Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chinese historical dramas in the Philippines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LordOfLeyte View Post
    I was surprised that ShangXiang was included on the events of Chi Bi, but it's historical fiction anyways and Zhao Wei looked great though.
    Hehe, at least she was a real historical person (ROTK did mention she liked weapons and was very good with swords), I don't know about Cao Cao's Eurasian granddaughter... (Maggie Q in the other ROTK movie)

But Zhao Wei was born for roles like this. She did this after Red Cliff:
    aim low, score high

Comment

Will add Hua Mulan to one of my must see movies.

Comment

Condor Heroes

Used to watch this in 2007. Historical Fiction / Love / Romance / Martial-Arts. A Jin-Yong classic into one of the best Tv series so far in my watch.

Xiao-Lung Nu is awesome.
        Sacramento Kings
        HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by LordOfLeyte View Post

Cool. That's what Fu Hao's tomb looks like. Did they fund her axe? About the topic, I wish a Fu Hao drama / action tv series be made alongside her human ritual sacrifices by using her axe.

I don't know on who (Chinese Actress) should play the lead but she must resemble this picture:

Sacramento Kings

Comment

I don't know where to put this as this has more to do with Chinese history and nothing related to Philippines.

I just watched a fascinating documentary on CCTV 9 about tulous'

A tulou is a traditional communal residence which was popular in the Fujian province in Southern China. It can be of different shapes such as the circular tulou, square tulou, five phoenix tulou (Pentagonal shape) and even the octagonal tulou. The tulou structure was occupied by clan groups and flourished over many dynasties the most popular of which was during the Han dynasty.
            The tulou was also built as an effective stronghold for defense against intruders and enemies.

Some links in case anyone is interested in reading about them:

Fujian Tulou, the World Heritage of Hakka Fortress, wins the world-wide reputation as Family Kingdom, Hearth Home, harmonious community and cluster of Hakka cultures.

This article describes the vernacular Chinese tulou style of rammed earth architecture.

Here are some pics as well of tolous':
            Attached Files

Comment

I just remembered recently, this show called Amazing Twins which was a Historical Fiction Series based on a novel.

Used to watch this show on ABC-5 now TV5.
              Sacramento Kings

Comment

Here's something I found. Though it may not be a historical drama, it might be worth posting here:

photo source
                The movie Hari Sa Hari, Lahi Sa Lahi (King and Empeor), a co-production by this very Cultural Center of the Philippines and Beijing Film Studio has been one of the highlights of our bilateral cultural exchanges after 1975. Based upon true history, it tells us the profound friendship between Sulu King and Chinese Emperor. In the year of 1417,the East King of the Kingdom of Sulu, Paduka Pahala, sailed with his family and entourage, far across the South China Sea, braving the storms, defying all hardships, traveling thousands of miles to pay his tribute to the Chinese emperor Zhu Di of Ming dynasty. He was warmly welcomed by the emperor when he arrived in China. Unfortunately he passed away from a disease at Dezhou, Shandong Province on his way back home. Emperor Zhu Di sent officials in charge of rites to make arrangements for his funeral and set up a tombstone for him. The tombstone is preserved by Chinese government until today and the friendship between the king and emperor was, is and will be cherished by present and future generations.

Paduka Pahala's tomb in Dezhou

Paduka Pahala's descendants meet former Pres. Arroyo

photo source
                Last edited by c_d; 10-20-2010, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Wow, that was before Ferdinand Magellan supposedly discovered the Philippines. Correct me if I'm wrong, but at the time of Emperor Zhu Di of the Ming Dynasty; that was the golden age of the Ming Reign.

I also believe that the great Admiral Zheng He and his enormous fleet are aware of the Philippine Islands; though there are no chronicles of them stopping over.
                  Sacramento Kings

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
                    Wow, that was before Ferdinand Magellan supposedly discovered the Philippines. Correct me if I'm wrong, but at the time of Emperor Zhu Di of the Ming Dynasty; that was the golden age of the Ming Reign.

