Argentina national team 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argentina national team 2011

Manu Ginóbili confirmed he'll be at the Americas Championship and at the London Olympics if Argentina qualifies.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

-Román González quit the NT citing family reasons, stated that there's a 99% chance of not playing in 2011 or 2012.

-Coach Sergio Hernández says he wants to extend his tenure as NT coach; Federation will decide bewteen him and Julio Lamas.

Comment

Scola confirms to play for the 2011 FIBA Americas Qualifier

In an article from the Associated Press, Houston Rockets Argentine forward Luis Scola has confirmed his participation for next year's FIBA Americas Olympic Qualifiers.

NEW YORK — Luis Scola says he wants to play for Argentina in next summer’s FIBA Americas championship even if there is a lockout.

Scola says playing international tournaments is a great way to stay in shape, so he sees “no reason” not to and would get insurance and play — a risk many players might not take if the NBA is closed for business by a work stoppage.

Argentina is hosting the tournament, a qualifier for the 2012 Olympics. Its generation of stars such as Scola and Manu Ginobili, who led the country to Olympic gold in 2004 and bronze in 2008, was viewing the tournament as a chance to say goodbye to its home fans and earn one last trip to the Olympics.

“I think we deserve it. We played there in 2001, it was the beginning of this whole thing that we have now and I think this could be a great chance to end it,” the Houston forward said before playing the Knicks.

Argentina won the championship as hosts that summer, kicking off its run as an international power. Scola was the MVP of the last two FIBA Americas tournaments, in 2007 and 2009, and was the leading scorer last summer in the world championship.
      Sacramento Kings
      HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

That's Scola
        Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by alermac View Post
          -Coach Sergio Hernández says he wants to extend his tenure as NT coach; Federation will decide bewteen him and Julio Lamas.
          Looks like Hernández is definitely out and Lamas with take over the national team.
          Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
            Looks like Hernández is definitely out and Lamas with take over the national team.
            I'm surprised. I'm really surprised. According to this article, Hernandez was offered the job, but didn't want to commit to a 4 year building project (which probably means they are getting ready for the coming absences of Ginobili, Prigioni, Nocioni, and that generation). I guess Hernandez didn't want to help build a new team?

I know absolutely nothing about Lamas. I guess he's been coaching with Ben Hur. Hernandez was coaching in the Argentine League when he was hired, too, so that's not a problem. And Magnano's experiences were mostly in Argentina, too (but he put in some time in Italy or Spain). Hernandez and Magnano were both extremely successful, so Lamas' lack of "pedigree" shouldn't matter...the question is whether or not he can coach! Any opinions?
            "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

MVblair,

Lamas is one of the most known coaches in South America. He has several titles in continental and national leagues. He had some experiences in the ACB, also.

Argentina will be fine with him. The biggest problem of the 4 years project actually will be what players will left from the gold generation.

Comment

Originally posted by planaria View Post
                Lamas is one of the most known coaches in South America. He has several titles in continental and national leagues. He had some experiences in the ACB, also.
                I guess you're right, Planaria. Hernandez and Magnano did not have a lot of experience outside of South America and they were great, so there is no reason to doubt Lamas.....except, as you said, they are going to start losing their Gold Generation players.
                "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
                  Manu Ginóbili confirmed he'll be at the Americas Championship and at the London Olympics if Argentina qualifies.
                  Just a short re-avowal of his intentions. The information in this article seems to be coming from La Nacio in Buenos Aires.
                  Manu: "I will play with Argentina in the Summer" - Sportando.Net, January 6, 2011

The guard of the San Antonio Spurs, Manu Ginóbili, talked about his intentions to play in the 2011 FIBA Americas Championship, his experiences with coach Lamas and the last performance of the Argentinean national team.

Ginobili averages 19 points, 3.7 rebounds and 4.8 assists per game this season and announced that he will be in Mar del Plata 2011. Last year he didn't participate in the 2010 FIBA World Championship and the time off he took made him have a quick start in the NBA.

"The rest and good preseason by not going to the FIBA World Championship was key in my performance,” said the player to La Nación.

"Even if they select me as an All Star or MVP because I rested in 2010, I will play for the national team," he added.

The return of Julio Lamas brings good memories to Ginobili as he played with the senior team in the 1998 FIBA World Championship, just as his career started to turn.

"In '98 he brought me to the FIBA World Championship when a lot of people thought that I could not make it. I remember those last 10 days with 13 players. When I knew that I made the cut, I swore that I could fly."

About the 2010 FIBA World Championship, where Argentina finished fifth, he said: "My abscense was easy to digest because it was said with five months of anticipation, but what happended to Chapu Nocioni was like a bullet to the neck. With all the effort he put to come back, it was a hard shot to the team. The national team played well. Lost a game that they could have lost against Serbia but fell in the most important game. Lithuania rolled over us. We had bad timing to have the worst game of the tournament. The team rose and beat Russia and Spain that were not easy and finished fifth which is good. After beating Brazil he had a lot of dreams. It hurts not being on top, but the balance is not bad at all."

Ginobili will join players like Andrés Nocioni, Luis Scola, Carlos Delfino, Pablo Prigioni, Fabricio Oberto, among others in the FIBA Americas Championship as they look for one of the two top spots in the 2012 Olympics.

Comment

Ginóbili will likely retire from the NT after the 2012 Olympics.
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

ARG – Jasen: ‘To play at the Olympics would be the maximum’

MADRID (FIBA Americas Championship) – It goes without saying that Hernan ‘Pancho’ Jasen has a cult-like status at his long-time club in Spain, Estudiantes.

The captain, Jasen has been with one of the country’s most famous basketball institutions since the 2001-02 campaign.

