Attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attendance

This has nothing to do with the Serbia-Turkey game today so please lets not talk about it.

This thread is about the attendance at the FIBA World Championships 2010

I honestly think it was a disgrace by Turkey to have such low attendance MINUS the games that Turkey played in. I understand Turkey doesn't really have a basketball tradition and if it was football then the stadiums would be filled like a box of matches but come onnnn.......

The USA-Lithuania semi-final was practically empty. This is not how a FIBA World Championships semi-final game should be treated. The only time the fans actually showed up was when Turkey played. The game today for example was AMAZING atmosphere from the Turks but every other game that Turkey wasn't involved in was a joke.
    Can anyone explain this to me? Is it lack of basketball tradition? Poor advertisement? Expensive tickets? ???
    I don't understand. Especially in Istanbul which is supposed to be the most populated city in the world, no?
    I don't think Turkey should be allowed to host a FIBA tournament again for a very long time because of such poor attendance. It sort of ruins the game. Knockout stages were just as empty as the group stages.
    To be honest, it killed it for me. The only game I actually enjoyed and felt like a real FIBA World Championship match was the Turkey-Serbia match.

Anyhow, that's just my two cents.
    Please post properly and without disrespect towards one another and stay on topic. I DISLIKE trolls.

Why dont you say that the other teams' fans did not go to the matches?
    We supported our team very well and that is our duty.
    So if you blame someone think all factors and point your critics to other teams as well. that is a logical must.

Comment

There are many reasons but most important one is probably economics. However i fully agree that it is a shame most games were played against empty seats.

Turkey still have lots of problems related education and how people react to Sports is unacceptable imo. I hope things will change in future but from an honest view , it is really very hard because many people are highly influenced by religion and they care about religion more then education.

We simply don't have a sport culture at all.

Comment

There is no reason for a country of 60-70 million people to have a thousand fans in a FIBA World Championship game...especially a semi-final.

As for "other teams' fans" not showing up to the tournament in larger numbers....I don't know why but I know that they always do whenever this tournament is hosted in another country. For example, Spain and Argentina had a lot of fans supporting their teams at this world championship but nobody else.

Comment

Originally posted by Mert Gökçeimam View Post
          There are many reasons but most important one is probably economics. However i fully agree that it is a shame most games were played against empty seats.

Turkey still have lots of problems related education and how people react to Sports is unacceptable imo. I hope things will change in future but from an honest view , it is really very hard because many people are highly influenced by religion and they care about religion more then education.

Thank you for your imput.

How expensive were the tickets?

What does religion and education have to do with the attendance at this tournament

As for your last statement, "we swimply don't have a sport culture at all"
          I completely disagree with that. Turkish people have some of the most amazing football fans in the world. Beskistas, Fener, Gala, etc. I really hope this tournament will awaken some of your youth to participate in basketball.
          Had Turkey hosted the FIFA World Championship the stadium would be packed by Turkish fans! There was an abundunt amount of Turkish fans at the 2008 UEFA European Championship. Probably more than any other country except the hosts.

Comment

Mert, I cant beleive such a mistaken comment. You know that it was holly Ramadan during the games and people dont like to go out during Ramadan. Arent you Muslim? You should know that. That is why there was not enough crowd and that is a pity.
            There is nothing to do with economics.
            And why didnt other country's fans come to Turkey to support their teams?
            This is the question you should ask first..

Comment

Originally posted by kizilelma View Post
              Mert, I cant beleive such a mistaken comment. You know that it was holly Ramadan during the games and people dont like to go out during Ramadan. Arent you Muslim? You should know that. That is why there was not enough crowd and that is a pity.
              There is nothing to do with economics.
              And why didnt other country's fans come to Turkey to support their teams?
              This is the question you should ask first..
              From my knowledge, Ramadan only lasts 3 days no?
              This tournament started almost two weeks ago. The attendances have been poor ever since the tip off games in the group stages. Only the Turkey matches were filled up and even then it wasn't really full until the semi-final.

I am not talking down upon Turkey. I am just inquiring as to why this is? You will see the 2011 European Championship in Lithuania will be full every single match. Do you think it has to do with basketball tradition in your country?

Comment

Not a sport culture at all?

Did you see the Turkish fans at Turkey's game today?
                Don't you ever see Turkish football games?

It's Bayram in Turkey right now so I think people just like to spend time with their family and just go to Turkey's game despite of having a day ticket
                + Most people work even on Saturday's and can only make time for Turkey's game..

And people in here aren't highly influenced by religion at all.. At least.. most of em aren't.. You seem like you are tho..
                THE NBA IS FAKE

Comment

Originally posted by UMUT_FB_LAL View Post
                  Not a sport culture at all?

Did you see the Turkish fans at Turkey's game today?
                  Don't you ever see Turkish football games?

It's Bayram in Turkey right now so I think people just like to spend time with their family and just go to Turkey's game despite of having a day ticket
                  + Most people work even on Saturday's and can only make time for Turkey's game..

