Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New "Mediterranean League"

I hope that it will happen.
    Not only the Greek League is dead. The Israeli's one, too.

I wish that MTA will leave the Garbage League here and joing the Mediterranean League.
    2019/2020:
    PG: Dorsey, Walters, S. Cohen
    SG: Wilbekin, D-Ba, Bryant
    SF:Casspi, Avdija, Zoosman
    PF: Acy, Coloiaro, J. Cohen
    PF: Black, Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by qiangdade View Post
    I am guessing most of you have heard of the mediterranean league project. here is a an updated detailed article.
    No Italian teams, no French teams. Let's call it 'eastern mediterenean league'

Banned

So the 12 teams to start for the Mediterranean Basketball Association (MBA) will obviously be:

1. Panathinaikos
    2. Olympiacos
    3. Aris
    4. Fenerbahce
    5. Efes
    6. Besiktas
    7. Partizan
    8. Maccabi Tel Aviv
    9. Hapoel Jerusalem
    10. Keravnos
    11. Qhatari champions
    12. Lukoil Academic

That is a much better league than the Spanish ACB League.

SunOverHStreet

This league will never happen... I don't know from where enthusiasm comes from?

I truly don´t understand some people´s lack of vision. The Med League is a great a idea. The only way fans can see high level competitive basketball throughout the year.

The smaller national leagues will become more competitive because the giants will be playing in their own league. Simple as that.

If people in those countries want to see high level basketball, they´ll have to go to a big city. It´s normal.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

I like the idea and I hope it would be a reality. But better an "Eastern Med League" as s-e-e said.

Edit: 12 teams are few...

I've got a question. Isn't there any option for the teams to not skipping the regular season of their leagues? As in Baltic...
    FIRE THE NEXT ONE!!!
    EŭroKorbo, the useless basketball blog in esperanto.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzaka View Post
    I like the idea and I hope it would be a reality. But better an "Eastern Med League" as s-e-e said.

Edit: 12 teams are few...

I've got a question. Isn't there any option for the teams to not skipping the regular season of their leagues? As in Baltic...
    I really don't know how the regulations will be if the organisation would ever come real, but I personally think the contending teams should be totally out of their local leagues. Because this league aims;
    1) to gather top teams of the region to create a higher quality league
    2) to bring competition back to local leagues, those seem to be turkish, greek and israeli leagues.

To be honest I don't think it will be very attractive where bulgarian, cypriot etc teams will be involved (no offending) but no italian or french.

Why would turkish teams want to join?Turkish league is quite competitive nowadays,no?

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post

The smaller national leagues will become more competitive because the giants will be playing in their own league. Simple as that.
    yes, but it will be very week league, getting worse evrey year

trough adriatic league expiriance gap betwenen nlb teams and those in national league is incrising evry year, and not because nlb teams are much better, but because teams from national league are getting worse. that makes national basketball depend on 2-4 clubs. in croatia in last 3 years there was only one lose of nlb team, and that wose broke split, whille loses with 50 points becoming normal fore those in nlb. nlb cose lack of intrest in national league, players in league that play there don't have proper competition so thy develop worse and slower, whille sponsors don't show intrest to invest in clus so avreage players that could be ok in such a league rather go to some other leagues like slovaki, poland, or 2nd french league etc...same situation is in serbia.......now our countries are to small to have strong domestic leagues so one nlb is logic solution and with adding 2nd league things should gett better trough years and base will incrise to 4-8 clubs, from 2-4 wich is ok for small countries like ours.......but i see big problems i big countries like greece or turkey
    Last edited by Levenspiel; 01-15-2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: just edited the quote marks.

and sth else.Pao-Osfp wednesday's game had HUGE ratings,like 1.5 millions viewers.Couldn't believe it when i read it.Euroleague games which are broadcasted by the same station come nowhere near this.Good luck attracting this kind of viewers for a regular season mediterranean league game.

SunOverHStreet

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    I truly don´t understand some people´s lack of vision. The Med League is a great a idea. The only way fans can see high level competitive basketball throughout the year...
    I'm personally for this league, but the problem (the most important one) are dates. When it will be played?
    It means these teams will have to pull out from their parent leagues, 'cause I don't see how they gonna make to play three leagues in the same time. So, ESAKE and BBL (as I see, they are giving the most club here) will have to be asked. And I'm sure they don't like the idea.
    Especially ESAKE, as a member of ULEB, surely can pull some unwanted calls if something doesn't go in their favor. PAO and Olympiakos appreciate Euroleague more than any of these mentioned here, so the question is will they be ready to sacrifice it for project like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by FIBA Europe Basket View Post
    1. Panathinaikos
    2. Olympiacos
    3. Aris
    4. Fenerbahce
    5. Efes
    6. Besiktas
    7. Partizan
    8. Maccabi Tel Aviv
    9. Hapoel Jerusalem
    10. Keravnos
    11. Qhatari champions
    12. Lukoil Academic
    I would love to ask Fiba, how on earth you think that Partizan will play in it?
    'Cause I don't see them abandoning NLB, nor Serbian league...

