View Poll Results: Should FIBA give a second Olympic Slot to Asia?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    23 45.10%
  • NO

    28 54.90%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 65

Thread: Giving the 2nd Olympic Slot for Asia Now: yes or no?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    106

    Default

    we do all have our opinions.. so. enough said

  2. #22
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    20,393

    Default

    the problem is that asia do not sucks we do not have the luxury like of Australia and New Zealand to have exposure on every world tournamnet and facing world class competition take i.e lebanon I think experience playing higher level killed them
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  3. #23
    Senior Member eindhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,042
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Asking for another slot is too much.. Two is enough.. Asia might be getting better but nowhere near the Americas and Europe.. These two continents deserve majority of the slots..

    FIBA Oceania must be merged with FIBA Asia just like in FIFA, that way we some right to request for more slots for the merged region.. And the qualification phase must be somewhat similar to FIFA.. And just like FIFA, the WC must be the BIGGEST STAGE OF BASKETBALL.. Not the Olympics..

    All of which are my opinion..
    Smart Gilas + PBA + Heart + Unity = BASKETBALL SUPREMACY IN ASIA!

    UST Engineering Football Team member..

    Proud to be a Thomasian @ 400!

    UNITE FOR THE COUNTRY!

    Twitter: @eindhow

  4. #24
    Senior Member donmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ōtautahi, Aotearoa
    Posts
    3,450
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eindhow View Post
    Asking for another slot is too much.. Two is enough.. Asia might be getting better but nowhere near the Americas and Europe.. These two continents deserve majority of the slots..

    FIBA Oceania must be merged with FIBA Asia just like in FIFA, that way we some right to request for more slots for the merged region.. And the qualification phase must be somewhat similar to FIFA.. And just like FIFA, the WC must be the BIGGEST STAGE OF BASKETBALL.. Not the Olympics..

    All of which are my opinion..

    Oceania did not merge with AFC in FIFA... Australia left Oceania and joined AFC..

    Oceania Football Confederation still exist with New Zealand and the Pacific Island countries as members...

    Unlike basketball, Oceania champion doesn't get automatic qualification to the World Cup.. after winning the regional qualifier.. they have to face either the fifth placer from South America or Asia in order to qualify to the World Cup..


  5. #25
    Senior Member eindhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,042
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donmar View Post
    Oceania did not merge with AFC in FIFA... Australia left Oceania and joined AFC..

    Oceania Football Confederation still exist with New Zealand and the Pacific Island countries as members...

    Unlike basketball, Oceania champion doesn't get automatic qualification to the World Cup.. after winning the regional qualifier.. they have to face either the fifth placer from South America or Asia in order to qualify to the World Cup..
    OWWWW... Sorry for that..^^ I knew that.. Just forgot..

    And I know that last paragraph of yours..

    Thanks donmar..
    Smart Gilas + PBA + Heart + Unity = BASKETBALL SUPREMACY IN ASIA!

    UST Engineering Football Team member..

    Proud to be a Thomasian @ 400!

    UNITE FOR THE COUNTRY!

    Twitter: @eindhow

  6. #26
    Senior Member donmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ōtautahi, Aotearoa
    Posts
    3,450
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eindhow View Post
    OWWWW... Sorry for that..^^ I knew that.. Just forgot..

    And I know that last paragraph of yours..

    Thanks donmar..
    No probs..

    A merger of FIBA Asia and FIBA Oceania should be in the near future.. one of FIBA's top bureaucrats (I think its the FIBA President) was an Australian and the leading advocate of the merger...


  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    I'm all for two bids!

    ...if Australia and New Zealand join Asia.
    ^^^^
    This.
    Otherwise, leave it as it is now. If you're good enough earn it in the preolympic tournament.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Luz for 3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    788
    Country: Portugal
    https://twitter.com/LuksKasabian

  9. #29
    Senior Member Dtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    3,324
    Country: United States

    Default


    Well that's just mean.

    If they had been a lowly Division B, or languishing in the bottom of division A I'd agree with FIBA. But they qualified for two straight Eurobaskets before it went to the all inclusive 24 teams.

