Argentina national team 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARG – Exciting times for Lamas, Argentina

BUENOS AIRES (FIBA Americas Championships) - Julio Lamas is in the business end of his season with Obras Sanitarias in Argentina's Liga Nacional.

He's focused on winning the league title.

Obras qualified directly to the quarter-finals thanks to a strong regular season and will face the winner of the first-round series between La Union and Olimpico.

Lamas does turn his attention turn to the national team often, though.

He was appointed coach of Argentina for the second time several days before Christmas.

"I am in my best professional moment," he said.

"Obras is a project that I'm very much involved in and to coach the national team is the maximum that you can have from a sporting sense.

"I have the maximum enthusiasm for the national team but right now, my focus is on ending the season with Obras.

"Experience helps me not to get anxious, although the days that I'm planning the national team program or watching the NBA, my mind flies to Mar del Plata for a minute."

This summer

Mar del Plata, Argentina, is where the FIBA Americas Championship will be staged from August 30 to September 11.

The sides that reach the Final will earn trips to the London Olympics.

As the host nation, Argentina had a right to choose the timetable.

Hence, Lamas chose to play Paraguay on August 30 and then Uruguay on August 31 before resting and taking on Puerto Rico and Panama on the last two days of the first round.

"The idea was to have a day's break, September 1, which I felt was more convenient," Lamas said.

"I also wanted to have time to see Puerto Rico, who will be a key rival and who will play on the first three consecutive days, and the fourth day against us."

Mar del Plata is buzzing right now with the Olympic qualifying event to be held there.

Argentina Basketball Federation president German Vaccaro recently travelled to the United States to meet with the NBA players and consult them on their wants and needs.

Getting to the Olympics

Being able to host the FIBA Americas Championship is an opportunity that everyone in Argentina treasures, but there is also pressure.

Argentina’s national team players had their proudest moments reaching the Final of the 2002 FIBA World Championship in Indianapolis and winning the gold medal two years later at the Athens Games.

While the FIBA Americas Championship will be the last time the golden generation of players get a chance to play in front of their country’s fans, it also represents an opportunity to get back to the Olympics.

"We know what the venue is and that generates motivation and responsibility," Lamas said in an interview with Clarin.

"We will have to manage expectations but the players have experience and quality to deal with pressure.

"We cannot think we will win the games without playing them.

"We assume the role of candidates but we will have to be on alert until the last minute because there is no margin for error.

"There are only two spots available (for the Olympics).

“Puerto Rico and Brazil will fight against us while Venezuela, Canada, Uruguay and the Dominican Republic will also try to be among the four semi-finalists."

The sides that finish third, fourth and fifth will also be invited to the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

Lamas confirmed in early March that Pablo Prigioni, Man Ginobili, Carlos Delfino, Andres Nocioni, Hernan Jasen, Luis Scola and Leo Gutierrez would be selected for this summer’s squad, barring injuries.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

ARG – Delfino raring to go for Argentina

-FIBA
      Sacramento Kings
      HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Ginobili's a go

Ginobili eager to play for National Team
        Sacramento Kings

Comment

Scola out, Oberto in

Two big news for Argentina in the same day.
          It seems that recovering from Scola's knee injury could take up to 5 months, so he is likely out of the next Americas Championship, while finally Fabricio Oberto confirms that he will play for Argentina NT

http://www.ole.com.ar/basquet/Housto...480552056.html

http://www.ole.com.ar/basquet/Lamas-...480552055.html

Comment

If Scola doesn't play, it might be a good momment to give Leo Mainoldi a chance to play his first "big" international championship with the NT

Comment

Ginobili has been working out and said that he is on schedule to participate on training camp.

At the end of July, Manu Ginobili will join his fellow Argentinians on the national team, which will host and compete in the FIBA Americas tournament (where London Olympic berths will be on the line).
              Sacramento Kings

Comment

Julio Lamas released the list of 15 players who will train since July 29 for the upcoming FIBA americas tournament in Mar del plata. The surprisse of the list is the return of Pepe Sanchez (193-G-77, college: Temple), who had retired of the national team after Wolrd championship 2006. Fabricio Oberto (207-C-75) also returns after his problem with his health.

These are the fifteen players:
                Pablo Prigioni (191-G-77)
                Pepe Sanchez
                Juan Pablo Figueroa (184-G-86)
                Manu Ginobili (198-G-77, agency: Interperformances)
                Carlos Delfino (198-G-82)
                Pancho Jasen (199-G-78)
                Andres Nocioni (199-F-79)
                Paolo Quinteros (186-G-79)
                Leonardo Gutierrez (200-F-78)
                Luis Scola (206-F/C-80)
                Leonardo Mainoldi (204-F-85)
                Federico Kammerichs (203-F/C-80)
                Juan Gutierrez (205-F/C-83)
                Fabricio Oberto (207-C-75)
                Martin Leiva (208-F/C-80)

SOURCE: latinbasket.net

Given the players' ages for the majority of this roster, I imagine this will be the last go around for Argentina's core group of players. I'm kinda surprised at Julio Lamas' decision to continue stocking the team with veteren players instead of adding a few younger players to provide energy off the bench and gain international experience. Ultimately, that may prove to be Argentina's undoing if they don't qualify for London. I can easily see Brazil or Puerto Rico's younger, more athletic squad giving the Argentines problems if they can't control game tempo.

Comment

Does anyone else think putting Oberto in the roster is a bad move? After all the problems he had, he hasn't been competing, he's old, the team's getting old and still no fresh centres. Great player and great personality, but he had his time.
                  Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
                    Does anyone else think putting Oberto in the roster is a bad move? After all the problems he had, he hasn't been competing, he's old, the team's getting old and still no fresh centres. Great player and great personality, but he had his time.
                    Great personality? He is a dirty player!
                    My Youtube channel

Comment

Originally posted by ip84 View Post
                      Flopping you mean? He's not even one of the worst in the NT. Anyway, just a detail, he always showed good character on court, playing for the NT for so much time, staying humble despite going to the NBA, etc.
                      Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by ip84 View Post
                        a dirty player? he is a hustler and he does do the dirty work but that does not mean that he is a dirty player.

he is one of the players with the most heart and team mentality that I have ever since played in a long time.

but I agree with ricaduous, he is too old for that shit, to quote a famous movie by Dan G boy.

and for a team that needs youth badly him takin a spot from a future young talent who could use this experice is not going to help the Argentinians, Argentines.....,mn... Argentineans, or whatever

Originally posted by Federoy View Post
                        Julio Lamas released the list of 15 players who will train since July 29 for the upcoming FIBA americas tournament in Mar del plata. The surprisse of the list is the return of Pepe Sanchez (193-G-77, college: Temple), who had retired of the national team after Wolrd championship 2006. Fabricio Oberto (207-C-75) also returns after his problem with his health.
                        you mean the The Renegade???

oh boy, I would not want to have a guy who knows kung fu as my coach, that Team better execute or else....
                        Last edited by rikhardur; 06-30-2011, 10:50 PM.
                        ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!

Comment

Fun read this

Varejao and Oberto always been considered dirty players by this european fans.

Comment

NBA Players Contract Insurance

The President of Argentina's National Basketball Federation, German Vaccaro stated that Emmanuel Ginobili, Luis Scola, Andres Nocioni and Carlos Delfino's respective player insurances are on schedule and will be completed before the end of July.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

Ginobili, Scola, Delfino and Nocioni are cleared for Mar De Plata after the their respective insurances were completed.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

ARG - Ginobili: I've never been on a team like this

Ginobili said that current national team has unbelievable chemistry.
                                Sacramento Kings

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information