Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New "Mediterranean League"

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzaka View Post
    Banvit instead of Besiktas or Türk Telekom would be better.
    Nope, wouldn't be better.
    You are a Barca fan if I am not mistaking, would you like Barcelona to play in a league without Real Madrid?
    I don't think Fenerbahçe, Galatasaray and Beşiktaş will participate in this league without each other.
    As a Fenerbahçe fan I would say better to play in Turkish league unless Beşiktaş and Galatasaray play in Medirerranean.
    So I'm sure all of Fenerbahçe, Galatasaray and Beşiktaş will be invited to this league.
    If league management won't allow 5 teams from Turkey, Telekom won't be there.
    Anyway for a long time there are rumours that Galatasaray will sign a sponsorship deal with Telekom and team will be named as "Galatasaray Türk Telekom" like "Fenerbahçe Ülker"...
    Republic of FENERBAHÇE

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    Panellinios ??? Paok was the forth candidate.
    Panellinios is in agreement with Vassilakopoulos to join the league. So that makes 4 Greek clubs so far. Olympiacos, Panathinaikos, Aris, and Panellinios. PAOK won't be in the league then unless a 5th place is added for Greece, or unless one of those other clubs drops out.

I don't think it is a coincidence that those 4 Greek clubs have the highest budgets of any of the A1 clubs. PAOK probably simply does not have the money to join in the venture. After all, they are trying to make a competitive league and PAOK would not really help in that. Every year they let half their team go in the second half of the season.

As for Partizan not being allowed into the league, well tell it to Vassilakopoulos because he seems to think he already has an agreement with them. And Partizan would want to make the move because they would get money from a TV contract. And obviously Partizan needs more money than they have now.

Vassilakopoulos tends to claim stuff that later don't happen From what I've been told a while ago he isn't exactly on best relations with either Uleb or Fiba.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Quote Originally Posted by iskoch View Post
    Nope, wouldn't be better.
    You are a Barca fan if I am not mistaking, would you like Barcelona to play in a league without Real Madrid?
    I'm not Barça fan (RM neither), that one is Kwijibo.

I don't think Fenerbahçe, Galatasaray and Beşiktaş will participate in this league without each other.
    As a Fenerbahçe fan I would say better to play in Turkish league unless Beşiktaş and Galatasaray play in Medirerranean.
    So I'm sure all of Fenerbahçe, Galatasaray and Beşiktaş will be invited to this league.
    If league management won't allow 5 teams from Turkey, Telekom won't be there.
    Anyway for a long time there are rumours that Galatasaray will sign a sponsorship deal with Telekom and team will be named as "Galatasaray Türk Telekom" like "Fenerbahçe Ülker"...
    I understand your position, but BJK is not a top team level for a league like this one.
    FIRE THE NEXT ONE!!!
    EŭroKorbo, the useless basketball blog in esperanto.

I'm not Barça fan (RM neither), that one is Kwijibo.

I understand your position, but BJK is not a top team level for a league like this one.
    Fenerbahçe, Beşiktaş and Galatasaray's sponsorship deals expire at the end of season.
    In fact Ülker is the sponsor of all, but they already declared that won't extend sponsorship with Galatasaray and Beşiktaş.
    Fenerbahçe and Ülker will continue and this time I expect much much much bigger budget.
    Officially it was 10M USD last year, now I expect at least 20M USD or more.

2 years ago rumours started that Galatasaray and Telekom will have a sponsorship deal in basketball.
    Because Telekom their shirt sponsor in football and except this pays 100M USD for stadium name for 10 years.
    So, Galatasaray won't have a sponsor in basketball 3 months later, not so hard to to guess what will happen then.

Beşiktaş also can easily find a sponsor and it won't be surprise if they have a deal with Efes Pilsen.
    For a long time there are rumours about it and Beşiktaş president said they would consider it if Efes comes with an offer.
    Therefore Efes Pilsen's owner will be selected as Beşiktaş president anytime he wants but doesn't accept being candidate yet.

Also I wanna say don't think that Banvit or Telekom will make impact to this league like Beşiktaş and Galatasaray will do, because they don't have fans.
    But 40-50 million people support Galatasaray and Beşiktaş, so for popularity of this league in Turkey Beşiktaş and Galatasaray important.
    Even more important than Efes Pilsen...
    Republic of FENERBAHÇE

well, efes and fbü should certainly be there. For the other teams that will attend from Turkey everybody has a different opinion. Through the names that have been mentioned so far, I think Banvit surely deserves to be there. And Beşiktaş shouldn't even be considered as a candidate.

Banvit, with all their effort they have put into basketball so far should be given the chance to join the med.l. They focus on basketball only. They do not seek for success only by spending money on buying star players but try to raise new talents and use a good budget for it. That's imortant. If we consider their current position and performance in TBL, again they deserve it. They are serving bb, they have brought bb to a town which had no bb background. And now they even have some number of fans. Own bb fans they created in a relatively small town (compared to cities of most other TBL teams). That I call as real success.

