Clash of Continents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clash of Continents

I've read the thread Europe vs Asia and thought, what about other continents? As there are 5 continental zones for qualifications to the WC, these zones can be named "continents" and the continent vs continent results can be seen.
    So I've tried to check all group results and see how does it look like.

Number of teams
    Europe 10
    Americas 5
    Asia 4
    Africa 3
    Oceania 2

Total wins-losses, average score, %wins
    Europe 27-7, 82.6-71.3, 79.4%
    Oceania 6-4, 80.0-69.5, 60.0%
    Americas 12-11, 78.7-72.4, 52.2%
    Africa 3-13, 64.1-80.1, 20.0%
    Asia 3-17, 70.7-82.8, 15.0%

I'd say %wins reflects how strong is average team in each continent.

Does not look good far Asia. But at least they won matchup against Africa 2-1, 73.0-70.0

Although Oceania lost matchup with Europe, but they got better point difference 2-3, 80.4-80.0

Oceania also got better point difference against Americas, 1-1, 71.5-67.5

And, finally, Europe have clear advantage against Americas, but they win much harder than lose, 8-4, 77.6-79.6

In conclusion, such statistics tells that in case if we'll get 8 additional teams to WC to make it total 32, it should be +6 teams to Europe, +1 to Americas and +1 to Oceania.
    Country music, whiskey and OK

Nice numbers.

"In conclusion, such statistics tells that in case if we'll get 8 additional teams to WC to make it total 32, it should be +6 teams to Europe, +1 to Americas and +1 to Oceania."

This is the case where we can not trust statistics to make decisions - we can not add any more Oceania teams, because they got nothing more. I am pretty sure that Vanuatu or Papua and New Guinea game against Serbia or USA would not be so interesting. IMO Americas deserved one more spot. Venezuela, Uruguay or Mexico are pretty nice teams.

Comment

You need to compare the 5th in Asia vs 11th in europe vs 3rd in oceania vs 4th in africa.

And you can see who deserve more spots.IMO Difference between 4th and 5th in asia isnt that big as the difference is in oceania between 2nd and 3rd.

IMO, Europe has 16 ready teams.Africa deserves 3.5, Asia 3.5, Oceania 2.5, North America 3.5 and South America 4.5.

europe 16 for sure
      asia 3 for sure
      africa 3 for sure
      oceania 2 for sure
      north america 3 for sure ( canada, usa, puerto rico)
      south america 4 for sure

thats 30 teams. Then the 4th and 5th from asia, 4th and 5th africa, 3rd in oceania, 4th and 5th from north america and 5th in south america play a mini-tournament of which 2 qualifies to world cup.

Comment

Fair enough:

Europe 14
        Asia + Oceania (playing togheter) 7
        Americas 7
        Africa 4

4 more europeans would be fair, since teams like Polonia, Italy are nice. But after that, it´s not like there are too many forces left in Europe.

And if we have to choise between two equivalents teams like Macedonia and Venezuela, my option would be to globalize the basketball.

Comment

I would definetly give 0.5 seats to continents. Let them battle each other in qualification, and the better team to advance.

Dont forget its 4 year thing. And in 4 years a team that is great can easily turn into garbage and the continent itself as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bury Please View Post
            North America 3.5 and South America 4.5.
            !!!

3 of the top 5 at the FIBA-Americas last year were North America/Caribbean and the US didn't even play.

In any case it would be silly to break up the Americas. With 32 teams I would allocate the spots like this:

Host 1
            Olympic Champion 1
            Europe 14
            Americas 7
            Asia/Oceania 5
            Africa 4

Having a world qualifying tournament for the last spots makes sense for the Olympics but it would be pointless for a 32-team WC since none of the teams participating would be serious contenders anyway. Host and Olympic champ spots should be separate from the continental allocation IMO.
            Originally posted by Fedfan
            Most ppl get childish when they lose.
            Originally posted by GuTO
            refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Just for the record:

Top8 : 5 Europe , 2 America , 1 Africa

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Bounce View Post
                Just for the record:

Top8 : 5 Europe , 2 America , 1 Africa
                Buh? What African team is left?

It's 6 Europe, 2 America.
                Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Its european domination.
                  Apart from Germany, no european team is eliminated by a team from different continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
                    Buh? What African team is left?

It's 6 Europe, 2 America.
                    My bad Somehow I added Angola + Brazil from Top16 to Top8

Comment

Oceania does not even have a third team.
                      It's ok for Aussies and Zealand to be there , but the thirdteam, if there is on, is Fiji islands.
                      Imo Americas+1-2
                      Africa+1
                      Asia+1
                      Europe +4-5
                      the main reason for these numbers is not how well are the currentteams are doing,but how good teams are the future candidates.
                      For instance Israel,Italy have the potentials to make some good appearances in the future.
                      Even in Americas i can't think of some good team not present in this tournament
                      http://youtu.be/dUY7SXnMAHM
                      https://youtu.be/EQp8dsyWTxA
                      https://youtu.be/8STniidh0TI
                      https://youtu.be/I5fKLUWAkmY

Comment

3 European and 1 American team in the semis. It's a good achievement for our continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gytaz View Post
                          3 European and 1 American team in the semis. It's a good achievement for our continent.

I think Europe deserves more seats on performances.

Comment

Originally posted by Bury Please View Post
                            I think Europe deserves more seats on performances.
                            of course, but what can you do Well at least stop those stupid threads on the forum which says "should X continent be given more seats in olympics/WC"

Comment

Originally posted by Gytaz View Post
                              how can any of you do such blank comparson
                              you can NOT compare the any continent, team by team, when Europe has like four times a many teams as any other continent

one team from the Americans and 3 from Europe means that the Americas have been a lot more successful than Europe this far because you have to take into account the chances of each continent in terms of number of countries participating per continent in compassion with the other continents.

Chances per Continent, # of teams over 24 times 100
                              Europe: 10 over 24 = 0.4166667 x 100; so European teams have a 41.7 % of wining this championship
                              The Americas: 5 over 24 = 0.2083 x 100; American teams have a 20.8 %

as a matter of fact, the most successful continent so far have been Oceania.
                              Last edited by Lewis; 09-10-2010, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information