No announcement yet.

Philippine Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Former English Premier League Coach is the new coach of the Philippine Football Team

So what do you Filipinos think of this?

BULPIN, THE NEW COACH OF THE PHILIPPINES

ASEANfootball.org

MANILA (22 Feb 2010) – In a bid to make the cut for the main draw of the Asean Football Championship 2010, the Philippines Football Federation (PFF) have confirmed former Tottenham Hotspur manager Des Bulpin as their new head coach.

In spite of their array of foreign-based players, Philippines failed to make the cut for the last championship in 2008 after finishing third in the five-team qualifier which was held in Cambodia.

This year’s Asean Football Championship qualifying round has been scheduled for October.

Bulpin, who also had stint with Queens Park Rangers, Leicester and Stockport, has been handed an initial one-year deal.

“It’s a massive challenge, but we have to get on with it," Bulpin was quoted as saying.

“We have to organize the team that pressures other teams, plays a high tempo and moves the ball quickly.”

Bulpin had also been with the Uzbekistan national team previously.
    I'm a football fan and a huge supporter of the game in the Philippines, where I was born.

I'm very happy to see that the Football Federation was able to secure the services of an experienced foreign coach.

Hopefully, he'll be able to turn around the fortunes of the national team and help them do well in the next FIFA Asian Football Qualifiers.
    "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
    -El Padrino

Comment

this is a good start. with a foreign coach we might be able to improve the status of football here.
      BUT, the PFF has no grassroots program, NO professional league(maybe there is, and if there is, it's not known) and no known programs.

Last May 2008 I watched them play, the AFC qualifiers were held in Iloilo. They were grouped with Tajikistan, Brunei and Bhutan.
      I watched the 1st game against Brunei. If it wasn't for the idiot weather, the team with Chad gould, Neil Ethridge and the Younghusband brothers would've won 6-0. Pitch in Iloilo sports complex was terrible. the field was flooded with rainwater because of the typhoon. They won 1-0. Courtesy of Chieffy Caligdong from Barotac Nuevo(my home province and football capital of the Philippines).

the 2nd game was against former AFC champs Tajikistan. Man their players were tall! Fan girls were yelling all over because of number 22. It was a thriller even if the game ended in a scoreless tie. During half time, there was a fight. I couldn't remember the Pinoy who started it. Also, FIFA donated P500,000 for football development. Sucks to have a BAP-like football federation at that time.

the 3rd game was at Barotac nuevo football field(not stadium) against Bhutan. i was actually seated behind one of the goal posts. an own goal, Chad Gould's header and younghusband's lob won it for us 3-0. Since then i haven't heard from them.

The appointment of an English coach is a good move by the PFF. I'm following them from now on. Thanks for the heads-up

Comment

Originally posted by kaiziken_pinas View Post
        Barotac Nuevo(my home province and football capital of the Philippines).
        Off topic: Isn't Paulino Alcantara also from Barotac Nuevo?

On topic: The Philippine Football Federation has no hand in this. Here's what Quinito Henson mentioned in his article:
        Bulpin’s sponsors Dan Palami and Henry Tsai, two sports-loving businessmen, are giving the Briton a free hand to manage the team. The benefactors are footing the bill for Bulpin without Philippine Football Federation assistance and that’s why they’re insisting on no interference whatsoever from the local governing body, insulating the coach from politics to do his thing.

Comment

Originally posted by c_d View Post
          Off topic: Isn't Paulino Alcantara also from Barotac Nuevo?

On topic: The Philippine Football Federation has no hand in this. Here's what Quinito Henson mentioned in his article:
          yup! got that right! he was the highest goal scorer for Barcelona! and he's a FILIPINO!(partly meztizo)

So it wasn't the PFF that appointed him? These businessmen are paying Bulpin to do his thing without supervision of the PFF?
          Without these businessmen, we'd have another pinoy coach?

I've read the article wholly, and damn. No wonder where that P500 thousand donated by FIFA went to.
          We really do need a new Football federation. How about the SFP? haha...
          long shot though. If only we have a proper program... we'd do well internationally.

Comment

We really do need a new Football federation. How about the SFP? haha...
            long shot though. If only we have a proper program... we'd do well internationally.
            Either reform the current one or form a new one. If there's an organization that might be willing to reform football in this country, it might be the football alliance. The United Football League is a step towards the right direction but we need a revival of grassroots programs like Coke Go-For-Goal age group competitions.