Quote Originally Posted by SunOverHStreet View Post
    I would love to ask Fiba, how on earth you think that Partizan will play in it?
    'Cause I don't see them abandoning NLB, nor Serbian league...
    It's easy if you can identify the alterior motives of Vassilakopoulos (the master mind behind this project).
    The guy wants to create an axis of old allies,namely the Turkish,Bulgarians,Israelis,Serbs,Cypriots and of course Greeks against the new leadership of FIBA Europe who brushed him aside.
    These allies in turn are very much interested in creating an opposite pole to the westerners currently in charge of FIBA EUROPE and that includes the once mighty in administrative terms Serbs.

Personally i don't see Partizan, or any other team abandoning its parent league.After all Europeans are sensitive on historical matters.
    They'll probably follow the example of the teams currently participating in the Adriatic League.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    Why would turkish teams want to join?Turkish league is quite competitive nowadays,no?
    I don't know if they do. This topic is nothing popular in turkish sports media. But about TBL being competitive, well, I think it's just one step better than the greek league in that meaning. If we make a poll asking the team to get the trophy this year, would there be anyone saying anything besides Efes and Fener. It's just that TBL have more teams which look like challenging these two, beating them sometimes.

Ooops, Efes is on the way to join the challengers, perhaps Fener will be Maccabi of TBL in a few years, who knows.

Yeah,i don't think there is a european league where there are more then 3 clear cut favorites for the title.Competion is all that matters,and judging by the results of the TBL there is plenty there.Greek League has come to a point where each game serves as nothing more than a hard practise for Oly-Pao

Big article on the subject at a leading Israeli economy site that also deals in sport. Google translate is kinda funny as always, but if anybody's interested:
    http://www.calcalist.co.il/sport/art...481462,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldPettybone View Post
    Big article on the subject at a leading Israeli economy site that also deals in sport. Google translate is kinda funny as always, but if anybody's interested:
    http://www.calcalist.co.il/sport/art...481462,00.html
    Very good article.
    The auther is Yaron Arbel, who has a blog in the official Euroleague site every week.
    2019/2020:
    PG: Dorsey, Walters, S. Cohen
    SG: Wilbekin, D-Ba, Bryant
    SF:Casspi, Avdija, Zoosman
    PF: Acy, Coloiaro, J. Cohen
    PF: Black, Hunter

I don't want to involve politics in this thread but from what I see it definitely plays a big role....
    At the current moment I don't believe this tournament will take place mainly because I can't imagine seeing the Israeli and Turkish teams playing against each other at their home courts... (The Bnei Hasharon game directly comes to mind)

Also.... Qatar is a Gulf State and does not border the Mediterranean and the only reason they probably won't mind this is because they have the best relations with Israel (if compared to the other Arab Mediterranean countries (Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco and Libya...)

Having the Lebanese and Egyptian bball champions playing in this league would definitely have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid80 View Post
    I don't want to involve politics in this thread but from what I see it definitely plays a big role....
    At the current moment I don't believe this tournament will take place mainly because I can't imagine seeing the Israeli and Turkish teams playing against each other at their home courts... (The Bnei Hasharon game directly comes to mind)

Also.... Qatar is a Gulf State and does not border the Mediterranean and the only reason they probably won't mind this is because they have the best relations with Israel (if compared to the other Arab Mediterranean countries (Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco and Libya...)

Having the Lebanese and Egyptian bball champions playing in this league would definitely have been nice.
    in worst case the game will be played in neutral country like cyprus.
    by the way how strong is the level of bball in lebanon and the arabic leagues? their top teams can be competitive in the
    Mediterranean league.?

Quote Originally Posted by cscarlos View Post
    in worst case the game will be played in neutral country like cyprus.
    by the way how strong is the level of bball in lebanon and the arabic leagues? their top teams can be competitive in the
    Mediterranean league.?
    Low level. I don't think they would be very competitive... I saw UAE some kind of final where Al Wasl played against other teams which name I can't remember...level was very low, IMO, even worst LKL teams play better. I don't know if Lebanon and other countries are better (I think they are) but difference shouldn't be that high.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sagenas View Post
    Low level. I don't think they would be very competitive... I saw UAE some kind of final where Al Wasl played against other teams which name I can't remember...level was very low, IMO, even worst LKL teams play better. I don't know if Lebanon and other countries are better (I think they are) but difference shouldn't be that high.
    Qatari clubs are looking to start signing NBA players (especially during the NBA lockout). Just like they have been recently signing European football players. The clubs from Qatar have loads of money to spend on NBA players if they are allowed in the new Mediterranean League.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast