WC Players not born in the country they play for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunOverHStreet View Post
    Don't act like you're surprised, please... Many turkish citizens have Slavic roots, because Turks didn't invented gunpowder or wheel as you wrote, they invented one helluva sport - stealing children from mommy's tit...

And one more thing, Serbs aren't best ballers in the world... It's Durantoglu and the crew.
    Do you know what means irony ?
    Basketball is brotherhood, isn't it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Aster View Post
      Do you know what means irony ?
      You're so cunning, I couldn't spot it...

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
        Supposedly it's originally Ilyasov, which sounds pretty Turkic.
        Correction.. Russian.

Comment

I am a firm believer that when a person has parents from different countries that he can choose which country to play for. Therefore the examples of Calathes, Vougioukas, Schortsianities are not really examples that suite this post. A good example of a foreign player playing for an NT that he has no affiliations to are Holden (playing for Russia), Massey (playing for FYROM). These later examples are what should be avoided as it is diminishing the sport and the concept of playing for one's country. I also think that certain exemptions should exist where for example a person with two parents from Country X but was born and raised (or moved when very young and went to school at) Country Y has the right to play for Country Y. I am half Greek but have lived in Greece my entire life (now in London) and have always had a US passport (only got the dual citizenship when I was 17 yrs old)... should this disallow me from playing for Greece (unlikely maybe in American Football )?

Comment

Santiago, Lee, and Peavy have played in the rican BSN league for some time now, I consider them ricans.

Balkman on the other hand probably never even set foot on the island until the CAC games last summer. Still the federation never even new he had rican ties, Balkman was the one that came to the federation with the birth certificates.

If that doesnt say "I cook with sofrito", someone tell me what does.
            Originally posted by J-Mart
            the land of the free and the home of the brave is the greatest joke I've ever heard. There is no such thing as liberty and the american dream is more overrated than Japeth Aguilar was when u guys found he was a pinoy
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by red7 View Post
              Correction.. Russian.

ilyas is arabic name which is very common in TR.get more cultured,before making some comment.

as far as i know he is Crimean Tatar or Uzbek origin.Both are Turkic nations.(like norwegians and germans are germanic).and every NT drafts guys from other nations.Nowadays ethnic origins are not important for sports.Most important stuff is who is caring him,giving chance,giving opportunities etc.

Comment

Originally posted by artorius View Post
                ilyas is arabic name which is very common in TR.get more cultured,before making some comment.

as far as i know he is Crimean Tatar or Uzbek origin.Both are Turkic nations.(like norwegians and germans are germanic).and every NT drafts guys from other nations.Nowadays ethnic origins are not important for sports.Most important stuff is who is caring him,giving chance,giving opportunities etc.
                Ilyas may be Arabic, however, Ilyasova definitely sounds like a russian name. I am not familiar with his exact origins but what I do know is that the ending is russian. And since when is it that we decisively know where a person is from through his surname? Is Kaimakoglou of Turkish origin? Maybe in your mind all of the Greeks are of Turkish origin as well... Have I missed something? Norway is not a Germanic nation by the way.

Comment

Turkic origin? Sounds a little bit silly. Maybe Illyasova could play for Tajikistan or Turkmenistan, since these countries are also Turkic. Or maybe Turkoglou should play for Azerbaijan. Wait, how about Barbosa play for France, since both Brazil and France are Latin.
                  PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by red7 View Post
                    Ilyas may be Arabic, however, Ilyasova definitely sounds like a russian name. I am not familiar with his exact origins but what I do know is that the ending is russian. And since when is it that we decisively know where a person is from through his surname? Is Kaimakoglou of Turkish origin? Maybe in your mind all of the Greeks are of Turkish origin as well... Have I missed something? Norway is not a Germanic nation by the way.
                    -there are millions of non russians having russian surname endings as -ov,-ova,-ev,-eva.
                    -Kaimakoglou and Perperoglou i guess they are Anatolian Greek originally.Which culturally affected by Turkish people.As living together for 500 years both nations afected eacht other by culturally and quite similar in many style of cultural habits.
                    -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_peoples.Check here and learn sth.I think when somebody says Germanic u just understand Germans,Austrians and swiss Germans.Before making comment get some knowledge please.
                    -Ilyasova is a drafted guy for Turkish national team from a Turkic nation(Crimean Tatar or Uzbek).(many of them have surnames with Russian endings cause of last 150-200 years of Russian cultural pressure.He could be black,aborigine or eskimo.We dont live in an Ethnically walled world anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious View Post
                      Turkic origin? Sounds a little bit silly. Maybe Illyasova could play for Tajikistan or Turkmenistan, since these countries are also Turkic. Or maybe Turkoglou should play for Azerbaijan. Wait, how about Barbosa play for France, since both Brazil and France are Latin.
                      Rather you and your comments are silly.

