Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WC Players not born in the country they play for

Quote Originally Posted by Luíz for 3 View Post
    Someone said they don't even talk spanish!! Do you consider them legitimate Puerto Ricans?
    In Puerto Rico exist a lot of northamerican that don't know nothing of spanish, but they considered themself puertorricans, so whats the deal?
    Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
    16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
    Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
    8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

and Tajikistan is not a Turkic country,Iranic country. Please read more hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by artorius View Post
    Rather you and your comments are silly.

-i never said any guy from from any Turkic nation can play for Turkey.I say in the modern world every NTs drafts some foreignors.And if the player choose this country then no problem.İf Turkoglu would like the play Azerbaijan or Serbia or Uganda he could play,cause it is his choice and the Drafter country's care on the player.(giving chance,teaching him,giving money to secure,teaching sport better way bla bla)

-Barbosa could play in any NT depends on his choice.Not cause of he is Latin and France is Latin.But He could choose rather Portugese cause of culturally and linguistically more closer to his home country then France.Ilyasova chose Turkey i gues cause Linguistically and Culturally he is closer to Turkey.And Turkish sports manager cared him.But anyway it was his choice he could choose any other country.

Kapisz....Got it..
    Point is been made. Illyasova is an Uzbek who choose to play for Turkey. He has a right to do so, but to whatever linguistic group Uzbekistan belongs is irrelevant. And mentioning it is rather silly. He is still an import. You act as if, him belonging to a Turkic/Altaic nation, is like he's a German Turk playing for Turkey. That would be worth mentioning.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    Point is been made. Illyasova is an Uzbek who choose to play for Turkey. He has a right to do so, but to whatever linguistic group Uzbekistan belongs is irrelevant. And mentioning it is rather silly. He is still an import. You act as if, him belonging to a Turkic/Altaic nation, is like he's a German Turk playing for Turkey. That would be worth mentioning.
    He has a right to do so, but to whatever linguistic group Uzbekistan belongs is irrelevant. And mentioning it is rather silly. He is still an import. You act as if, him belonging to a Turkic/Altaic nation, is like he's a German Turk playing for Turkey. That would be worth mentioning-poor comment.i just gave informational data about Turkic cause somebody commented before Turkic Turkish difference,but u search for sth to attack and criticise.i v told many times he is drafted guy(which means import).Dot a great dot...

Quote Originally Posted by artorius View Post
    -there are millions of non russians having russian surname endings as -ov,-ova,-ev,-eva.
    -Kaimakoglou and Perperoglou i guess they are Anatolian Greek originally.Which culturally affected by Turkish people.As living together for 500 years both nations afected eacht other by culturally and quite similar in many style of cultural habits.
    -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_peoples.Check here and learn sth.I think when somebody says Germanic u just understand Germans,Austrians and swiss Germans.Before making comment get some knowledge please.
    -Ilyasova is a drafted guy for Turkish national team from a Turkic nation(Crimean Tatar or Uzbek).(many of them have surnames with Russian endings cause of last 150-200 years of Russian cultural pressure.He could be black,aborigine or eskimo.We dont live in an Ethnically walled world anymore.
    The original discussion was about Ilyasova's name. Someone said that it sounded.. i don't know... tatar or whatever and I just replied saying that Ilyasova sounds like a Russian name. I am fully aware of the history between Turkey and Greece and do not need a history lesson on that I am also aware of the concept of a Germanic state and indeed in B.C. all of Scandinavia it seems was a Germanic state however that seems to be pretty much ancient history. So saying that lets say a Swede can play for the German NT because at some point in ancient history Sweden was a Germanic state is just plain wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by red7 View Post
    The original discussion was about Ilyasova's name. Someone said that it sounded.. i don't know... tatar or whatever and I just replied saying that Ilyasova sounds like a Russian name. I am fully aware of the history between Turkey and Greece and do not need a history lesson on that I am also aware of the concept of a Germanic state and indeed in B.C. all of Scandinavia it seems was a Germanic state however that seems to be pretty much ancient history. So saying that lets say a Swede can play for the German NT because at some point in ancient history Sweden was a Germanic state is just plain wrong!
    There was never a Germanic state in antiquity. There was a region inhabited by Germanic tribes, and that region was later called Germania by outsiders like Romans.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

History must not be your strongest subject if you think that there was Germanic state B.C. There were a lot of tribes that were named as Germania in general by Romans but there never was a state at that time.

SunOverHStreet

Don't know what they thought when they changed his surname... They made a girl out of him.

If you would really aware of the concept,u should not tell Norwegians are not Germanic.i did not say there was once united germanic state.There are germanic peoples as linguistically and sharing same cultural roots.And u need great history lesson about it.Norwegians,Swedes Germans etc are Germanic people.But differentiated and became nations by theirselves in the history.Every real academical book u can search.

I never said if Ilyasova is from Turkic country then he can play as well for Turkey.I was just giving information about his origin,cause the thread is about legioners of N.Teams..He could play for any NT.But by the care of Turkish Basketball federation and his wishes,he have chosen Turkey.If u dont understand i can repeat again.

Quote Originally Posted by SunOverHStreet View Post
    Don't know what they thought when they changed his surname... They made a girl out of him.
    Ova means in Turkish "plain".so i guess they wanted to change it to sth similar in Turkish.But i guess they were not aware of -ova ending is feminine in Russian and other Slavic languages.By the way judge him by his basketball not for his stupidly organized surname.

Now thread is getting nowhere..ethnicity and geography have been the vocal points here

just to correct some info.

Freije family is well known family in lebanon and specially in zahle.

Anibal Zahle team in div 1 has 2 players from freije family.

matt freije father is an american-lebanese and matt mother is a pure lebanese. (i'm not sure but i think that matt isn't from zahle)

ali mahmoud is a pure lebanese born in canada.

vroman is a naturalized player.
    ASIA 2011 CEDARS ARE COMING

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123