X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Knoy View Post
    Jay P. Mercado...

nililinaw ko lang...

yung dinagdag mong mga NOTABLE PLAYERS is di naman maxado interesting, RESPETO LANG...

may dinagdag ka ngang mga trivias, that's good...

kung di ka naman bobo, bat mo sinabi na walang kwenta yung mga nabigay na trivias???

RESPETO LANG SIR...

kung ayaw mo tong thread, eh wag ka nang magpost at lalo wag mo nang buksan...
    lets not mind what the TS has posted..
    its a consolation already that he made this kind of thread to educate
    young PBA fans.
    and its getting more interesting to see sir JPM's posts here..
    i love reading his posts way back in PEx..
    keep it up sir, as well as to The_Big_Cat

Comment

Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
      Never realized that players and their jersey numbers are not considered "trivia." Just the same, since you're the TS here, I'll respect you and steer clear from such.

Perhaps, these would be better:

1. The first player to don three digits as his jersey number in the PBA (and perhaps in the NBA as well) would be Toyota import Bruce "Sky" King. The 6'8 forward played for Toyota in the 1977 Invitationals and the 1978 Open and Invitationals while wearing jersey number 11. When Arnie Tuadles joined the lineup in 1979 as a rookie, he wore #11. King was then re-hired and was forced to look for a different jersey number. He settled for #111.
      Thanks for remembering Andrew Fields' Toyota mate, Jay. In addition to #11 and #111, I believe the late Bruce "Sky" King also wore jersey # 43 at one time.

ps. to JPM and Big Cat, please carry on with your wonderful posts and pay no heed to the asshole who thinks that starting the thread means ownership of the entire fabric.

Comment

Originally posted by Knoy View Post
        yung dinagdag mong mga NOTABLE PLAYERS is di naman maxado interesting, RESPETO LANG...

kung di ka naman bobo, bat mo sinabi na walang kwenta yung mga nabigay na trivias???

RESPETO LANG SIR...
        Somehow, your viewpoint of "notable" may not be similar to others. If you don't find them "interesting" just because you don't know them, then so be it. But what may be applicable to you may not work with another. Hence, if you're asking for respect, learn to give the same to the others who may find some of the other posts interesting compared to how you viewed these.

Now, before you start insulting other people by name-calling, kindly read through my previous posts and find where I actually stated that the posts here (particularly yours) are worthless. The only post I disagreed was the "John Kazmer is the first caucasian to play in the PBA in 1981" line which you posted. I never questioned you, since you were taking this trivia from PBA books or other references. All I said that I took it against the PBA for not correcting this - because Kazmer was NOT the first PBA caucasian import. Maybe you can go back to your source and complain that you came out with an inaccurate post because of them. Otherwise, what was done was to correct the post made - with no intention of maligning the sender but the source (since I'm 100% sure this didn't come from you but from Wiki or other sources).

Your definition of trivia may have to be expanded a bit - and not because you're the TS would require us to stand by your own definition. Player and jersey numbers are part of trivia, which is why Big Cat's post is quite interesting. Probably more interesting than other posts since you don't see this in PBA history books, unlike those that were simply taken from the pages of the PBA Annual or Wikipedia or other websites (and still incorrectly post these in this thread).

Best!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
          Other notable Toyota numbers back in the earlier years:

Fort Acuna - #17
          Jake Roxas - #22
          Jess Sta. Maria - #18
          Orly Bauzon - #9
          Big Boy Reynoso - #4
          Ody Segura - #15

If memory serves me right, there are only two people in this world to have won a PBA and NBA Championship ring. Clue: both played for the Boston Celtics.
          Glenn McDonalds was a teammate of my distanct uncle and neighbor, Orly Delos Santos. Delos Santos once held the PBA record for most steals in a game which is 9. I don't know if that record still stands today.

Ompong Segura was my coach at MILO BEST and a good friend of my late father. Segura was the recipient of Bobby Jaworski's baseball passes in the late 70s.

Comment

Crispa players and their jersey numbers;

Bernie Fabiosa #15
            Atoy Co #6
            Freddy Hubalde #10
            Philip Cezar #18
            Abet Guidaben #5
            Bogs Adornado #33
            Itoy Esguerra #16
            Yoyoy Villamin #13
            Joy Carpio #29
            Bai Cristobal #7
            Fritz Gaston #22
            Mon Cruz #24
            Tito Varela ??
            Romulo Mamaril ??
            Joy Dionisio ??