-i never said any guy from from any Turkic nation can play for Turkey.I say in the modern world every NTs drafts some foreignors.And if the player choose this country then no problem.İf Turkoglu would like the play Azerbaijan or Serbia or Uganda he could play,cause it is his choice and the Drafter country's care on the player.(giving chance,teaching him,giving money to secure,teaching sport better way bla bla)

-Barbosa could play in any NT depends on his choice.Not cause of he is Latin and France is Latin.But He could choose rather Portugese cause of culturally and linguistically more closer to his home country then France.Ilyasova chose Turkey i gues cause Linguistically and Culturally he is closer to Turkey.And Turkish sports manager cared him.But anyway it was his choice he could choose any other country.

Kapisz....Got it..

Comment

Originally posted by Luíz for 3 View Post
                        Someone said they don't even talk spanish!! Do you consider them legitimate Puerto Ricans?
                        In Puerto Rico exist a lot of northamerican that don't know nothing of spanish, but they considered themself puertorricans, so whats the deal?
                        Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
                        16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
                        Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
                        8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

and Tajikistan is not a Turkic country,Iranic country. Please read more hehe.

Comment

Rather you and your comments are silly.

-i never said any guy from from any Turkic nation can play for Turkey.I say in the modern world every NTs drafts some foreignors.And if the player choose this country then no problem.İf Turkoglu would like the play Azerbaijan or Serbia or Uganda he could play,cause it is his choice and the Drafter country's care on the player.(giving chance,teaching him,giving money to secure,teaching sport better way bla bla)

-Barbosa could play in any NT depends on his choice.Not cause of he is Latin and France is Latin.But He could choose rather Portugese cause of culturally and linguistically more closer to his home country then France.Ilyasova chose Turkey i gues cause Linguistically and Culturally he is closer to Turkey.And Turkish sports manager cared him.But anyway it was his choice he could choose any other country.

Kapisz....Got it..
                            Point is been made. Illyasova is an Uzbek who choose to play for Turkey. He has a right to do so, but to whatever linguistic group Uzbekistan belongs is irrelevant. And mentioning it is rather silly. He is still an import. You act as if, him belonging to a Turkic/Altaic nation, is like he's a German Turk playing for Turkey. That would be worth mentioning.
                            PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious View Post
                              Point is been made. Illyasova is an Uzbek who choose to play for Turkey. He has a right to do so, but to whatever linguistic group Uzbekistan belongs is irrelevant. And mentioning it is rather silly. He is still an import. You act as if, him belonging to a Turkic/Altaic nation, is like he's a German Turk playing for Turkey. That would be worth mentioning.
                              He has a right to do so, but to whatever linguistic group Uzbekistan belongs is irrelevant. And mentioning it is rather silly. He is still an import. You act as if, him belonging to a Turkic/Altaic nation, is like he's a German Turk playing for Turkey. That would be worth mentioning-poor comment.i just gave informational data about Turkic cause somebody commented before Turkic Turkish difference,but u search for sth to attack and criticise.i v told many times he is drafted guy(which means import).Dot a great dot...

Comment

-there are millions of non russians having russian surname endings as -ov,-ova,-ev,-eva.
                                -Kaimakoglou and Perperoglou i guess they are Anatolian Greek originally.Which culturally affected by Turkish people.As living together for 500 years both nations afected eacht other by culturally and quite similar in many style of cultural habits.
                                -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_peoples.Check here and learn sth.I think when somebody says Germanic u just understand Germans,Austrians and swiss Germans.Before making comment get some knowledge please.
                                -Ilyasova is a drafted guy for Turkish national team from a Turkic nation(Crimean Tatar or Uzbek).(many of them have surnames with Russian endings cause of last 150-200 years of Russian cultural pressure.He could be black,aborigine or eskimo.We dont live in an Ethnically walled world anymore.
                                The original discussion was about Ilyasova's name. Someone said that it sounded.. i don't know... tatar or whatever and I just replied saying that Ilyasova sounds like a Russian name. I am fully aware of the history between Turkey and Greece and do not need a history lesson on that I am also aware of the concept of a Germanic state and indeed in B.C. all of Scandinavia it seems was a Germanic state however that seems to be pretty much ancient history. So saying that lets say a Swede can play for the German NT because at some point in ancient history Sweden was a Germanic state is just plain wrong!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information