Asian Cuisine : Your country's and your faves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
    Hehe... the ONE food to avoid when you are in China... most likely the odor alone is enough to expel you...
    eaten it couple of times, first time in college back in states. next few times in china. i dont particularly care for it. but yeah u have to be careful with street vendors, cuz seriously the stuff sometimes looks like shit, i shit you not.

if you guys who have never experienced the smell of it...the best way to describe it is this accorsding to my nose:

have a dog with particularly long hair, go unwashed for let's say minimum 8 months, now the dog doesnt necessarily live indoor but lets jsut say outdoor. you know the fur will start to have that "distinct" smell of dogs; wait im not done.

now sometimes dogs roll around in dirt, whatever the dirt may contain; for the sake of my point let's jsut say some old dry dung on the ground the dog decided to dig up and roll aorund in its mixture of 80/20 soil/animal dung... now smell the dog, thats how stinky tofu smells like.
    "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

ceviche uses lime juice right?

by the way kinalaw is damn good. i havent eaten it in years. but the stuff is good, i like eating it with that seaweed u always find in philippines. how do u call it...you know it has many small bubbles. think of like grapes, but of course much smaller. i eat this a lot when i visit the philippines. u guys help me out with this seaweed!

oh best rum int he world, tandhuay rum. i love the black label one, the superior one. aged 12 yrs to perfection!

vietnamese food i like "Pho", what the pho!
      "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

Kare-Kare is King!

After pinoy foods these are what I like

Japanese Curry!!! Not much of culinary specialty but I really love Curry!

after that would be Beef Rendang from Malaysia and Indonesia!

I also love these skewered meats called "Satay" from Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia

after that, ill flush them all with a bottle (a case sana) of

Borat: Ang Sarap!
        you know why I am happy

Comment

Originally posted by Phantim3dx View Post
          ceviche uses lime juice right?

by the way kinalaw is damn good. i havent eaten it in years. but the stuff is good, i like eating it with that seaweed u always find in philippines. how do u call it...you know it has many small bubbles. think of like grapes, but of course much smaller. i eat this a lot when i visit the philippines. u guys help me out with this seaweed!

oh best rum int he world, tandhuay rum. i love the black label one, the superior one. aged 12 yrs to perfection!

vietnamese food i like "Pho", what the pho!
          Ilocanos call the green seaweed Caulerpa racemosa "ar-arusep". Goes well with either salt or vinegar.
          Keep running, big boy.

Comment

Originally posted by b3lowzro View Post

Japanese Curry!!! Not much of culinary specialty but I really love Curry!
            I love curry (Indian in particular) too but isn't that... gravy? I always thought curry is dry.
            Originally posted by kaiziken_pinas View Post

best burger ever!
            That's Asian cuisine?
            Originally posted by Phantim3dx View Post
            eaten it couple of times, first time in college back in states.
            What I want to know is which college in the States serves that...
            aim low, score high

Comment

I love curry (Indian in particular) too but isn't that... gravy? I always thought curry is dry.
              well actually its gravy with curry powder and garam masala in it, well that's what japanese call it.

on indian food, what I really like is Rogan Josh, or lamb curry (well what I've had in an Indian resto in Makati was goat)

That's Asian cuisine?
              That's Jollibee's Champ burger, 1/3 pound of beefy goodness
              Last edited by b3lowzro; 04-23-2010, 03:49 PM.
              you know why I am happy

Comment

ANYWAY, where are our Middle-East friends? I'm very much interested on what they eat there.
                I can't speak for them, but I think they probably got too disgusted by some of the stuff suggested here... (the first picture in the thread is pork )I remember going to an Arabic restaurant many many years ago... I remembered a lots of pancakes with vegetables (zucchini?) in it, tasty.

Speaking of lamb, anyone here likes mutton kabob? I love it. Kind of like the "satay" posted above

Also people in Beijing eat a lot of mutton hot pot, they call it Mongolian mutton, Phantim3dx knows what I'm talking about.
                aim low, score high

Comment

I can't speak for them, but I think they probably got too disgusted by some of the stuff suggested here... (the first picture in the thread is pork )I remember going to an Arabic restaurant many many years ago... I remembered a lots of pancakes with vegetables (zucchini?) in it, tasty.

