Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Indonesia vs Philippines Rivalry

Wow, I can't believe this thread reached 3 pages.

There is no rivalry.. The Philippines have bigger fish to fry (China, Iran, Lebanon, South Korea).. I wish we can get over the "Great Wall", so that we can compete outside Asia.. Even securing 2nd-place all the time in the Asian Games or FIBA Asia Qualifiers is an achievement enough for me. That'll mean in the coming years, we only have to worry about China.

Quote Originally Posted by j_diddy View Post
    Stumbled into Indonesian site talking about the Philippines and what they need to do to beat us.

Pretty surprising that some of them know who Samboy Lim and Johnny Abbarientos is.

Use google translate:
    http://mainbasket.wordpress.com/2011...-fan/#comments
    A very nice piece. Thanks for sharing. I also noticed a Filipino fan also stumbled upon this and gave him his two cents.

As for me, it seems that most fans probably doesn't know that Philippines tends to send different teams depending on the type of competition. I seem to get an impression that Indonesian fans feel that the team we send in the SEA Games are the same set of players we send on SEABA, FIBA-Asia, and Asian Games.

If we look at the performances of Philippines on those tournaments, they all vary. The team Indonesian fans got exposed to in the last 3 outings of the SEABA tournament (2007, 2009, and 2011) are the elite national team (PBA in 2007 and 2009 then the Smart-Gilas team in 2011) which ended up playing in the FIBA-Asia Championships. That's the reason why Philippines whooped every opposition by at least 30 or 40 points.

The SEA Games is a different story. We tend to send college players or pro players outside the PBA, i.e., the PBL. That's why the results are very different. Games are a lot closer and has more thrill.

The SEA Games this year can give Indonesia and other SEA nations a better chance of winning against the Philippines because of the presence of college players or U-23 squad. Filipino players like Kiefer Ravena and Bobby Ray Parks who are aged 18 years old (I think Kiefer is 17) will be going up against players that are at least 5 years older than them.

Quote Originally Posted by lrangels View Post
    A very nice piece. Thanks for sharing. I also noticed a Filipino fan also stumbled upon this and gave him his two cents.

As for me, it seems that most fans probably doesn't know that Philippines tends to send different teams depending on the type of competition. I seem to get an impression that Indonesian fans feel that the team we send in the SEA Games are the same set of players we send on SEABA, FIBA-Asia, and Asian Games.

If we look at the performances of Philippines on those tournaments, they all vary. The team Indonesian fans got exposed to in the last 3 outings of the SEABA tournament (2007, 2009, and 2011) are the elite national team (PBA in 2007 and 2009 then the Smart-Gilas team in 2011) which ended up playing in the FIBA-Asia Championships. That's the reason why Philippines whooped every opposition by at least 30 or 40 points.

The SEA Games is a different story. We tend to send college players or pro players outside the PBA, i.e., the PBL. That's why the results are very different. Games are a lot closer and has more thrill.

The SEA Games this year can give Indonesia and other SEA nations a better chance of winning against the Philippines because of the presence of college players or U-23 squad. Filipino players like Kiefer Ravena and Bobby Ray Parks who are aged 18 years old (I think Kiefer is 17) will be going up against players that are at least 5 years older than them.

It's from a quite interesting perspective indeed.

Some of them seem to know that stature of Gilas in the PBA; the costs associated in running the Gilas programme; the basketball technology that we just take for granted; and of course, Bobby Parks.

Who would've thought that our neighbours would know all of those. Perhaps we now need to take the moral initiative of helping improve basketball in all of South East Asia.

if i ever moderator i close it! close this thread.

*thread closed*

Quote Originally Posted by seigle42 View Post
    if i ever moderator i close it! close this thread.

*thread closed*
    weehh

Actually there was a time in the 1996 edition of SEABA (in Surabaya) in which Indonesia beat Phillipines to take the title. But don't worry, I know that must have been some amateur team sent by Phillipines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEABA

Many basketball lovers in Indonesia actually support Phillipines team in FIBA asia for example (offcourse as long as it's not the game against Indonesia ) , none of us is actually thinking that Indonesian national team can beat the best Phillipines Basketball team now, so don't be too harsh on us guys, I'm sure you want to see some tighter rivalry in SEA region as well.
    Hopefully it will come 5-10 years from now. Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by posmaf View Post
    Actually there was a time in the 1996 edition of SEABA (in Surabaya) in which Indonesia beat Phillipines to take the title. But don't worry, I know that must have been some amateur team sent by Phillipines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEABA

Many basketball lovers in Indonesia actually support Phillipines team in FIBA asia for example (offcourse as long as it's not the game against Indonesia ) , none of us is actually thinking that Indonesian national team can beat the best Phillipines Basketball team now, so don't be too harsh on us guys, I'm sure you want to see some tighter rivalry in SEA region as well.
    Hopefully it will come 5-10 years from now. Peace!
    Yeah the team sent in 1996, based on my reading, was a PBL team sponsored by Mobiline. I will post more later today, perhaps in a new thread, with articles and such. A couple of RP officials blamed officiating as the reason for the loss, saying they had problems with the Thai referee from the first game, and then the same referee officaited the title match. Graham Lim tried to get neutral officials from Singapore, but was told the game would be officiated fairly no matter who was the referee. Another official blamed the RP 5 saying they lacked mental toughness and maturity. Some RP players on the team included Rommel Adducul, Danny Ildefonso, and Ato Morano.
    My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
    1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
    1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
    1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
    1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
    1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
    1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
    1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234