Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA National Team 2012 Olympics

Hi all,

I know we are heading into the funnest part of the W.C. but I thought it would also be fun to see who everyone thinks should be on the U.S. National Team for the 2012 Olympics. Thoughts?

Will USA quit FIBA Americas Championship 2011 again if they win WC 2010? I'd like to watch them playing and FIBA should never allow this kind of decisions from USA Basketball.

Guards
    Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls)
    Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder)
    Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors)
    Tyreke Evans (Sacramento Kings)
    Aaron Brooks (Houston Rockets)
    Rajon Rondo (Boston Celtics)
    Devin Harris (New Jersey Nets)
    Darren Collison (New Orleans Hornets)
    John Wall (Washington Wizards)
    Chris Paul (New Orleans Hornets)
    Deron Williams (Utah Jazz)
    Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat)
    Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers)
    Monta Ellis (Golden State Warriors)

Forwards
    Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder)
    Rudy Gay (Memphis Grizzlies)
    Andre Iguodala (Philadelphia 76’ers)
    LeBron James (Miami Heat)
    Carmelo Anthony (Denver Nuggets)
    Chris Bosh (Miami Heat)
    LaMarcus Aldridge (Portland Trail Blazers)
    Jeff Green (Oklahoma City Thunder)
    Michael Beasley (Miami Heat)
    Derrick Favors (New Jersey Nets)

Centers
    Dwight Howard (Orlando Magic)
    Carlos Boozer (Utah Jazz)
    David Lee (Golden State Warriors)
    Al Jefferson (Minnesota Timberwolves)
    Kendrick Perkins (Boston Celtics)
    Brook Lopez (New Jersey Nets)
    Robin Lopez (Phoenix Suns)
    Kevin Love (Minnesota Timberwolves)
    Amar’e Stoudemire (New York Knicks)
    DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings)

This is my 34 players list, 2 years before the Olympics and obviously some players I picked won't be part of USA preliminary rosters.
    https://twitter.com/LuksKasabian

Comment

Lock-out?

There are more at stake for Team USA on winning the 2010 WC as it guarantees an entry into the 2012 Olympics.

Failure to win on the WC means Team USA would need to secure a berth on the Olympics via competing for a qualification berth on the FIBA Americas 2011 where the situation is much more complicated due to the impending lock-out on the 2011 summer where there is a chance that the players of Team USA will not participate due to work-stoppage.

No participation on the FIBA Americas means no qualification and escalate further to a potential scenario where there will be no Team USA on the Olympic Basketball stage.

I fear for this and I am hoping circumstances will not unravel into a lock-out on summer next year where the NBA and its Player's Association have been meeting and discussing terms but it is looking that they are far from basic agreement over new provisions of the next CBA where even the provisions have yet been made public for information.

On the scenario, the NBDL won't even be able to participate. Maybe a cast of NCAA players like Kyrie Irivng and Harrison Barnes won't even guarantee a qualification berth due to the sheer quality of teams such as Brazil, Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic.

This topic is trending on insidehoops forums, brought it over here to share.
      Sacramento Kings
      HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

But on the lighter side of the news, Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul have expressed interest to play for Team USA again and so far have verbally committed.
        Sacramento Kings

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
          There are more at stake for Team USA on winning the 2010 WC as it guarantees an entry into the 2012 Olympics.

Failure to win on the WC means Team USA would need to secure a berth on the Olympics via competing for a qualification berth on the FIBA Americas 2011 where the situation is much more complicated due to the impending lock-out on the 2011 summer where there is a chance that the players of Team USA will not participate due to work-stoppage.

No participation on the FIBA Americas means no qualification and escalate further to a potential scenario where there will be no Team USA on the Olympic Basketball stage.

I fear for this and I am hoping circumstances will not unravel into a lock-out on summer next year where the NBA and its Player's Association have been meeting and discussing terms but it is looking that they are far from basic agreement over new provisions of the next CBA where even the provisions have yet been made public for information.

On the scenario, the NBDL won't even be able to participate. Maybe a cast of NCAA players like Kyrie Irivng and Harrison Barnes won't even guarantee a qualification berth due to the sheer quality of teams such as Brazil, Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic.