Speaking of lamb, anyone here likes mutton kabob? I love it. Kind of like the "satay" posted above

Also people in Beijing eat a lot of mutton hot pot, they call it Mongolian mutton, Phantim3dx knows what I'm talking about.
                  how do you make those?
                  you know why I am happy

Comment

Originally posted by b3lowzro View Post
                    how do you make those?
                    Just like every other food on a stick -- barbeque.

I'm not sure what the spice they use though -- I'm sure our Middle Eastern friends can tell us... if they read this thread that is.
                    aim low, score high

Comment

I forgot about about their tolerance towards pork. LOL.
                      How does lamb taste like? I really wanna eat some of those.

That's Asian cuisine?
                      you can only find a burger like that in Jollibee. The best i've ever eaten. The Patty is the best!

probably the best thing to eat this summer.

Comment

I forgot about about their tolerance towards pork. LOL.
                        How does lamb taste like? I really wanna eat some of those.
                        hmm Lamb? its like beef but a bit gamy (ma Angge in tagalog).

Here's my favorite Hong Kong street food, Char Siu 叉烧

I had one of these everyday while working in HK a few years back.

also this is one my favorite while visiting Macau on the weekends, the Pork Chop Buns

And their eggtarts

Finally Cafe de Coral's baked porkchop
                        Last edited by b3lowzro; 04-24-2010, 07:28 AM.
                        you know why I am happy

Comment

Just like every other food on a stick -- barbeque.

I'm not sure what the spice they use though -- I'm sure our Middle Eastern friends can tell us... if they read this thread that is.
                          I'm used to seeing what u guys eat so that's fine with me but i'm not sure that other Middle Easterners would be very interested or tempted to try

There's not one specific spice that is used.
                          Mostly it's a mixture of peppers (black and white). Some people use cumin. In the pic u posted it seems they have used sesame.

Comment

ANYWAY, where are our Middle-East friends? I'm very much interested on what they eat there.
                            Here's a sample of some of our famous Lebanese dishes:

The first dish is shish taouk (marinated chicken skewers. We usually roast green peppers and sometimes mushrooms with them)

The second dish is kafta (could be lamb or beef depending on preferences). U usually add spices (mostly peppers) and some times parsley as well.

The third is called kibbeh (made of bulgur and stuffed with fried minced meat and onions. Pine nuts can be added as well)

Hummus is usually eaten as a starter/appetizer and it's made of mashed chick peas and u usually add to it olive oil, some cumin, sumac, or even chilli powder.

Tabbouleh is like our most famous kind of salad and it's also served as an appetizer/starter. Its primary ingredients are finely chopped parsley, bulgur, mint, tomato, spring onion, and other herbs with lemon juice, olive oil and various seasonings, generally including black pepper and sometimes cinnamon and allspice.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid80 View Post

The first dish is shish taouk (marinated chicken skewers. We usually roast green peppers and sometimes mushrooms with them)

The second dish is kafta (could be lamb or beef depending on preferences). U usually add spices (mostly peppers) and some times parsley as well.

The third is called kibbeh (made of bulgur and stuffed with fried minced meat and onions. Pine nuts can be added as well)

Hummus is usually eaten as a starter/appetizer and it's made of mashed chick peas and u usually add to it olive oil, some cumin, sumac, or even chilli powder.

Tabbouleh is like our most famous kind of salad and it's also served as an appetizer/starter. Its primary ingredients are finely chopped parsley, bulgur, mint, tomato, spring onion, and other herbs with lemon juice, olive oil and various seasonings, generally including black pepper and sometimes cinnamon and allspice.
                              wow. thanks Khalid. I see. Your dishes are centered around various spices. They make me hungry as well

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid80 View Post

hey khalid is lamb Massala a lebanese dish? I've one eaten in a Lebanese resto but after doing some research I couldn't find any of it the recipe books
                                you know why I am happy

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information