And about Beşiktaş C.T., well, just imagine a team who spend zillions of euros to buy star football players, but who cannot afford to make payments for their bb players. Iverson's transfer was just to pull some fans to the arena, and to make some money over him. And that $2m is simply worthless compared to the zillions used for football transfers. Things got to the point where bb players went on strike for not receiving their payments. Sounds like a joke. They solved the problem but what they have gone through is nothing but a source of shame for bb. What I believe is that Beşiktaş management simply do not bother bb. Their heads are full of football. And there should be no place for such a team in such a league.

I've got idea for Vassilakopoulos : instead of organizing new league with all logistics burden , why not to organize summer preparation style tournaments with Top tier clubs battling each other?

Let's say 3-4 days events in one city during the season dead-time ( like now till EL play-offs) .

It will produce:

1) precious top-tier practice for clubs who lack it in national leagues ( Pao, Oly, MTA, Siena, ... )

2) public interest & attendance & income

3) huge savings logistics-wise compared to brand new league

Let's say a tourney @ Athens with Pao, Oly, MTA, Siena, Fener, Efes, Olimpija, Partizan.

For example organizing 2 groups : {Pao, MTA, Fener, Partizan }, {Oly, Siena, Efes, Olimpija} will give 5 top tier games : round-robin group stage+ semis + final .

What happened finally with this idea?
    FIRE THE NEXT ONE!!!
    EŭroKorbo, the useless basketball blog in esperanto.

What happened finally with this idea?
    The arab uprising and the economic crisis in Greece happened. No investments.

What's left of the idea?

Just some rumors. Some officials said that there are going to be different zones ( a la Med league) in the whole of Europe in a couple of years. The Europe cup will be cancelled. The Euroleague will remain.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Just get the Turks and Greeks into the NLB league and thats it.. current form of the league is good. No need for additional chemistry like divisions, zones etc.

R.I.P
    After Oly is all but bankroft, and Pao with their own problems, it looks like the the Mediterranean League is a dead body.
    2019/2020:
    PG: Dorsey, Walters, S. Cohen
    SG: Wilbekin, D-Ba, Bryant
    SF:Casspi, Avdija, Zoosman
    PF: Acy, Coloiaro, J. Cohen
    PF: Black, Hunter

Yeah.. i've just read the news about Olympiacos.. in that case just get the Turks in

EFES already wanted to join this season...

Get them, Fener and GS in..

Maccabi, Olimpija, Krka, Partizan, Red Star, Hemofarm, Cibona, Cedevita, Zadar, Široki, Budućnost, GS, Fener, EFES.

It would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cibos View Post
    Yeah.. i've just read the news about Olympiacos.. in that case just get the Turks in

EFES already wanted to join this season...

Get them, Fener and GS in..

Maccabi, Olimpija, Krka, Partizan, Red Star, Hemofarm, Cibona, Cedevita, Zadar, Široki, Budućnost, GS, Fener, EFES.

It would work.
    a league with Hemofarm, Zadar, Široki, Crvena Zvezda hell even Cibona in their current conditions is by no means stronger then a TBL with Banvit, Bešiktaš, Pinar etc.
    and Efes wanted to join simply because of a change in turkis laws when it comes to advertising alcohol..
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Quote Originally Posted by Picek View Post
    a league with Hemofarm, Zadar, Široki, Crvena Zvezda hell even Cibona in their current conditions is by no means stronger then a TBL with Banvit, Bešiktaš, Pinar etc.
    and Efes wanted to join simply because of a change in turkis laws when it comes to advertising alcohol..
    I'm talking about "normal" Zvezda, Cibona and Zadar. This was perfect league setup.. in theory

Those 3 reached their low points this season. They can only go up in next year or two.

In NLB those clubs were bottom 3. In TBL they'd be a lot higher.. even with all their trouble.

I kinda don't think that Fener and EFES have the likes of Maccabi, Olimpija, Partizan etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Cibos View Post
    I'm talking about "normal" Zvezda, Cibona and Zadar. This was perfect league setup.. in theory

Those 3 reached their low points this season. They can only go up in next year or two.

In NLB those clubs were bottom 3. In TBL they'd be a lot higher.. even with all their trouble.

I kinda don't think that Fener and EFES have the likes of Maccabi, Olimpija, Partizan etc..
    I more like the idea of ''joining to NBL'' .It would be fantastic.Mediterrian League seems imposible because of Greece's economic situation and NBL with Maccabi,Efes and Fenerbahçe can be great.I like to watch Yugoslav teams and their young talents.Crvena Zvezda,Cibona,KK Zagreb etc. give good minutes to their prospects and It is better to play with Maccabi,Efes or Fenerbahçe than playing against an avarage team to improve their game levels and of course for our young talents and teams.I support this idea but I didn't hear any voice from our media and teams

Is there a chance of this happening?
    [SIGPIC]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419WJmXXpOL.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345