    They seem to be shifting the goalposts repeatedly with Great Britain, first just needing to be Division A, then needing to qualify for Eurobasket, now it's have a well established plan for the future. Next it will be win a medal
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

    Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,292
    Country: United States

    Default

    This is just absurd. Even if they were at the bottom of Division B they should be allowed to compete. I definitely get the impression that FIBA is looking for excuses not to include them.

    However, our concern is the long-term development of basketball in Great Britain and what the legacy will be for the game once the 2012 Olympics in London are over.
    When has then ever been a criteria for any host team to participate in any Olympic sport, ever?

    Hopefully their women do not get ripped off either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

  11. #31
    Senior Member donmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ōtautahi, Aotearoa
    Posts
    3,450
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    What? I thought the host get automatic qualification... If I am Great Britain, I will exclude basketball from the Olympic Games just to send a message to FIBA


  12. #32
    Senior Member dxjayrock2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bonifacio Global City, Taguig
    Posts
    3,072
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donmar View Post
    What? I thought the host get automatic qualification... If I am Great Britain, I will exclude basketball from the Olympic Games just to send a message to FIBA

    Lol. Just stick to football and rugby?
    Follow my blogs and tweets. http://dxjayrocksnotes.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/dxjayrock


    Road To Rio 2016.

    Kwentong Gilas ~ Gilas Serye. LMAO!!!

  13. #33
    Senior Member donmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ōtautahi, Aotearoa
    Posts
    3,450
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by obama2008 View Post
    Lol. Just stick to football and rugby?
    hehehe


  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samer_1_2 View Post
    Before talking about Olympic, we should eliminate the concept of wild cards in the WC..

    Later you can discuss how many teams each continent deserves

    Im all for eliminating WC wild cards... they sould do a worldwide qualifier... with the remaining 4 spots... a 12 team tourney with the teams that just missed it instead of just granting invitaions...

  15. #35
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default Asia

    Asia ought for getting offered a next card. And if australia and NZ have been merged in asia a 3rd area ought for getting provided.

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    356

    Default

    I dont think Asia should have another spot. Its true about the closing lost of Jordan vs. Australia last year, and China vs. Greece. The rest of the games they played in the tournament, they were not even close to a victory. Lebanon beat Canada, thats good, they also beat France in 2006. Still I dont think Asia should have another spot.

    About the Qualifier global tournament for the Olympics, like the one done for Beijin in 2008, the main reason for this is to have more europeans countries at the olympics.

  17. #37
    Senior Member acklium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    give some slot to asia since a lot of european nts are playing in WC

  18. #38
    Senior Member Mojado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Little Tobago
    Posts
    1,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acklium View Post
    give some slot to asia since a lot of european nts are playing in WC


    Is that your point? I dont see a smilie...must be a joke.

    As long as Asian and African teams aren't advancing in WC and Olympic competitions, there will be no more additional slots for them. Root for China and Iran to win the next time they are playing in global competitions!

    I from Wisconsin!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

    TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

  19. #39
    Senior Member acklium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojado View Post


    Is that your point? I dont see a smilie...must be a joke.

    As long as Asian and African teams aren't advancing in WC and Olympic competitions, there will be no more additional slots for them. Root for China and Iran to win the next time they are playing in global competitions!
    my point here is that for the asian nts to be more competetive..
    they should be playing against the best in world..

    someday the asian nts will catch you..

  20. #40
    Senior Member Mojado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Little Tobago
    Posts
    1,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acklium View Post
    my point here is that for the asian nts to be more competetive..
    they should be playing against the best in world..

    someday the asian nts will catch you..
    You didnt say that in your initial post.
    Also, you can play the best in the world...in friendlies/test games. There is no need for landslide victories at the Olympics for European or Latin American teams against the third or fourth best team from Asia. And no Asian team will gain anything from being routed. Asia gets also enough slots for the WC.
    Simply said: First you beat the other Asian nations, then you can get against the top of the world. Africa could demand otherwise the same thing. I dont see any reason to change the format as it is.

    I from Wisconsin!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

    TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •