WC Players not born in the country they play for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by red7 View Post
    The original discussion was about Ilyasova's name. Someone said that it sounded.. i don't know... tatar or whatever and I just replied saying that Ilyasova sounds like a Russian name. I am fully aware of the history between Turkey and Greece and do not need a history lesson on that I am also aware of the concept of a Germanic state and indeed in B.C. all of Scandinavia it seems was a Germanic state however that seems to be pretty much ancient history. So saying that lets say a Swede can play for the German NT because at some point in ancient history Sweden was a Germanic state is just plain wrong!
    There was never a Germanic state in antiquity. There was a region inhabited by Germanic tribes, and that region was later called Germania by outsiders like Romans.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

The original discussion was about Ilyasova's name. Someone said that it sounded.. i don't know... tatar or whatever and I just replied saying that Ilyasova sounds like a Russian name. I am fully aware of the history between Turkey and Greece and do not need a history lesson on that I am also aware of the concept of a Germanic state and indeed in B.C. all of Scandinavia it seems was a Germanic state however that seems to be pretty much ancient history. So saying that lets say a Swede can play for the German NT because at some point in ancient history Sweden was a Germanic state is just plain wrong!
      History must not be your strongest subject if you think that there was Germanic state B.C. There were a lot of tribes that were named as Germania in general by Romans but there never was a state at that time.

Comment

Don't know what they thought when they changed his surname... They made a girl out of him.

Comment

If you would really aware of the concept,u should not tell Norwegians are not Germanic.i did not say there was once united germanic state.There are germanic peoples as linguistically and sharing same cultural roots.And u need great history lesson about it.Norwegians,Swedes Germans etc are Germanic people.But differentiated and became nations by theirselves in the history.Every real academical book u can search.

I never said if Ilyasova is from Turkic country then he can play as well for Turkey.I was just giving information about his origin,cause the thread is about legioners of N.Teams..He could play for any NT.But by the care of Turkish Basketball federation and his wishes,he have chosen Turkey.If u dont understand i can repeat again.

Comment

Originally posted by SunOverHStreet View Post
            Don't know what they thought when they changed his surname... They made a girl out of him.
            Ova means in Turkish "plain".so i guess they wanted to change it to sth similar in Turkish.But i guess they were not aware of -ova ending is feminine in Russian and other Slavic languages.By the way judge him by his basketball not for his stupidly organized surname.

Comment

Now thread is getting nowhere..ethnicity and geography have been the vocal points here
              “I think our point guards are small,” “Not to say that our point guards are not good, but I believe that we need bigger point guards.”
              - SBP President Manny V. Pangilinan

Wanted: Philippine version of Jordan's talented backcourt tandem of 6'5" Sam Daghlas & 6'4" Rashem Wright

Comment

just to correct some info.

Freije family is well known family in lebanon and specially in zahle.

Anibal Zahle team in div 1 has 2 players from freije family.

matt freije father is an american-lebanese and matt mother is a pure lebanese. (i'm not sure but i think that matt isn't from zahle)

ali mahmoud is a pure lebanese born in canada.

vroman is a naturalized player.
                ASIA 2011 CEDARS ARE COMING

Comment

Working...
                X

Debug Information