When Crispa started in the PBA, coach Baby Dalupan had the starting 5 of Joy Dionisio (PG), Atoy Co (SG), Bog Adornado (SF), Philip Cezar (PF) and Abet Guidaben (C). A season or two after that it was Bernie Fabiosa who took over the PG chores for Crispa. Freddy Hubalde then was elevated to the starting SF when Bogs Adornado left Crispa.

Comment

Did you know that Franz Pumaren was the first player to make a 4-point play in the PBA? Franz Pumaren was able to accomplish that while playing for the guest team, Northern Consolidated in 1985.

The second player to achieve that was Freddy Hubalde of Tanduay during the Finals series against Great Taste in 1987.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Big_Cat View Post
                Crispa players and their jersey numbers;

Tito Varela ??
                Romulo Mamaril ??
                Joy Dionisio ??
                Jersey numbers 14, 17, and 9 respectively (please confirm).

Also another Toyota local who could be added to the previous list is Emerito Legaspi (#18).

Other Toyota import footnotes: Milton Wertz (#33) from the University of Hawaii, and Victor King (#34) recruited from the Continental Basketball Association (Maine Lumberjacks) who replaced the ineffective Wertz and went on to win a PBA championship with Andy Fields.

More Toyota imports I remember: Archie Talley who I believe scored 48 points on his debut, Arnold Dugger from Oral Roberts University who debuted in the PBA alongside 4 rookies (Tim Coloso, Terry Saldana, Ed Cordero, and Ricky Relosa), and Julius Wayne who also did time with the U/Tex Wranglers. Don't remember the jersey numbers of these guys though...

Comment

Originally posted by insulares View Post
                  Jersey numbers 14, 17, and 9 respectively (please confirm).

Also another Toyota local who could be added to the previous list is Emerito Legaspi (#18).

Other Toyota import footnotes: Milton Wertz (#33) from the University of Hawaii, and Victor King (#34) recruited from the Continental Basketball Association (Maine Lumberjacks) who replaced the ineffective Wertz and went on to win a PBA championship with Andy Fields.

More Toyota imports I remember: Archie Talley who I believe scored 48 points on his debut, Arnold Dugger from Oral Roberts University who debuted in the PBA alongside 4 rookies (Tim Coloso, Terry Saldana, Ed Cordero, and Ricky Relosa), and Julius Wayne who also did time with the U/Tex Wranglers. Don't remember the jersey numbers of these guys though...
                  Yes I remember Emerito "Emer" Legazpi, Archie Talley and Arnold Dugger. Toyota had also another 6'8 to 6'9 import named Ralph Brewster.

During that time, the NBA had a high school phenom by the name of Daryl Dawkins jumping straight to the pros. The PBA had a similar player who was highly publicized back then. Antero "Terry" Saldana jumped straight out of Letran High School to join the PBA back then. Many people didn't know that Antero "Terry" Saldana is a Fil-Foreign. Terry Saldana has an american father but opted to carry his mother's surname.

