X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/8: Spain vs. Serbia Montenegro, 20:00

Fiba World Championships of Basketball:
    Round of 16: August 26, 20:00 local time
    Teams: Spain (5-0) vs. Serbia & Montenegro (2-3)

Spain vs Serbia & Montenegro from Fiba.com (link)
    SAITAMA (FIBA World Championship) - Serbia & Montenegro will have a tough task of defending their title if their recent history against Spain is anything to go by.

Pepu Hernandez's men have beaten the defending champions in the past four international and continental competitions, with the most recent win coming in the group stages of last year's Eurobasket.

But Pau Gasol won't be underestimating a side which has gone from strength to strength in the group stages, despite their lack of experience in international competitions.

"They are the defending champions but not the same team they were four years ago. However they are a much tougher team than we expected to play after finishing first in our group," he said.

And the Spanish center was keen to stress that the recent record against Dragan Sakota's side didn't mean anything at this stage of the tournament.

"We have been very successful against them but it doesn't matter. From now on we just have to win every game and they're all going to be tough."

Igor Radocevic - Serbia & Montenegro's sole player left from the team that triumphed in Indianapolis in 2002 - is confident the Eastern European nation can carry over some momentum from their encouraging performances in the group stages which included a four-point loss to Olympic champions Argentina.

"This is a very young team which has really improved over the last five games and is short of just two or three players to be among the best teams in Europe or the world."

And Dragan Sakota's men will be short of a key player as forward Ognjen Askrabic is sure to miss out because of an ankle injury sustained against Argentina.

Swingman Branko Jorovic - who played sparingly against Argentina - will be included in the team despite being described as only "30 per cent fit" by Rakocevic.

Overall, Serbia & Montenegro lead the series against Spain, having won 22 of 29 games, but they have not beaten them in a competitive situation in four years and lost two friendlies to Hernandez's men in their preparation for the tournament.

"This will be a very tough game for us because Spain are a great team. It's not just Gasol and (Juan Carlos) Navarro. They have great quality with Jorge Garbajosa, Jose Manuel Calderon and on the bench too."
    Last edited by stuart; 08-26-2006, 02:46 AM.
    http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
    http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
    http://www.interbasket.net

Super psyched! I think this will be a great game
    Unicajism (or Unicajian Performance Fluctuation Syndrome: UPFS) in all its glory

Comment

12:55 live ond DSF channel

Comment

May the better team win...This will be my chance to watch Spain for the first time this WBC.
        "...I got the hand that will rock your craddle / cream you like cheese spread you on my bagel..." - Shaq

Comment

Can't wait to see this game!

Comment

I think the game itself will be pretty uninteresting, unless Serbians get pissed off because of their achievements so far and get that nasty attitude of theirs- that's how their stars got borned- erupting because being considered as an underdogs...
            anyway I still believe Spain is too strong for them right now...
            Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
            That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Is there anywhere I can watch this game online? Can I have the specific link?

RTR maybe again?
              The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

Comment

Damn, Felipe Reyes ain't playing!
                Worldwide Poll

Comment

TO Serbia

Serbia 2- Spain 9
                  Worldwide Poll

Comment

End of 1st quarter Spain 20 - 10 Scg.
                    ARIS THESSALONIKI - SEMPER FIDELIS

Comment

Calderon best Guard of WC so far.
                      "It's not about four guys working to get one player open and give the ball to him."- Ettore Messina

Sanchez, Ginobili, Basile, Kukoc, Sabonis

Comment

Looks like an (another) easy win for Spain with Serbia out only Turkey remains of the wild cards. Ironic that we got the most critisizm for getting one.
                        ________
                        MAGIC FLIGHT LAUNCH BOX
                        Last edited by Spike; 04-15-2011, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Rakocevic is killing his team in every way he could!
                          5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Darko looks good, Magic will have good frontcourt.

Comment

Halftime. Spain 43 - 31 Scg.
                              ARIS THESSALONIKI - SEMPER FIDELIS

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information