What you are saying is that USA roster could be like in 1998??
          NCAA players would never qualify USA to the Olympics, that's obvious. They can't compete with 20 years old against high professional players!
          https://twitter.com/LuksKasabian

Comment

Well, they managed to do it it 2005 with a rag-tag team led by Kris Lang, Charlie Bell and Tyus Edney
            47-70
            76-58

Comment

Well, they managed to do it it 2005 with a rag-tag team led by Kris Lang, Charlie Bell and Tyus Edney
              We were fortunate to secure a qualifying berth back then. I'm not being a pessimists nor will I be over-confident given that the Team USA pool of players will not be playing on the FIBA Americas 2011.

What you are saying is that USA roster could be like in 1998??
              NCAA players would never qualify USA to the Olympics, that's obvious. They can't compete with 20 years old against high professional players!
              That could be the scenario where if a lock-out ensues and the players of the Team USA pool are not available, we could tap American players playing abroad + NCAA selections this time around. However given the tremendous improvement of the Americas countries, an NCAA+Professionals Abroad will not guarantee an automatic berth, I mean Team USA will be an underdog on the FIBA Americas.
              Sacramento Kings

Comment

Deja vu of 1998? Damn!
                Follow my blogs and tweets. http://dxjayrocksnotes.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/dxjayrock

Road To Rio 2016.

Kwentong Gilas ~ Gilas Serye. LMAO!!!

Comment

We were fortunate to secure a qualifying berth back then. I'm not being a pessimists nor will I be over-confident given that the Team USA pool of players will not be playing on the FIBA Americas 2011.
                  Would a lockout affect to the "international" NBA players or it just applyes to USA basketball? That wasn't that big of a deal in 1998 but it will be now.
                  A team composed by USAmericans playing in Europe is way better than Brazil without Splitter, Varejao, Nene and Barbosa, or Argentina without Ginobili, Scola, Delfino, Nocioni, Oberto....

Comment

Originally posted by mbenga View Post
                    Would a lockout affect to the "international" NBA players or it just applyes to USA basketball? That wasn't that big of a deal in 1998 but it will be now.
                    A team composed by USAmericans playing in Europe is way better than Brazil without Splitter, Varejao, Nene and Barbosa, or Argentina without Ginobili, Scola, Delfino, Nocioni, Oberto....
                    It only applies to the Team USA pool I believe, as most international players have a clause on their NBA contracts from their basketball federations to be able to play when the season is not ongoing; unless the International players are restrained by their team from doing so.
                    Sacramento Kings

Comment

It only applies to the Team USA pool I believe, as most international players have a clause on their NBA contracts from their basketball federations to be able to play when the season is not ongoing; unless the International players are restrained by their team from doing so.

Hopefully this will not affect the USA Basketball in whole.
                      Follow my blogs and tweets. http://dxjayrocksnotes.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/dxjayrock

Road To Rio 2016.

Kwentong Gilas ~ Gilas Serye. LMAO!!!

Comment

I am not too worried over the potential and very real NBA lock out. I am confident that a deal would be reached within time, especially because of this scenario.

------------------------

Here are some guys I would not mind seeing in our roster pool for the future:

Brandon Roy (I really do wish)
                        John Wall
                        Ty Lawson
                        Evan Turner
                        Cole Aldrich
                        Wesley Johnson

I know some are too early to tell but I think they could do well for us in international competition.
                        "...I got the hand that will rock your craddle / cream you like cheese spread you on my bagel..." - Shaq

Comment

Originally posted by bobo81 View Post
                          I am not too worried over the potential and very real NBA lock out. I am confident that a deal would be reached within time, especially because of this scenario.

------------------------

Here are some guys I would not mind seeing in our roster pool for the future:

Brandon Roy (I really do wish)
                          John Wall
                          Ty Lawson
                          Evan Turner
                          Cole Aldrich
                          Wesley Johnson

I know some are too early to tell but I think they could do well for us in international competition.
                          brandon roy obviously, john wall, evan turner remains to be seen, ty lawson?
                          come on man. how about josh smith?
                          Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

I was looking forward for Brandon Roy joining Team USA this summer. But maybe next year. His shooting and offensive capabilities will be an asset for Team USA on the 2-guard spot.
                            Sacramento Kings

Comment

Originally posted by usagre View Post
                              come on man. how about josh smith?
                              Naah...NBA vets said it best. He needs to develop his game more instead of relying on transitional alleyoops and dunks. I am not confident in his shooting nor his passing game. At least the Forwards on our team now have an all-around game.
                              "...I got the hand that will rock your craddle / cream you like cheese spread you on my bagel..." - Shaq

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information