Bleachers' Brew has a good feature on the current state of Philippine football. (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4)
            Last edited by c_d; 02-26-2010, 03:48 PM.

Comment

good move!!!

but first of all.., for me,.. the real solution is for the filipinos to determine and to love the game itself... hmm,.well,.. football had advanced a lot in the past 10 years... youngsters began playing football...., but that was not just enough.. enlarging the football market in the philippines shall be a good move,.. but,... there must be some good investor to do so..since the govt had a very scarce resource to spend for this...,

also,..the corruption in the federation must be stopped,...., it is noted that Philippines' star player PHIL YOUNGHUSBAND, chosen to be a commercial model and quited on the national team because of that such poor handling.

I hope that Filipinos will be more aware about this beautiful sport like basketball..., I am a wing striker in our school,... and in our school., football was quite a big thing like basketball,..I hope that it will be the same in the whole country. haha.. lets pray.
              AKO ANG SIMULA!!! BABANGON ANG PILIPINAS!!!

Comment

Last May 2008 I watched them play, the AFC qualifiers were held in Iloilo. They were grouped with Tajikistan, Brunei and Bhutan.
                Were these qualifiers for the 2014 World Cup Qualifiers or the 2011 Asian Cup?

Originally posted by kentpaul View Post

also,..the corruption in the federation must be stopped,...., it is noted that Philippines' star player PHIL YOUNGHUSBAND, chosen to be a commercial model and quited on the national team because of that such poor handling.

Why the hell does this have to happen?

That's sucks! A former Chelsea FC reserve player decides to become a model rather than a footballer because of the federation. That's so unfortunate because he was the one of the hopes for football in the Philippines
                -El Padrino

Comment

A start of new things to come in Philippine Football.. Hopefully politics would be out and let the beautiful game show itself in the Philippines.. I have dreamed of my country to have a decent national football team.. Something worth following..

Now that we also have a pro league for football, the United Football League, the future of Filipino Football is bright..

First target should be in SEA where it is already competitive.. Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore and the likes are way ahead of us in football.. Hope we can catch up with them..

Having to play football myself, I personally know that the Phils is not bad in the sport..
                  Philippines is in National Team transition mode.

Comment

good move!!!

but first of all.., for me,.. the real solution is for the filipinos to determine and to love the game itself... hmm,.well,.. football had advanced a lot in the past 10 years... youngsters began playing football...., but that was not just enough.. enlarging the football market in the philippines shall be a good move,.. but,... there must be some good investor to do so..since the govt had a very scarce resource to spend for this...,

I hope that Filipinos will be more aware about this beautiful sport like basketball..., I am a wing striker in our school,... and in our school., football was quite a big thing like basketball,..I hope that it will be the same in the whole country. haha.. lets pray.
                    Your right about the development on the love of the game.. The people I know find football BORING because they got used to basketball where scoring happens in seconds, not minutes.. Filipinos would flock the gym to see a basketball game but would walk away from the field when there is a great game of football..

I read somewhere that Phil just got recalled by the Phil NT..

Comment

Originally posted by Saskibaloia View Post

Why the hell does this have to happen?

That's sucks! A former Chelsea FC reserve player decides to become a model rather than a footballer because of the federation. That's so unfortunate
                      because he was the one of the hopes for football in the Philippines.
                      Saski, the answer to your question is in the link I posted above (part 2). Let's just say that Jose Mari Martinez is the Graham Lim of the PFF.
                      Then there are the Younghusbands who have gone on record to say that they refuse to play anymore for the team as long as Martinez is PFF President. Joyce Ramirez who represents the Fil-British brothers said that this stemmed over unfulfilled promises over expenses incurred during their last national stint. Said Ramirez, “He (Martinez) told us to pay first for our own airfare and other expenses after which he would reimburse us after. When we tried to hold him to his commitment, he said he made no such promises.”

Comment

Originally posted by c_d View Post
                        Saski, the answer to your question is in the link I posted above (part 2). Let's just say that Jose Mari Martinez is the Graham Lim of the PFF.
                        Integrity and honesty is so vital for any organisation and for Martinez to do that to the star players is a suicide to the Federation.