Comment

And so i still vividly remember that it was coach Tommy Manotoc of his Utex Wrangler days who said one step backward is too steps forward! It was also Coach Ed Ocampo of the Toyota Tamaraws that was the Man Diesel and the Toyota Comets beforehand that coined " you dont overhaul a well oiled machine" during that year Apcor or Herdis Disini team disbanded and Toyotas arch rival the Redmanizers brought in their version of the fabulous five recruiting from the amateur ranks yoyoy villamin, padim israel, mon cruz, bay cristobal and to complement that came Itoy Esguerra. Toyota never recoverred from that fabulous recruit so the year after they signed from the amateur ranks Tim Coloso, Ed Cordero, Ricky Relosa, Terry Saldana and Chito Loyzaga. The best of the Apcor five may have been Rey Lazaro who signed with Yco Tanduay. One of the most bizarre incidents in the PBA early years was when coach Caloy Loyzaga refuse to field in his players for disciplinary action and instead opted for one of his ballboys to play... shades of the early days ballistics. During 1979 3rd Conference the Invitationals, Toyota Tamaraws coach Dante Silverio refuse to field in Ramon Fernandez, Abe King, Estoy Estrada and previously Danny Florencio for his suspected game fixing and he was dead on indeed during those early years it was already evident that patterned to the very end that game fixing was prevalent. The tamaraws led by imports Bruce sky King and Andrew Fields led the Tamaraws to the championships and the locals who played for Dante Silverio back then and was relieved by Fortunato Acuna were the Big J, Francis Arnaiz, Emer Legaspi, Nick Bulaong, Pablo javier, jess Sta Maria. Prior to 1979, the Tamaraws were also champions of the Invitationals after Bruce Sky King and Carlos G. Terry led the tamaraws to the championships. Before Sky King it was Byron Snake Jones who was the resident import for Toyota. Sky King and Andy Fields partnered for a few more years before Victor KIng the replacement of Bruce Sky King who played with Andy Fields to lead Toyota to the promise land of that years 2nd Conference. During those times, Andy Fields and Bruce Sky King only got to play together during the 3rd Conference as they played alternatedly during the 2nd Conference. After Utex was able to break the monopoly of Crispa and toyota... PBA allowed Toyota and Crispa to be handicap with a smaller import thus born the Archie Talley days... although it was said that he debuted with 48 points Archie Talley was one dimensional and was useless compared to Al Green or Glen the Magician Hagan! When finally the height was raised to 6-3 Toyota fielded the Dynamic duo of Donnie Ray Koonce and Andrew Fields. 1979 in the first game of the 2nd Conference, Toyotas Abe King brawled with Dean Tolson and Larry McNeil of the Gilbeys Gins. It may have been Mariwasa who first fielded a duo of white imports with Jim Kelley and Tom Snyder. Tanduay also had a white American that stood 7-0 tall in the name of Jim Zoet. When we mentioned the giants, every team had two, Toyota sported Ramon Fernandez and Abe King, Tanduay had Ely Capacio and Nat Castillo, Royal TRu Orange had Jess Migalbin and Rudy Lalota, while Crispa had Guidaben and Cezar plus Rudy Soriano and lately the biggest of them all was Romy Mamaril.

Comment

I think Insulares' recollection of the jersey numbers of Messrs. Varela, Dionisio and Mamaril are spot-on. Other interesting names include Rey Vallejo (#4), Rudy Soriano (#7), Rey Pages (#8), Bogs Adornado (he was actually #11, only used #33 when he moved to U/Tex), Bong Dela Cruz (#12), and Cris Calilan (#23).

Terry Saldana back then was said to have been the youngest player to join the PBA at 17 years old. However, after closer scrutiny, it turned out that Saldana was at least 4 years older than his claimed age back then. Saldana would have become the PBA ROY awardee in 1982 had he not figured in a brawl against the visiting South Korean national team (led by the hotshot Lee Chung Hee) in the PBA Invitationals. Because of this, Saldana, the leading rookie in the stats race, was disqualified and his namesake (but not related), Marte Saldana of San Miguel, won the honor.

1978 was a memorable year for the Toyota franchise. They not only won two conferences that season, they also had their marquee player Robert Jaworski winning the MVP title, the first guard to ever do so. Jaworski had a season average of 20 ppg, 12 rpg, and 8.8 apg in an incredible season, arguably regarded as the best ever by a local. Of course, Ramon Fernandez's 1984 stint with Beer Hausen may dispute this as his stats were more impressive (27ppg, 15 rpg, and 9.9 apg - a near triple double season average) but the circumstances were different. 1978 had one AFC, one Open Conference (for Toyota, that means having to play one import at a time with unlimited height), and the Invitationals (both imports with unlimited height playing simultaneously). 1984 had 2 All Filipino Conferences and 1 that had a height limit of 6'5. Fernandez was at least 6'4 and could easily dominate the other imports, apart from dominating the 2 AFC's. Jaworski had to contend with two imports for opponents and two imports for his team, so for him to get double digits in rebounds was incredible. He was also the second leading local scorer of the team, just behind teammate Danny Florencio's 23ppg. He had teammates like Fernandez, Arnaiz, King, Florencio, Estrada and high-calibered imports like the 6'8 Bruce "Sky" King, the 6'11 TJ Robinson and the 6'5 Joe Frazier-lookalike Carlos Terry who was a monster rebounder himself. How the Big J was able to score, rebound and even pass the ball that much was astounding.