I also believe that the great Admiral Zheng He and his enormous fleet are aware of the Philippine Islands; though there are no chronicles of them stopping over.
                    They say Cheng Ho (or Zheng He) met Princess Urduja when he visited the shores of Pangasinan.
                    you know why I am happy

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
                      They were aware of our islands. Luzon (呂宋) and Pangasinan (馮家施蘭/馮嘉施蘭) were mentioned in the Ming annals.

Comment

Originally posted by talion View Post
                        @sinobball

The Philippines has a complex culture. It is neither Western nor Eastern but a combination of both. And It is exactly the union of these two great cultures which gave our uniquely filipino way of life. Unfortunately,like the matrix, no one can be told what this culture is. One has to tumble down the rabbit hole and experience it firsthand before he can explain it. But to give you an overview, allow me to cite a few justifications, to wit:

The Civil Code of the Philippines which governs our civil laws is mainly copied from the Spanish Civil Code which in turn can be traced from Roman Law. Hence, legal concepts such as "Pater Familias and Res Ipsa Loquitur" are easily integrated into our concept of justice. However, because of strong family ties and "pasensya", which can be roughly translated to unwavering patience to the extent of martyrdom, we rarely see families and friends take advantage of our civil law system and sue one another for damages for the slightest altercations. Suing a neighbor for his loud parties and karaoke nights is almost unheard of in the islands. However, such incidents can easily lead to fistfights because of asian machismo, not to mention the filipino's propensity to box.

Similarly, the foundation of the Revised Penal Code of the Philippines, the law which governs our criminal system, mostly came from the Spanish Penal Code. Latter amendments made in the Code were mostly inspired by American Jurisprudence. As such, where brilliant Spanish legal philosophers of the Spanish Penal Code like Manresa and Castan agree that the purpose of the Penal System is corrective, and, on the other hand, modern day american jurisprudence holds that the purpose of the penal system is to rehabilitate the offender, our own penal laws as an offshoot of both, strive to be both corrective and rehabilitative.

But the western evolution of the criminal system doesnt entirely mean that Filipinos prosecute criminal offenders the way westerners do. Largely attributed to pasensya, misdemeanors are rarely punished. Sometimes, a simple tearful sorry may prompt an offended party to drop charges. On the other hand, heinous crimes against persons and property are best addressed with vendetta, especially in the far-flung provinces where relatives remain clanish.

The Negotiable Instruments Law of the Philippines which is the foundation of all special commercial laws in the Philippines is copied verbatim from the US. Negotiable Instruments Law which in turn can be traced from the English NI Law. As such, formalities regarding the issuance of Checks and Promissory Notes are wholly Western. But traditional asian business practices like "tubong nilugaw", a business practice purportedly coming from the chinese wherein a vendor pads the real price of his ware in unconscionable terms but goes away with it by smooth talking the buyer, barter, and the Indian-Filipino 5:6 credit system( i lend you 5 pesos, i earn plus 1 peso everyday/week until you pay me the whole 5 pesos), are incorporated into day to day business transactions and goes unnoticed by law.

Finally, in Religion. Filipinos are deeply religious people, be they muslims, christians, animists,or buddhists. Liberated Free Thinkers and Atheists are mostly confined in the academic circles, influencing only brilliant students of philosophy, science and law. As such, both western and eastern religions and discipline control a major part of an ordinary filipino's life. Since there is an amalgamation of different beliefs, it is therefore not rare to see a Catholic or Muslim Filipino following Feng Sui books for prosperity and good luck, or a Filipino-Chinese Buddhist visiting christian churches to absorb good vibes . Still, there are those who try to harmonize Christianity and Animism.

There are a lot more examples but I hope this does the job for now.
                        I agree to you! Nice post. Thanks for this one.

Comment

indeed you are right
                          i am a Pinoy Tv shows lover

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information