In terms of the sport's potential growth in the Philippines, one strategy that the federation can use is to try and first promote futsal (indoor football) because from my experience in the Philippines, there's PLENTY of basketball gymnasiums and indoor stadiums. It is very easy to turn that gymnasium or indoor stadium into a indoor football court. But more importantly, it is an easier adjustment for a basketball player to play futsal in terms of speed of the game because the court is that same. In addition, basketball fans who enjoy a fast paced sport would definitely love the speed of futsal. I'm still a basketball player and fan but after having lived in South America (Uruguay), I have fallen in love also with football and I love playing futsal as much as basketball. I believe the size of the futsal court allowed me to make an easier adjustment rather than the wide spaces of a outdoor football field.

It is a true that futsal is a more technical version of football and is considered more difficult to play BUT as any South American would say, "cuando juegas futbol de sala, puedes a jugar futbol pasto" (when you can play indoor football, you can play outdoof football). Thus, when the outdoor game grows then it would be easier for the futsal enthusiasts to play football after having played the indoor version.

Originally posted by eindhow View Post
                        First target should be in SEA where it is already competitive.. Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore and the likes are way ahead of us in football.. Hope we can catch up with them..
                        You're right that Philippines should first take the small steps and have the goal of doing well first in South East Asia. Though "The Big 4" of South East Asia may not be as good as the likes of Japan, South Korea, Australia or the Middle East, these 4 nations have always played against the "Big Guns" of Asia, thus, through their experience and skill level, Philippines can obtain a lot of good from them. In addition, in club level all of these countries have clubs playing in the Asian Champions League or the second tier competition.

Hopefully, the ASEAN football federation can introduce an ASEAN club football tournament, which will allow the Filipinos to play against other ASEAN football clubs that play regularly (on a yearly basis) against the "Big Guns" of Asia.
                        Last edited by Saskibaloia; 02-27-2010, 01:00 AM.
                        -El Padrino

Comment

Originally posted by Saskibaloia View Post
                          Were these qualifiers for the 2014 World Cup Qualifiers or the 2011 Asian Cup?

I have no idea. It's the FIFA tourney for lower ranked teams

Comment

sad but true... martinez is indeed Philippine football's version of graham lim... he's been leeching for quite a while now... many have been protesting... yet still no actions done... oh well.... a lot of talent gone to waste... but getting bulpin sure brings a flicker of hope... the azkals got a draw from the highly-ranked chinese-taipei weeks ago... thats a good thing to start out with... go azkals...

Comment

Originally posted by eindhow View Post

I read somewhere that Phil just got recalled by the Phil NT..
                              who thought of miracles??? i still hope for this one matter,.. hmm,.. the Younghusbands specially Phil is really a big help for the Philippine Football Team's pace, offence and explosiveness,....

about the team itself: I think, the new coach should work on the CONDITIONING, COMPOSURE, CONFIDENCE.. those 3 C's are vital for us in able to compete in ASEAN level,...then if we want to compete in the Asian Level,... we learn DEFENCE, DESIRE, be DANGEROUS on the Strikings,..because I see those thing lackings in the National Team,......

GOOD LUCK......
                              AKO ANG SIMULA!!! BABANGON ANG PILIPINAS!!!

Comment

who thought of miracles??? i still hope for this one matter,.. hmm,.. the Younghusbands specially Phil is really a big help for the Philippine Football Team's pace, offence and explosiveness,....

about the team itself: I think, the new coach should work on the CONDITIONING, COMPOSURE, CONFIDENCE.. those 3 C's are vital for us in able to compete in ASEAN level,...then if we want to compete in the Asian Level,... we learn DEFENCE, DESIRE, be DANGEROUS on the Strikings,..because I see those thing lackings in the National Team,......

GOOD LUCK......
                                They just pursued the modeling thing because of the rubbish events in the PFF.. But these boys can play I tell you.. They played with the UST Football team around last month and all I can say is wow.. They are really good.. Quality of skill is way ahead of the best in the Phils..

Filipinos have to improve a lot in their play.. Like, learning how to receive the ball first time and not letting it bounce or something first.. And also the basic back pass.. I noticed from the previous NTs that when they look to push forward, they don't turn back and pass the ball for more options.. Even if the defense is there, they will still push the ball..

We have good players.. A lot of them especially in the provinces..

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information