FC Bayern München launching an ambitious basketball project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bsgermany View Post
    ...of course only if you don't count clubs like Real Madrid, Barca, Galatarasay, PAOK etc. etc. etc as soccer clubs.
    ...Panathinaikos, Olympiakos....

but no one of the mentioned soccer clubs shares (to my knowledge) his funds with the corresponding basketball team. The basketball section has its own funding which is completly independent.

To build the complete basketball infrastructure starting from scratch and to reach and keep a level where you can compete on european level consumes a considerable amount of funds. Funds that would be missing for the soccer section.

These artificial and ambitious basketball projects make completly no sense. Succesful basketball teams in Germany have another (more modest) approach. Most of them are located in rather small or medium sized cities without strong soccer team. They invested a lot of time to build a solid fanbase and somekind of public basketball tradition. As a result they got solvent sponsors interested in longterm investments.

The big exception is ALBA Berlin. However, ALBA is now 20 years on the market and has gained a very good infrastracture and a strong fanbase. But still cannot compete on european level. Why should Bayern München be more successful?
    Last edited by fasoulaki; 08-17-2010, 03:16 PM.
    You live with the Freak you die with the Freak!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fasoulaki View Post
      but no one of the mentioned soccer clubs shares (to my knowledge) his funds with the corresponding basketball team. The basketball section has its own funding which is completly independent.
      afaik Real Madrid and Barca Basketball sections are mainly sponsored by the football sections. Whereas Hoeness has strengthened that this in München will only be the case in the first season. Later they will have to find their own funding.

However, ALBA is now 20 years on the market and has gained a very good infrastracture and a strong fanbase. But still can not compete on a european level
      2009-10: 2nd in Eurocup
      2008-09: Euroleague Top 16

Comment

Originally posted by Booker-T View Post
        Whereas Hoeness has strengthened that this in München will only be the case in the first season. Later they will have to find their own funding.
        In the first place, the decision to launch an ambitious basketball project was backed up by 75% of the clubs' members.

Giving the huge popularity and success of the brand FC Bayern, they should be able to find enough sponsors, I think. The media attention was huge for a basketball topic. Talk of the summer.
        Only Boris can judge me.

Comment

Originally posted by Booker-T View Post
          2009-10: 2nd in Eurocup
          2008-09: Euroleague Top 16
          Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

We will see how things develop! However I am very sceptical due to the experience with the basketball team in Cologne, Leverkusen, Duesseldorf ...
          You live with the Freak you die with the Freak!!!

Comment

Great success for the "project"* so far. 15-1 at the top of the league (2nd is 12-2), a 21 February home game against Würzburg at 20 February to be held in front of 8,000 fans at the Olympiahalle and 5,000 tickets that were issued at 12.12 were already sold in a Week! The visitor team in the only one to defeat the Bavarians this season.

*Hate that word when it used specificity in that way ans sense, as in to describe a Sleeper sport club who tries to get to the top. Had enough of it here with Hapoel TA and Maccabi Haifa..

Comment

They can become German's powerhouse in common seasons but I don't think that they can become as good as Barca, Olympiacos, Panathinaikos and other ball teams which are mentioned here. The biggest reason of that - there aren't very much German local players whho could succesfully play in Euroleague level. For example, Spain has many good local players so teams like Real, Barca.
              I'm on twitter

Comment

Originally posted by sagenas View Post
                They can become German's powerhouse in common seasons but I don't think that they can become as good as Barca, Olympiacos, Panathinaikos and other ball teams which are mentioned here. The biggest reason of that - there aren't very much German local players whho could succesfully play in Euroleague level. For example, Spain has many good local players so teams like Real, Barca.
                Why is that? There're no foreigners limits in EL you know and quite open system in Germany (7 or 8 foreigners allowed with no difference are they from EU or US), so you can build a decent team with that

Comment

There are a lot of young german talented players that could supplement top level foreigners. Robin Benzing, Tibor Pleiss, Tim Ohlbrecht, Luca Staiger, Elias Harris to name a few.
                  sigpic

The basketball shop.

https://www.interbasket.net/forums/s...-Obradovic-Era

Comment

Tell me, what are limits of foreign players in Bundesliga? Imo, any team needs good local players if they want to reach something...of course, they could make smth like Macabbi made. However, I don't believe that they could reach that level like Barca and teams like that.

Best German players are already owned by other Germany powerhouses
                    By the way, Tim Ohlbrecht and Lucca Staiger seemed very interesting in friendly games of German NT.
                    I'm on twitter

Comment

Originally posted by sagenas View Post
                      Tell me, what are limits of foreign players in Bundesliga? Imo, any team needs good local players if they want to reach something...of course, they could make smth like Macabbi made. However, I don't believe that they could reach that level like Barca and teams like that.

Best German players are already owned by other Germany powerhouses
                      By the way, Tim Ohlbrecht and Lucca Staiger seemed very interesting in friendly games of German NT.
                      As Benzing said (that is my source) this year the rule is 5+7 and from 2012 on it will be 6+6 in the German BBL.

When you have money you can buy players.

I consider Benzing, Pleiss and Harris, better than Ohlbrecht and Staiger. Besides I only mentioned a few, there are more talented players. Thank you St.Dirk
                      sigpic

The basketball shop.

https://www.interbasket.net/forums/s...-Obradovic-Era

Comment

Originally posted by qiangdade View Post
                        As Benzing said (that is my source) this year the rule is 5+7 and from 2012 on it will be 6+6 in the German BBL.

When you have money you can buy players.

I consider Benzing, Pleiss and Harris, better than Ohlbrecht and Staiger. Besides I only mentioned a few, there are more talented players. Thank you St.Dirk
                        Germany has talented generation right now but they won't become highest level players if they can't get a chance in their teams. However, in my opinion Germany just doesn't have that good local players if they want to become Euroleague's powerhouse - to play in Final 4 and things like that.
                        I'm on twitter

Comment

sounds like an amzing project (ecpecially as a bayren fan).
                          at the past few years israel had few teams that have "big name" from football trying and create big team in basketball. it was not a long time ago so we can't look at this in prespectives.
                          how do you estimate the general level of "pro a" league?

Comment

Uli Hoeneß talks about plans for the future.

Next year, they plan to have a 6-8 Mio Euro budget which wouldn't be a problem for them from the financial standpoint. He also mentions "Audi" is interested in becoming a main sponsor and that a lot of other sponsors are interested.
                            "It's not about four guys working to get one player open and give the ball to him."- Ettore Messina

Sanchez, Ginobili, Basile, Kukoc, Sabonis

Comment

Nice project and a nice read.

Players aren't an issue. As Qiang said, St.Dirk obviously managed to bring some kids into basketball, Rome wasn't build in a day, but with few seasons of patience given responsibility under the right coach they can become cornerstones for a top team - that still takes time though.

I got through all the reading, reminding myself just how bad I've become with my german
                              Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                              That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Bayern Munich manages to win the match vs second ranked Würzburg and is now leading the standings by four wins. So they're most likely qualified for german first league next season.
                                The game was played in front of 12.200 spectators in the Olympiahalle in Munich, which sets a new attendance record for the second german league.

"It's not about four guys working to get one player open and give the ball to him."- Ettore Messina

Sanchez, Ginobili, Basile, Kukoc, Sabonis

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information