Jasen must like playing for outfits called Estudiantes. Back home in Argentina, he was on the books of Estudiantes Bahía Blanca for four years before leaving for Europe.

Last year, Jasen, who had played at the 2005 FIBA Americas Championship, made his debut for Argentina in a major event when he turned out for Sergio Hernandez at the FIBA World Championship in Turkey.

He had no trouble fitting in with the side that at the time held the top spot in the FIBA World Rankings, averaging 5.3 points and 3.8 rebounds.

His biggest contribution came in one of the greatest battles of the summer, maybe one of the best ever to be waged in a World Championship, a last 16 clash with Brazil.

Jasen hit three of his six shots from the arc and scored 15 points in Argentina’s 93-89 victory.

Will he play for Argentina again this year when they host the FIBA Americas Championship in Mar del Plata?

"I would obviously like to,” Jasen said to FIBA.com in Spain.

“To play with my country was a beautiful experience.

“It depends on how I arrive physically, but I would like to repeat it.”

This summer will be different from last if he does play because Julio Lamas has replaced Sergio Hernandez at the helm.

“I know the new coach,” Jasen said.

“I think he has a lot of quality.

“He has already coached the national team and he has a lot of experience.

“I believe he is a capable coach to guide the national team.”

It was obvious for all to see what playing for Argentina and being with his compatriots in Turkey meant to Jasen last summer.

He wore a smile from the time he arrived to the day he left.

Playing for Estu is an incredible experience because of the unwavering support of the fans, and the same can be said of wearing the Argentina shirt.

“It's always important to represent my country,” Jasen said.

“It's a big joy to have the opportunity to wear the national jersey and I hope I will get to do so in the summer.”

Argentina’s most famous moment on the international stage was in 2004, when the Ruben Magnano-coached team won the gold medal at the Athens Olympics.

Mar del Plata is the qualifying event for next year’s London Games.

“My dream would be to play at the Olympics,” Jasen said.

“I've already experienced a World Championship and it was great, but to play at the Olympics would be the maximum.”
                      Artificial Nature

Comment

Don't count out Fabricio Oberto yet
                        Sacramento Kings
                        HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

ARG – Lamas confirms Ginobili, Scola and Nocioni are set to compete in continentals

BUENOS AIRES (FIBA Americas Championship) - The heavyweights will turn out for Argentina this summer when they host the FIBA Americas Championship and attempt to book a spot at the 2012 Olympics in London.

Argentina coach Julio Lamas has confirmed San Antonio Spurs ace Manu Ginobili, Milwaukee Bucks star Carlos Delfino, Philadelphia 76er Andres Nocioni, Houston Rocket Luis Scola, Estudiantes captain Pancho Jasen, Real Madrid point guard Pablo Prigioni and Penarol sharpshooter Leonardo Gutierrez will be in the squad that plays in Mar del Plata.

"These seven players, if available and healthy, will be part of the team for the 2011 FIBA Americas Championship,” Lamas said on the country's basketball federation website.

"Later on, I will complete the list of the pre-selection and announce the agenda in a press conference."

Ginobili, Delfino, Nocioni, Scola and Gutierrez were in the Argentina side that captured a gold medal at the 2004 Olympics in Greece.

By hosting the FIBA Americas Championship, Argentina's basketball fans will get a final opportunity to watch their golden generation play on home soil.

Lamas, who has replaced Sergio Hernandez at the helm of the national side, will be assisted by Gonzalo Garcia.

The two sides that reach the Final will earn a trip to the London Olympics.
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

ARG – Nocioni pleased to be confirmed for Argentina

PHILADELPHIA (FIBA Americas Championship) - Argentina coach Julio Lamas' decision to announce several members of his squad for the FIBA Americas Championship has reassured veteran forward Andres Nocioni about his importance to the national team.

The Philadelphia 76ers forward missed last summer's FIBA World Championship but will play in Mar del Plata if he remains healthy.

"At least it was good news for me that Julio Lamas confirmed me for the Olympic qualifiers," he said.

"While it was something I knew was going to happen, it brought me peace of mind."

Manu Ginobili, Luis Scola, Carlos Delfino, Pablo Prigioni, Leo Gutierrez and Pancho Hasen were also named by Lamas as guaranteed selections.

Nocioni will show up in Argentina with something to prove.

Philadelphia have had a terrific campaign under coach Doug Collins and are currently seventh in the Eastern Conference with 32 wins and 30 defeats but Nocioni hasn’t been getting many minutes.

Nocioni has averaged 6.5 points and 3.5 rebounds in 18.6 minute per game for the Sixers but hasn't played much at all for the past several weeks.

An injury forced him out of the line-up and he lost his place in the rotation.

"I'm going through a difficult time," he admitted.

"The team is playing at a high level and I would like to be part of this time inside the stadium.

"But I cannot complain or protest because it works.

"I do not want to create problems, just play."
                            Artificial Nature

Comment

ARG – Big four geared up to play for Argentina in Mar del Plata

BUENOS ARIES (FIBA Americas Championship) - Argentina Basketball Federation president German Vaccaro has finished a tour of the United States where he visited with national team players.

This is a huge summer for Argentina, the hosts of the FIBA Americas Championship, and Vaccaro is leaving no stone unturned in terms of making sure NBA players Carlos Delfino, Andres Nocioni, Luis Scola and Manu Ginobili are available and ready to play in Mar del Plata.

The two sides that reach the Final of the event will clinch spots in next year’s London Olympics.

"They are enthusiastic and feel a tremendous link to play at the Pre-Olympic and for the organization to be as good as possible,” Vaccaro said.

“The four said they wanted to start a few weeks before the preparation and that they would get in touch with the physical trainer of the national team, Manuel Alvarez, so that he gives them a work routine.

“They want to be ready.”
                              Artificial Nature

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information