Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giving the 2nd Olympic Slot for Asia Now: yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ciscorlie Horford View Post
    And the point is what? While I'm against Asia getting a 2nd berth, Japan has never ever finished in top 4 in any Asian Championship since 1997, much less top 2. So your example is completely irrelevant.

Unless you think Hong Kong beating Guam by 32pts in 2009 proves that Oceania shouldn't get the 2nd berth in Olympics.
    aim low, score high

Comment

The simple fact is Europe and the Americas only get two automatic slots, and Asia has done nothing to demonstrate they are on that level. Perform better the WC's and Olympics, win some additional qualifying tournament games, and then it's worth discussing.
      Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

I don't understand how this is even a serious thread. If they're good enough to deserve more spots they have the opportunity to win them at the qualifying tournament. With Yao retired they can consider themselves lucky that FIBA grants every zone an automatic spot.
        Originally posted by Fedfan
        Most ppl get childish when they lose.
        Originally posted by GuTO
        refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Fiba Asia-Pacific - now that'll be good for basketball here, lifting the level of competition for both sides. Skills wise if Euro and Americas get 2 automatic slots, then 1 for Asia seems fair. But then with only 2 more slots for the qualifying tournament, you can't blame us to hope for more. That's where we are supposed to prove our worth. Friendlies aren't usually played with the best teams, unless probably if it's in preparation for the FIBA zonal championships.

Comment

The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.

Its not about the score, its about how you played the game.
            Last edited by RedMetal; 09-15-2011, 12:56 AM.
            "You don't play against opponents. You play against the game of basketball" Bobby Knight

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
              Those who voted YES must all be Filipinos. Seriously.

Look at 2008; the 2nd Asian team (Iran) went winless. Enough said.

I do agree with the expansion to 16 though.
              and i think this year you Chinese will now also vote "YES" you know what i mean. bye bye powerhouse..
              sigpic
              the Future!

Latest NBA Trades
              NBA Boxscores
              PBA Updates
              PBA D-Leagues development
              Boxing Latest Buzz
              MMA's Head to Head Match up

Comment

Well, if China always qualifies for the Olympics every time, I'm in for giving one more slot for Asia, but we might as well give one more for Africa as well.

I understand where some people came from though.

Europe is the most competitive FIBA zone, where even the 16 seed can beat the 1 seed with regularity.

Americas get two slots because Team USA, even after USA keeps qualifying for every WC and Olympic without going through FIBA Americas.

Africa is capable of upsetting top level teams in the Worlds.

Asides China, there hasn't really been any good Asian team on the world stage. But then again, how is Asia going to compete if it's not exposed to stronger competition?

I get it that only the best deserve to be in the Olympics, but the spirit of the Olympics IMO is in just being able to participate in the biggest stage of them all. If you can win it all here, why not?
                Originally posted by gideon
                Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by HenningOttosen
                  Asian can compete with Europeans.
                  I hope you are kidding here.Let's write below some teams European teams that can win even with a 20P of they play seriously,with all their stars participating.

Spain
                  France
                  Serbia
                  Greece
                  Lithuania
                  Italy
                  Turkey
                  Slovenia
                  Germany
                  Russia
                  Croatia

Even the average Asian teams don't have a single chance against

Latvia
                  Czech Republic
                  Israel
                  Poland
                  Finland
                  Belgium
                  Ukraine etc

Don't try to prove something from this.European continent is the most competitive one,it's not even close with the Asian teams
                  1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

Originally posted by judasmartel View Post
                    Well, if China always qualifies for the Olympics every time, I'm in for giving one more slot for Asia, but we might as well give one more for Africa as well.

I understand where some people came from though.

Europe is the most competitive FIBA zone, where even the 16 seed can beat the 1 seed with regularity.

Americas get two slots because Team USA, even after USA keeps qualifying for every WC and Olympic without going through FIBA Americas.

Africa is capable of upsetting top level teams in the Worlds.

Asides China, there hasn't really been any good Asian team on the world stage. But then again, how is Asia going to compete if it's not exposed to stronger competition?