1978 also saw Toyota securing a couple of superstar players from their sister team MAN Diesel / Frigidaire in the MICAA. They got the services of Pablo Javier (a Jawo prototype), Emer Legaspi (the most prolific scorer in the MICAA in the 1977 season) and Ed Merced (gem of a point guard). They also were able to pry the superstar Florencio away from the disbanded team 7/UP and Estoy Estrada from Royal Tru Orange. Pol Herrera, their reliable power forward, was secured in the 1980 season.

The APCOR team of Herminio Disini was arguably the best amateur team ever assembled in local basketball history. They had big amateur and collegiate names in their team, to wit: Yoyoy Villamin, Bay Cristobal, Rey Lazaro, Conrado Pasco, and Marte Saldana of FEU, Zaldy Latoza of Trinity, Hector Calma of Adamson, Padim Israel of Ateneo, Alex Clarino, Ramon Cruz, Carlson Samlani, and Gary Vargas, with no less than multi-titled amateur coach Turo Valenzona (Solid Mills, FEU) at the helm. This team would probably be regarded as a national team already during their time, as their arch rivals, the Yco Painters, couldn't hold a candle against them.

Speaking of a pair of tall players, Presto also had its own version of the twin towers in Danny Pribhdas and Flor Ritualo. Prior to Nat Castillo (who joined the Esquires only in 1979 after a stint with the national team in the 1978 Worlds), Tanduay had the pair of David Supnet and Jimmy Taguines (1977 ROY). U/Tex had Rudy "Boy" Kutch and Romeo Frank (later Jimmy Noblezada) while Carrier had Noblezada and Geny Lucindo.

Chito Loyzaga actually didn't start with Toyota in the PBA. While he joined the Super Corollas in the 1982 season, he played in Tanduay's first 4 games in the 1981 season then disappeared. He later reappeared the succeeding season, wearing the Toyota jersey, and formed a solid bond with Jaworski that led to their dynamic duo relationship in the Ginebra years.

And while Tanduay was fond of caucasian imports, Jim Zoet didn't suit up for the Esquires / Distillers. Instead, he played for the Finance Funders (a company owned by the Cosetengs) in 1981. You may have been referring to Bill Bozeat, a 6'11 mastadon who teamed up with Timmy Hirten in the 1976 season. Some of the imports that reinforced the Tanduay team in the 70's and early 80's include Curtis Berrry, the 6'11 Jerome Henderson, the bulky Odell Ball, Kevin Cluess, Bernard Harris, James Payne, Otto Moore, John Trapp and Russell Murray.

Comment

Glenn McDonalds was a teammate of my distanct uncle and neighbor, Orly Delos Santos. Delos Santos once held the PBA record for most steals in a game which is 9. I don't know if that record still stands today.

Ompong Segura was my coach at MILO BEST and a good friend of my late father. Segura was the recipient of Bobby Jaworski's baseball passes in the late 70s.
                        i think damien owens broke that steal record, IIRC, he registered at least 10 steals in a game where he did also a triple double..

Comment

Yes I remember Emerito "Emer" Legazpi, Archie Talley and Arnold Dugger. Toyota had also another 6'8 to 6'9 import named Ralph Brewster.

During that time, the NBA had a high school phenom by the name of Daryl Dawkins jumping straight to the pros. The PBA had a similar player who was highly publicized back then. Antero "Terry" Saldana jumped straight out of Letran High School to join the PBA back then. Many people didn't know that Antero "Terry" Saldana is a Fil-Foreign. Terry Saldana has an american father but opted to carry his mother's surname.
                          what my eldest brother told me about terry saldana is that he came from the aeta tribe.

“Hindi ko na inaano ‘yun (mapasama sa pool) eh,” Santos said. “Kung susumahin mo ang buhay naming mga player, ‘san ba talaga ang first priority namin, ‘di ba? Ang first priority ko, dahil dito ko nakuha lahat ng kagandahan ng buhay ko at para sa pamilya ko, ang San Miguel. Alam naman ng lahat ‘yun. Ito ang dapat kong paglingkuran.”

Comment

Back then, It's good to hear that they allowed 6'8 and 6'9 imports.

I really just hate the height limit rule for import today. I want to see players like parada and alexander play again against the local players.

I remember Keith Smart the import of San Miguel became a head coach of the Cavs so I think he's the first PBA player to coach an NBA team.
                            Command me Confessor

Comment

Wow it seems that Jp Mercado is two steps ahead of my lifetime..... When the PBA season started in 1975 i was just a 5 yo kid and back in the days there was actually no PBA live coverage although Channel 4 would cover it, sometimes the telecast would last into the wee hours of midnight for the 1st game was never live and telecast would follow after the 2nd game and the news update thus it is categorize as delayed telecast.

