years it seems like people vote for the players they like, not the ones who are playing better. Things should get balanced a bit.
      Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
      Artificial Nature

Comment

All Star? No way, the West is too crowded. Unless the ballots place him as a center instead of PF.

Comment

I'm predicting that he'll put up 18ppg 8rpg 3apg and help lead Houston to a 55 win season alongside Yao.
          "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
          -El Padrino

Comment

Originally posted by alermac View Post
            All Star? No way, the West is too crowded. Unless the ballots place him as a center instead of PF.
            Yeah, there are a lot of good PFs and SFs of the West. Scola is definitely one of the best, though. There's a chance he could get voted in.
            Originally posted by BBallFanJ
            so Scola will likely shoulder more of the load and can even play some spot minutes at center.
            Yes, you're right. Although now that they have Brad Miller and might get Eric Dampier, I'll bet Scola will play SF against some of the bigger teams...maybe not.

Scola is a very productive player. He's super efficient. Very few players get his kind of points so quickly. I'd love to see him take an increased role in Houston.
            "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by NorCal View Post
              I am as big of a fan of Scola as anyone but I just don't see him being an all star this year. Three things are working against him:

1) The other forwards in the West that he would be competing against are Durant, Nowitzki, Gasol, Duncan, Al Jefferson, Zach Randolph, David Lee, Blake Griffin, Kevin Love, Jeff Green. I believe only 5-6 forwards are chosen and Durant, Nowitzki and Gasol are essentially locks unless someone gets injured. So that would mean Scola would have to outplay all but 2-3 of the rest of the guys on the list.

2) Rarely do teams get 2+ all stars unless they are one of the top teams in the league and the Rockets, although they are a good team, probably will only get 1 all star next year. Even if Yao is limited to 24 minutes a game the Rockets will probably rely on Kevin Martin a little more than Scola.

3) Yao gets all of the China votes every year
              great post, i agree!

Comment

Well, Luis Scola had 18 points and 16 rebounds despite the lost of the Houston Rockets to the defending NBA Champions, the Los Angeles Lakers 112-110. Those are All-Star numbers.
                Sacramento Kings
                HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
                  Well, Luis Scola had 18 points and 16 rebounds despite the lost of the Houston Rockets to the defending NBA Champions, the Los Angeles Lakers 112-110. Those are All-Star numbers.
                  Definitely, even more in yesterday's game:

Artificial Nature

Comment

Scola: "My status has grown."
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information