I get it that only the best deserve to be in the Olympics, but the spirit of the Olympics IMO is in just being able to participate in the biggest stage of them all. If you can win it all here, why not?

And that's why World cup is going to be the major competition since Olympics are about equal participation but the conditions don't allow it.
                    1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

Today's answer is simply: No. (Judging from the results)

I from Wisconsin!
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

Should be just one Asia/Oceania spot.
                        Originally posted by Fedfan
                        Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                        Originally posted by GuTO
                        refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by JGX View Post
                          Should be just one Asia/Oceania spot.
                          That means Australia will qualify every time, NO ASIAN TEAMS IN THE OLYMPICS.

The IOC is simply too adamant to increase the teams to 16, but for now the system ain't broken, it just so happens that Asia is the weakest zone due to lack of quality competition. Adding Australia and New Zealand to form the Asia-Pacific zone is the first step to increasing the competition in the region. Now teams will adjust to the quality of Australia and New Zealand.
                          Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

That means Australia will qualify every time, NO ASIAN TEAMS IN THE OLYMPICS.

The IOC is simply too adamant to increase the teams to 16, but for now the system ain't broken, it just so happens that Asia is the weakest zone due to lack of quality competition. Adding Australia and New Zealand to form the Asia-Pacific zone is the first step to increasing the competition in the region. Now teams will adjust to the quality of Australia and New Zealand.

With the enlargement of the teams I could see 7(4+3 from the OQTs)teams from Europe.Serbia,France,Greece,Lithuania,Spain,Italy, Croatia
                            Australia and New Zealand for Asia.Brazil,Canada and Argentina from America,probably Senegal or Nigeria from Africa+US and Japan as hosts.There will be one group in which won't have a powerhouse as well but some solid teams like Russia/Turkey and Latvia.So yes,it's 90% site from my side than until Asians make some really remarkable success(don't see that happening in a 4 year period) won't have Olympic participation at basketball.Looks fair only because with the chances given to China at 00's they only managed to reach 1/4s and with squads 10 times better than the current squad.If you want the best of the best to be there,that's the most ideal solution.No way China/Nigeria/Venezuela provide more resistance than the likes of Italy/Canada/Greece.It's sad,I can understand how you actually feel now,but we feel the same thing and we actually deserve it much more than these three do.Otherwise adjust basketball like football with the U-23 rule and let equal participation.
                            1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

Originally posted by R1ou View Post
                              -snip-
                              This time, however, the US must participate in the home-and-away qualifying tournaments to make it to the World Cup, then make it to Top 2 Americas WC teams to make it to the Olympics. Only one slot shall be provided to each of Asia and Oceania, so there are still 2 Asian teams in Tokyo, and Australia and New Zealand cannot qualify directly at the same time, only one can qualify directly.

I have said this before, I like our chances at the Olympics this time, as we only have to at least get to Round of 16 in the Worlds and get the best WC ranking by an Asian team to get to the Olympics, unlike before where we have to play to win every single time 'cause only the champs will get in.

But until an Asian team becomes capable of actually beating European and Americas teams on a consistent basis, no more Olympic slots will be given to Asia. I don't see a U23 Olympic basketball because Olympic medals matter more to NBA stars than WC medals, so FIBA got around that by making the WC the ONLY direct qualifier for the Olympics. Besides, the US would probably wreck everybody in U23 basketball.

Comment

I have said this before, I like our chances at the Olympics this time, as we only have to at least get to Round of 16 in the Worlds and get the best WC ranking by an Asian team to get to the Olympics, unlike before where we have to play to win every single time 'cause only the champs will get in.

Don't really know if I could agree in this.If I were Philippines,I'd prefer one hundred times to win the Asian championship rather than competing in a group with Europe's and America's powerhouses and having to make to the next round.Frankly,I don't see again Asian teams advancing to the knockout stage.Everything will be determined if you are able to win against same level teams from Africa and America.I could see the Asians making it to the Olympics just based on their performances at the group stage.
                                1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information