• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikola Peković and the Timberwolves

Day 1, training camp: This could be one wild ride

Posted by Jerry Zgoda
    Last update: September 26, 2010 - 9:41 AM

(...)
    Newcomer Nikola Pekovic is one big, strong fella. Not really tall or explosive, but thick, mobile enough and quite possibly a mean streak. Love sounded impressed talking about him after this morning's practice.
    (...)

Nikola Pekovic Made Impression With Size

By Dimitri - Monday, September 27, 2010 - 0:12

Nikola Pekovic has made an impression with his size and strength in the week since he arrived in Minnesota from the Euroleague.

“I like him, he’s a bruiser-type of guy,” forward Kevin Love said. “He’s there to take the charges. He loves to block shots. He’s not the most explosive guy in the world, but he’s one of those guys who you’ll take an elbow to the chin or an elbow to the chest from. So you better watch out.”
    sigpic
    ACB league
    Scola & Ginobili 4 life
    TAU & Lakers supporter
    need4sheed.com

Good team for him. Let's hope Beasley will be injured or stoned all season so Nikola will get more playing time.

Comment

Originally posted by Test View Post
      Good team for him. Let's hope Beasley will be injured or stoned all season so Nikola will get more playing time.
      I didn't know Beasley played center. I thought Darko was the one who had to get injured for Nikola to be able to play

oh well,.. everyday you learn something New

Comment

Wrong section Move this to Montenegro NT. Yeah his blocking department is so great better watch out Dwight Howard

[Thread moved. rikhardur]
        Last edited by rikhardur; 09-27-2010, 11:34 PM.
        UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

Comment

Peković has really impressed. Which is why the likes of Kevin Love would need to earn his starting role, said so by David Kahn.
          Sacramento Kings
          HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Well, Pekovic is doing his best to put Beasley out of action:

Michael Beasley participated fully in practice this morning after he hurt his left shooting hand late in Sunday night's scrimmage.

Beasley played with his hand taped but otherwise didn't seem affected by it.

"Just a little sore," he said. "I honestly don't know what I did to it. I think big Pek (Nikola Pekovic) set a screen on me, but he got everybody so I can't really cry. I still got full range of motion. A little sore, I'll get through it."
            Originally posted by Fedfan
            Most ppl get childish when they lose.
            Originally posted by GuTO
            refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Beasley will play at small forward position.

When talking about Peković, teammates and club's officials, they all talk with huge respect.

Pekovic ready to rumble

The 6-10, 290-pound bruiser should make the Wolves a lot tougher inside.

By JERRY ZGODA, Star Tribune
              Last update: September 28, 2010 - 7:14 AM

MANKATO - As youthful and naive as they might be, these Timberwolves possess enough good sense that they already have reached the same conclusion about new teammate Nikola Pekovic.

"I'm making him my new best friend," Wolves guard Wayne Ellington said. To hear assistant general manager Tony Ronzone tell it, Pekovic's 6-10, 290-pound body is made as much from tungsten carbide as bone and flesh.

And don't forget the no-nonsense haircut and bicep tattoo that displays a sworded warrior standing upon a bed of skulls.

"I don't think nobody has the guts to challenge Pek to a fight, nobody," forward Michael Beasley said. "Pek is 300 pounds, he's 6-10 and he's from Serbia. I don't think nobody wants to challenge him."

Pekovic arrived in Minnesota last week from Montenegro as unknown as anyone on a completely remodeled Timberwolves roster filled with questions.

YouTube clips show a bruising center tethered to the basket during his last two pro seasons played for a Greek team in the Euroleague.

Live and in person, Pekovic -- who the Wolves selected with the second round's first pick in 2008 -- is mobile, huge and perhaps a little less intimidating that he is on video snippets.

At least when he laughs and smiles.

"He wants to make friends with us before he knocks a few teeth out," teammate Kevin Love said. "We're just hoping it's the other team and not us."

Pekovic has landed in the NBA alone at age 24, in a city where teammate Darko Milicic is the only real link between his former life and his new one.

He is here, so far from home, for one simple reason.

"I just want to find out that this is the big show," he said. "This is the dream of every European, and I think most Americans. Every guy who is playing basketball in the world dreams to come and play in the NBA."

Milicic made the move when he was just 18, and has seven disappointing NBA seasons to show for a decision he almost certainly made too soon.
              sigpic
              ACB league
              Scola & Ginobili 4 life
              TAU & Lakers supporter
              need4sheed.com

Comment

I can"t picture Beasley playing at SF , he's not that mobile for sf, his ball handling is poor , he's not that good 3 pt shooter either, also he's undersized for PF position and not the brightest player either on top all of that . He's the classical tweener I dont think he will be very sucessfull player in NBA. Miami made great decision to move him right on the time.
                UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Srle View Post
                  I can"t picture Beasley playing at SF , he's not that mobile for sf, his ball handling is poor , he's not that good 3 pt shooter either, also he's undersized for PF position and not the brightest player either on top all of that . He's the classical tweener I dont think he will be very sucessfull player in NBA. Miami made great decision to move him right on the time.
                  yeah but you forgot to mention that he is playing in a team that basically has no SF, other than the underachiever Webster and an unproved rookie who might turn out to be the second coming of Corey Brewer

Comment

Does anyone else think Peković should start over Darko?
                    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

I can't imagine why Darko starts over anyone. Pekovic needs to keep the fouls under control though, fouled out in less than 14 minutes tonight in another ugly loss.
                      Originally posted by Fedfan
                      Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                      Originally posted by GuTO
                      refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Peković slowly getting the hang of it. Career-high 27 pts (11/14 FG) and 11 rebounds in 25 minutes. Wolves beat the Nets.
                        Artificial Nature

Comment

My Youtube channel

Comment

Another big game for Nikola: team-high 23 points to go along with 10 rebounds and 3 steals. Wolves won.
                            In the last 5 games he averaged 16.4 points and 9.8 rebounds while shooting 66% from the floor.
                            Artificial Nature

Comment

i must admit pekovic surprised me alot. i didn't belive he could be dominate force and more then role player in nba. lat night he was toying with demrcus. hope he can continiue like that
                              Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information