Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Africa winning Egypt is not shock for me. Yes, surprise, but not shock, Egypt is with pretty poor roster here.
    Shock was Cote d'Ivoire losing to Egypt. That came as result of CIV missing first 17 three-point attempts (maybe it was even more than 17, that is what they showed at TV in one moment, I think at end of 3rd quarter).
    That allowed Egypt to play zone defense for 30+ minutes. And it is not missed shots only, at some point CIV players started to doubt themselves - having completely open looks they decided to pass (not unselfishly, but "let someone else misses this time"), then there was 3 or 4 extra passes (where 0 or 1 would be appropriate), then it increased chance of turnovers ... indeed Egyptians took advantage of that endless passing for some nice steals and easy fast break points.

Point being:
    Even without badly missed Amagou, CIV should be able to score some 30% of 3-pointers (at least versus Egypt and dared by zone defense). So this was aberration, normally CIV would hit some 5/17 3-pointers through three quarters, instead of being down 52-54 at end of 3rd period, they would be up 67-54. Then Egypt would be forced to give up on zone and switch back to man-to-man. They would then exposed in paint + would not score some of those points from turnovers caused by Ivory Coast players being afraid to shoot. On a normal day, that would be 20 points win by CIV ... but games like that are exactly why I watch a lot of sports and none of "reality" shows (yeah, real, those are more "fakeity" shows).

Comment

• What happened in the match Cote D'Ivoire - Cameroon..?? 7-3 .. long break, now some stretching...

Comment

• Lights in the arena went out. Liam Canny put on a Jordanesque performance filling up 20 minutes of airtime but even he had to take a break...

Looks like we are ready to go again.
        Originally posted by Fedfan
        Most ppl get childish when they lose.
        Originally posted by GuTO
        refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

• Originally posted by chacharko View Post
          What happened in the match Cote D'Ivoire - Cameroon..?? 7-3 .. long break, now some stretching...
          Power failure. I don't know if there's no electricity only in arena or in some wider area.

Comment

• Horrible playing by CIV... It's like they see each other for the first time..

Comment

• Originally posted by chacharko View Post
              Horrible playing by CIV... It's like they see each other for the first time..
              heh.. now much better... during five minutes..

Comment

• Eight Finals Round

Code:
                8/23/2011 11:30 Nigeria        vs. Chad        
                8/23/2011 14:00 D2 (CAF/TUN)   vs. Egypt       
                8/23/2011 16:30 Cameroon       vs. D4 (TOG/RWA)
                8/23/2011 19:00 B2 (ANG/MOR)   vs. Mozambique      

8/24/2011 11:30 Senegal        vs. Madagascar  
                8/24/2011 14:00 Côte d'Ivoire  vs. D3 (RWA/TOG)
                8/24/2011 16:30 D1 (TUN/CAF)   vs. South Africa
                8/24/2011 19:00 Mali           vs. B3 (MOR/ANG)
                Start times are very probably going to change. For example, I doubt home team is going to play in the morning.

Seems it'll be quite dull round and real tournament to start from Quarter Finals (Thursday 25 August)

Comment

• Originally posted by Silvio View Post
                  Eight Finals Round

Code:
                  8/23/2011 11:30 Nigeria        vs. Chad        
                  8/23/2011 14:00 D2 (CAF/TUN)   vs. Egypt       
                  8/23/2011 16:30 Cameroon       vs. D4 (TOG/RWA)
                  8/23/2011 19:00 B2 (ANG/MOR)   vs. Mozambique      

8/24/2011 11:30 Senegal        vs. Madagascar  
                  8/24/2011 14:00 Côte d'Ivoire  vs. D3 (RWA/TOG)
                  8/24/2011 16:30 D1 (TUN/CAF)   vs. South Africa
                  8/24/2011 19:00 Mali           vs. B3 (MOR/ANG)
                  Start times are very probably going to change. For example, I doubt home team is going to play in the morning.

Seems it'll be quite dull round and real tournament to start from Quarter Finals (Thursday 25 August)
                  Are you sure about this system of competition? because its little wierd, in 2009 there were 2 groups by 6 team in the second round like usually in FIBA competitions

Comment

• Originally posted by FLORAN View Post
                    Are you sure about this system of competition? because its little wierd, in 2009 there were 2 groups by 6 team in the second round like usually in FIBA competitions
                    Its correct, a 16 team knockout tourney....surprised me too when I saw it today lol
                    My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
                    1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
                    1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
                    1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
                    1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
                    1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
                    1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
                    1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

Comment

• Originally posted by zik013 View Post
                      get in where?
                      all the teams get into 1/16 dont they?
                      Yes, right you are, I wsa mistaken on the format.

I'm calling it, Madagascar upsets Senegal in the first round!
                      Last edited by rikhardur; 08-22-2011, 01:40 AM.

Statistics Wish List:

Comment

• Any links for todays matches?

Statistics Wish List:

Comment

• Originally posted by usausa View Post
                          Any links for todays matches?
                          Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

• Originally posted by mohsena2631 View Post
                            now Senegal is leading 54-56 after a 16-0 run !

but honestly I was expecting more from AfroBasket !

lol. Morocco finally scored a FT while I writing !
                            Originally posted by sagenas View Post
                            In which meaning? I didn't expect somethign at all, I'm just ejoying competition.

P.s. what more can you expect when so many good players don't play...even Nigeria could have such a good team but unfortunately they don't...

sagenas, after first round nears an end, now I understand where is mohsena2631 coming form

1) Some really bad teams on championship again, never more of them due to to political reasons or marketing reasons or bad qualification zones forming. I don't know what is main reason - but it produces many dull games that are blowout from start to end.

2) Some lower middle quality teams are down to quality of those minnows (like Mozambique or South Africa), for example Mali (w/o Amara Sy) or Egypt (w/o just about everyone)

3) Some teams are again w/o most of their best players. Nigeria and Senegal examples - as always much better 12 could be made from players that are not here than roster of those teams that is actually present in Madagascar. With better rosters, there will be more contenders (or at least medal contenders), with not always same countries high placed.

4) One would expect chance for qualifying to Olympics would attract more than usual quantity of better players from European teams to play at championship ... but no, usual big amount of absentees in start of preparations. Then some more due to either injuries, either to stupid reasons (Romain Sato, Antoine Mendy)

Comment

• LOL on Togo coach

Our team is made up of largely local players unlike other countries in our group who brought mainly professional players, players who are used to this type competition, the weather also affected us especially when we played against Tunisia .

ROFL, what, the pitch was muddy?
                              And I always laugh at this kind of excuses ... even if there's some weather factor (which is highly unlikely in indoors sports), how possibly it could affect only one team?

Comment

• Angola won Morocco, last dilemma solved.

These are pairs of first knockout round (start times subject to change):

Eight Finals Round

Code:
                                8/23/2011 11:30 Nigeria            vs. Chad
                                8/23/2011 14:00 Central Afr.Rep.   vs. Egypt
                                8/23/2011 16:30 Cameroon           vs. Togo
                                8/23/2011 19:00 Angola             vs. Mozambique

8/24/2011 11:30 Senegal            vs. Madagascar
                                8/24/2011 14:00 Côte d'Ivoire      vs. Rwanda
                                8/24/2011 16:30 Tunisia            vs. South Africa
                                8/24/2011 19:00 Mali               vs. Morocco
                                Last edited by Silvio; 08-22-2011, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information