I could still remember 1976 when Crispa recorded the 1st ever Grand slam with the All Filipino under their belt... the redmanizers rode on the American by the name of Cyrus Mann. Still could recall when Big J who threw the ball into Cyrus Manns stomach as Big J was saving the ball from out of bounds... after that play Cyrus mann was never the same cager again. Best way to catch Crispa was on Channel 13 on seeing stars with Joe Quirino who buddys with the floros so on sunday nights past 10pm we could catch the latest from the Redminizers. Incidentally on one of JQs telecast, a budding starlet dance her way and the tube she was wearing dropped, braless in the inside and thus ruining my valued innocence... Take it away!

Big J formed a bond initially with Mr. clutch Arnaiz, but the most loyal of them all was Quirino Rino Salazar who later became his assistant coach in la Tondena franchise owned by Honeyboy palanca. During the last years of Toyota, the manager maybe Jack Rodriguez or pablo Ocampo who succeeded Ricky Silverio. Dante Silverios petname from his wards was 'Os bok', back in the days Toyota or Crispa need not have a professional coach for they had all the talents and their 5 players were just enough to win ballgames, long ago the PBA never believed in drafting players out of the amateurs for each ballclub had a farm team so that they could pluck players although on a yearly basis... all the good ones identified with Crispa or toyota!

The 3 point arc came from the NBA via the ABA but it was unique in the PBA for the first three point line was actually semi arc only that was from the top of the key and straight to the sidelines. Bruce Sky King regularly fired away from the 3 point arc even as a big center for Toyota... thus in the 3rd Conference which he never lost a championships as an import he would showcase his 3 point skills because he had an import to rely as a rebounder. Carlos G. Terry who later played for the Washington bullets drove the lane on a fastbreak and came out naked as bernie Fabiosa of Crispa held on to his Jersey. FAbiosa also regularly spit on Francis Arnaiz handsome face when Kiko launch his booming arch layup, with all the advance digital technology today all the moves would have been caught. As a Great Taste player on his later days, Fabiosa also on his inbounds on the backcourt just walked with the ball as he had no recipients from amongsts his Great Taste teammates, only the 3 blind mice were not aware heheheheh!

Ed Ocampo came in from Royal Tru Orange whose success largely owed not to Yoyong Martirez put the prolific tandem on NBA veteran Otto Moore and Larry Pounds who shot free throws with a rhythmic 3 bounce and the crowd would count into that. Tanduay had numerous imports but Russel Murray had a lasting impression at 6-3 and came out the conference best import. There was another import that went by thename of Odell BAll, Norman Black came in via Tefilin, played with JOJO Guzman and was later recruited by coach Manotoc for his SMB glory. Dave Regullano was a note worthy for he regularly laced up his colored black sneakers. The first to bolt the national squad was not Eddie joe Chavez but the quick brown fox my idol Ricardo Brown.... what ended his career was a wrong diagnosis of an irregular heartbeat or some other diagnosis that led to him buying a nice insurance for the wifey.... too bad up until today the premium has not been cashed in. If and only if Luke Dacula had a nicer surname, he wouldnt have to seek the proper courts for a change of surname!

Bulaong was big at 6-4 but he never liked to operate in the inside... surprise surprise when they recruited Ed Cordero it turned out exactly the same. FEu tamaraws had a prolific player that goes by the name of Anthony Williams... if allowed to play for the Tamaraws in the PBA his team would have been Champions aswell. Billy Robinson, Cisco Oliver, james Payne reminds me of americans who found time to actually live in the philippines... Rob Williams also regularly visited manila after his playing sting with the PBA.

I never saw JRCs philip Cezar dunk the ball, they say his brother David was also a hell of a ball player. Apcor dominated the amateur ranks but before that there was also Masagana 99 team that played splendidly... from the south came the Gaisano where the likes of Jojo lastimosa dance the air.... the biggest and baddest potential player was Mong.... dont know where he is now or if he ever played the PBA, atleast Danny Francisco can still be seen in the PBA telecasts.... Cheers!

Comment

I think Ed Ocampo came to Toyota after the tragic death of Fort Acuna.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information