And people in here aren't highly influenced by religion at all.. At least.. most of em aren't.. You seem like you are tho..
                  None of those replies actually answers my question.

You are only talking about today but what about the rest of the tournament and all of the matches that didn't involve Turkey
                  Ramadan was not the whole tournament.

And I agree on the last part. Religion has nothing to do with attendance.

Comment

Basketball WC has never been an event that fills the stands for most games. Turkey has done as well as anyone.
                    Originally posted by Fedfan
                    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                    Originally posted by GuTO
                    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by DelijaZauvjek View Post
                      From my knowledge, Ramadan only lasts 3 days no?
                      This tournament started almost two weeks ago. The attendances have been poor ever since the tip off games in the group stages. Only the Turkey matches were filled up and even then it wasn't really full until the semi-final.

I am not talking down upon Turkey. I am just inquiring as to why this is? You will see the 2011 European Championship in Lithuania will be full every single match. Do you think it has to do with basketball tradition in your country?
                      Delija,
                      you are wrong.
                      Ramadan lasts 29 days and after that there is Bayram (holiday) for 3 days.
                      So during the whole championship it was holly ramadan and most people are fasting and dont like to go out so often while fasting.

UMUT_FB_LAL,
                      you are living in an other country i guess if you make this comment because people are very influenced by relegion here. I guess you and your family is not so?

So this is the major affect on this tournement.
                      Secondly as I said not a lot of fans of other countries came to Turkey for this tournement and I cant beleive it. Are their economy so bad to travel to Turkey?

Comment

Originally posted by DelijaZauvjek View Post
                        Thank you for your imput.

How expensive were the tickets?

What does religion and education have to do with the attendance at this tournament

As for your last statement, "we swimply don't have a sport culture at all"
                        I completely disagree with that. Turkish people have some of the most amazing football fans in the world. Beskistas, Fener, Gala, etc. I really hope this tournament will awaken some of your youth to participate in basketball.
                        Had Turkey hosted the FIFA World Championship the stadium would be packed by Turkish fans! There was an abundunt amount of Turkish fans at the 2008 UEFA European Championship. Probably more than any other country except the hosts.
                        Trust me football has nothing to do with Sport culture. Yes they look great on Youtube video's but non of any of those supporters exactly know what Sports mean. I am a Fenerbahçe fan and supporter however in reality we really are terrible in sports. Only thing most of Turks only care is winning and then making fun with opposite fans. Nothing else makes them happy. Opinions vary for the score of the game.

Let me give you an example so you can easily understand the situation here.

You possibly know Fenerbahçe Ülker as they are attending Euroleague. Did you ever checked how many fans attend to Fenerbahçe Ülker games in Euroleague ? Way less then today's semi final and Fenerbahçe Ülker has 2 championship in last 3 years and lost one in finals with a doping scandal ( two players were chosen from Efes Pilsen for doping check in 1 game and both of those players had same doping element in their blood ) . In Euroleague Fenerbahçe Ülker qualified to quarter finals 2 years ago and last year we were eliminated very unluckily. However everyone in Turkey claims Fenerbahçe Ülker was very unsuccessful.

Today people are chanting for Tanjeviç and Turkish NT. However just before the tournament Tanjeviç was possibly the most hated coach you could ever find. No one believed in Turkey NT or Tanjeviç. And today they are all heroes because they won.

Another example : Beşiktaş transferred Quaresma and Guti this year. Their fans are so excited because of those transfers but in 3 months Beşiktaş can only sell 8000 official jerseys which is nothing compared to the cost of the transfers.

I am not 100% sure how much tickets were but an average Turkish worker is making less then 1000TL ( 650$ ) per month and they are trying to feed their family , pay bills , rent etc.. Most of them are surviving on huge debts to credit cards and banks. That's why a sports game is the latest thing they want to spend money at.

In Turkey being a team fan only helps people satisfy them self.

We have very long way to achieve a nice Sports culture.

Comment

Originally posted by JGX View Post
                          Basketball WC has never been an event that fills the stands for most games. Turkey has done as well as anyone.
                          FALSE

Look at the statistics my friend. Compare and contrast. This has to be one of the worst organized FIBA World Championships I've ever seen for such a large nation as Turkey who have a very good squad.
                          It's not that they don't have fans but it made them look sort of ignorant. The Turkey matches were filled up very nicely but they ignored all the other games. For what reason I do not know?

Comment

Mert,
                            I cant really beleive you make these mistaken comments.
                            How old are you?

There are millions of millioners in Turkey and you are talking about labors who make $1000 a month?

I really wonder your age.

Comment

Originally posted by kizilelma View Post
                              Mert,
                              I cant really beleive you make these mistaken comments.
                              How old are you?

There are millions of millioners in Turkey and you are talking about labors who make $1000 a month?

I really wonder your age.
                              That was a foolish statement to make.

Most of the general population in any nation is made up of labor workers.

Only 5-10% of every nation's population is filled with millionaires. \

I really question how old you are. I'd guess no more than 16.

Go play with the kids, let the big boys talk.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information